Singapore Expats Forum

Freedom of speech!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sat, 15 Jul 2006 4:41 pm

spam wrote:
EADG wrote: I've always said what I wanted to here and have not had a problem with what I've posted

This is a pretty funny thread. Yes, deepinheartacardiff there is probably is an angry lady. Heck, all over sing there are are prob about 50 disappointed people. Nevertheless, my two cents on this is that EADG, you are lucky - you never stepped over that invisible line. My former name did - and had no idea there was a line - and Singapore's version of Big Brother killed the name - and you know what? I didn't like it - so now i spend my time elsewhere - or with my children...

well I certainly don't blame you at all

I as well miss out, because I post in both forums, though I felt there might be some wierd kind of ally/traitor issue if one were to continue doing so

they serve different functions and have their own intrinsic value - this one is more open, more people, more variety; the other is a more concentrated group, maybe more westerners, more chatty

I use these forums mostly to give and get info, though I suppose I also when bored or sick at home like I have been all week, get silly sometimes too

but agree that your time is better spent elsewhere than either of these boards

my guess is that they moved the site to exclude even more people, maybe the URL leaked out, anyway, hope that's not the case
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 15 Jul 2006 6:27 pm

EADG wrote:my guess is that they moved the site to exclude even more people, maybe the URL leaked out, anyway, hope that's not the case

EADG,

Funny you should say that, it was my thoughts as well especially after someone over there questions who the 2 or 3 unknown new registered members were considering they had not posting anything.

Oh well, I'm in agreement with you as far as both performing different functions. Anyway, as you said, I hope that's not the case. It would be sad to exclude those of you who post in both places because of some poor deluded forumer's ego. Oh, it seems like it is free speech as long as they like you otherwise your are not allowed to speak at all. Don't seem much difference in the end analysis. Interesting that their self-moderation, had it been practiced here, would have precluded the need for a new board at all.

Anyway, I've said it before, and I'll say it again. As far as I'm concerned, if they want to come back great. If not, I'll understand that as well. While I am short in stature, I'm a lot bigger than people think.

I'll not say anymore on this topic on this thread. :-#

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sat, 15 Jul 2006 7:55 pm

EADG wrote:my guess is that they moved the site to exclude even more people, maybe the URL leaked out

funny. that was one of my first thoughts when the site went down the second time. hope i'm wrong too, but it's telling that more than one of us gets that sense.

it's ironic. this site was abandoned for not being 'open' enough yet it is more open in some ways. look, we're even discussing the 'other' site openly! hope everyone comes back. i miss them.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Sat, 15 Jul 2006 8:28 pm

Hmmm, its all rather interesting. Actually I think I was the one who has posed the question on who the new members were and since they hadn't posted, were we always going to be a small, cliquey group?

I don't get that sense of the other board wanting to be very exclusive because of certain posts that were made to the effect but at this point, what do I know?

All I can say tis a shame, because I like both.
One man's meat is another's poison.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sat, 15 Jul 2006 10:40 pm

Global Citizen wrote:Hmmm, its all rather interesting. Actually I think I was the one who has posed the question on who the new members were and since they hadn't posted, were we always going to be a small, cliquey group?

I don't get that sense of the other board wanting to be very exclusive because of certain posts that were made to the effect but at this point, what do I know?

hmmm....I don't think I saw those posts, so I can't say

though by virtue of the fact that you don't know if that's actually the case may be testimony that it's just still down, though I don't care to speculate, whatever happens, happens

while I could understand myself and others not welcome, I don't see why you wouldn't be, people like you

agree too, that it would be a shame, it would relagate the site as being the internet equivalent of Appalachia
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 16 Jul 2006 11:49 am

EADG wrote:agree too, that it would be a shame, it would relagate the site as being the internet equivalent of Appalachia

Careful now! :wink:

My mom's originally from the coal mining camps of West 'by god' Virginia. Little town of Bluefield ~ 2500 when she left. only about 10k now. Think all the mines have petered out already. :)

stefan

Postby stefan » Sun, 16 Jul 2006 12:15 pm

That explains your thinking process.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 16 Jul 2006 2:44 pm

stefan wrote:That explains your thinking process.

