Singapore Expats Forum

Any one use Finasteride (aka Propecia in the US)?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
michaeldistel
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun, 18 Jun 2006
Location: Bukit Batok

Any one use Finasteride (aka Propecia in the US)?

Postby michaeldistel » Tue, 11 Jul 2006 12:44 pm

Hey all!

I'm seeking information about a drug call Finasteride (aka Propecia), for you guys who don't know Finasteride is used to treat hair loss in men. :(

My hair has started to falling out lately and with every male in my famly lossing his hair young, I did a bit of research about different types of treatments and the one recommended by everyone is a drug called Finasteride, I just want to know if anyone else on the form uses it or knows anything about it. Does it work, where do you get it, how much is it, you know all the normal questions.

Cheers
Michael

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34257
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 11 Jul 2006 1:34 pm

Hi Michael,

Heard of it. Know it's bloody expensive. Also know that if you quit using it the hair disappears as well. End analysis, bald is better or a rug (hairweave). I have also heard that it will not guarantee a full head of hair, just hair growth with no guarantee on the quantity or where.

I've had a quick-drying hairstyle since I was about 28. That was 30 years ago. Hasn't stopped my from getting married several times, hasn't stopped me from father a nice brood of kids. Fortunately I've never been vain.

Effectiveness of PROPECIA

In the longest reported controlled clinical study of men with certain types of male pattern hair loss, 2 out of 3 men on PROPECIA regrew hair, as measured by actual hair counts over time. Whereas all men in the study taking a placebo (not PROPECIA) lost hair.

Important Information About PROPECIA

In clinical studies for PROPECIA, a small number of men experienced certain sexual side effects, such as less desire for sex, difficulty in achieving an erection, or a decrease in the amount of semen. Each of these side effects occurred in less than 2% of men and went away in men who stopped taking PROPECIA because of them.

PROPECIA is for the treatment of male pattern hair loss in MEN ONLY and should NOT be used by women or children.
When you could see results

Take PROPECIA daily and you could see results in as little as 3 months. If you stop taking PROPECIA, however, your results will gradually go away over 12 months. And if PROPECIA hasn’t worked in 12 months, further treatment is unlikely to be of benefit.

Although results will vary, generally you will not be able to grow back all the hair you have lost.


Hope this helps

sms

workerholik
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri, 22 Jun 2007

Propecia

Postby workerholik » Fri, 22 Jun 2007 5:52 pm

michaeldistel wrote:Hey all!

I'm seeking information about a drug call Finasteride (aka Propecia), for you guys who don't know Finasteride is used to treat hair loss in men. :(

My hair has started to falling out lately and with every male in my famly lossing his hair young, I did a bit of research about different types of treatments and the one recommended by everyone is a drug called Finasteride, I just want to know if anyone else on the form uses it or knows anything about it. Does it work, where do you get it, how much is it, you know all the normal questions.

Cheers
Michael



Hi Michael,
My husband now taking propecia & it show good result. It is recommended by e local clinic doctor. I was told that Propecia is E
only FDA-approved pill to treat male pattern hair loss. He have been on it about 6mths. The side effect for 2% of men who might experience
difficulty in achieving an erection fortunately do not occur on him. Initially I buy it from e clinic but it is really very expensive and now I buy it
from Yahoo's Spore auction. But one sad thing is that it got to be on long term basic. Here are the link to
Propecia "http://www.propecia.com/finasteride/propecia/consumer/tried_other_treatments.jsp?mtc=3BODY"

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34257
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 22 Jun 2007 6:59 pm

workerholik,

You are really brilliant! Not what you would call the brightest bulb in the chandelier though. Why bother to post the link to the same Propecia site when it was already linked in my original response. You even wrote the same infor that I quoted from the site. And you registered just to do that? #-o

:roll:

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Fri, 22 Jun 2007 7:45 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:workerholik,

You are really brilliant! Not what you would call the brightest bulb in the chandelier though. Why bother to post the link to the same Propecia site when it was already linked in my original response. You even wrote the same infor that I quoted from the site. And you registered just to do that? #-o

:roll:
:P: Workerholik is to busy working to notice your link! :lol:

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1827
Joined: Sat, 20 Aug 2005