And your excuse is? :???:

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sun, 16 Jul 2006 8:10 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
EADG wrote:agree too, that it would be a shame, it would relagate the site as being the internet equivalent of Appalachia

Careful now! :wink:

My mom's originally from the coal mining camps of West 'by god' Virginia. Little town of Bluefield ~ 2500 when she left. only about 10k now. Think all the mines have petered out already. :)

well only you, me, and MHB would have understood that anyway

but interesting concept, no, internet-interbred? there's actually 'mountain people' not far from where I grew up, where there's something like three last names in all of their villages

scary to think something like that exists so close to Manhattan...
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sun, 16 Jul 2006 8:16 pm

stefan is kinda like banana, only not funny

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 16 Jul 2006 9:22 pm

EADG wrote:stefan is kinda like banana, only not funny

oh. you mean he's just a fruit?

Grim Reaper
Regular
Regular

Postby Grim Reaper » Sun, 16 Jul 2006 9:30 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:it's ironic. this site was abandoned for not being 'open' enough yet it is more open in some ways. look, we're even discussing the 'other' site openly! hope everyone comes back. i miss them.

Well, so easy to say that this site is 'open'.

Let's see if that is really true.

This singaporexpat.com site clearly gives unreliable, unsubstantial and outdated information and advice on all kinds of subjects:

A moderator who has never been in Germany and then giving advice on the job market for SAP consultants in Germany (Why go Germany when being a SAP consultant in Singapore? The Singapore market has a SHORTAGE of good SAP consultants, one wonders why OP's hubby's career is not going anywhere... If hubby wants, I can give the contactdetails of a good headhunter that is dying to interview a good and experienced SAP consultant for a German MNC here in Singapore) or talking about the probability of having sensors placed underground at Singapore's busstops (in fact Singapore has such a system already for more than a year), or another mod here giving outdated info like the long ago interviews when applying for PR status here (no interviews for PR applications whatsoever).

For all those with questions like this and others, who wanna have more and better info: (Edited by Pal: Please see last post of this thread)

Let's see whether this site is open enough to let one mention the url for the discussed singaporebel site.

Unfortunately the singaporebel site is now down, due to maintenance and required updates, but try it later this week and you will find the site.
Time will come....

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sun, 16 Jul 2006 9:38 pm

Grim Reaper wrote:
A moderator who has never been in Germany and then giving advice on the job market of SAP consultants in Germany

I was referring to the UK market, if you had read what I said you would have seen I said: " I have never been to Germany". Incidentally I gave no advice on the market for SAP engineers in Germany whatsoever, kindly get your facts right!.

This is what I said;

I really don't know about social benefits in Germany as I have no information and have never been there.

or talking about the probability of having sensors placed underground at Singapore's busstops (in fact Singapore has such a system already for more than a year)

I said probability because I would not know; I haven't been to Singapore since November 2004!

Plavt.
Last edited by Plavt on Sun, 16 Jul 2006 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sun, 16 Jul 2006 9:50 pm

Grim Reaper wrote:
The Singapore market has a SHORTAGE of good SAP consultants, one wonders why OP's hubby's career is not going anywhere...

There was no mention of 'hubbys career not going anywhere', one can assume the OP and her partner have their own reasons for wanting to leave Singapore.

Plavt.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 16 Jul 2006 9:55 pm

Hi Grim Reaper. Nice to see you. You are welcome to stay as long as you want. Even if it's hit and run.

As you are undoubtably aware, I do know who you are as you used this nick to send me you last PM.

What you may not be aware of is I also have every pm you ever sent to me in all your various guises. Makes for an interesting PDF file.

As I said, you are welcome here (at least by me). I hold no grudges. I accept that you cannot help the way you are.

edited to add:
Unfortunately the singaporebel site is now down, due to maintenance and required updates, but try it later this week and you will find the site.

The way I heard it was the smilies crashed first and then the whole site URL crashed. And with the Administrator outstation to boot. Nobody is jumping up and down with glee here. Definitely due for maintenance. Unfortunately that is the problem with free sites. Down for maintenance usually will have an underconstruction page not a 404 error. The entire URL is down with a 404 Error not just the Singaporebel site.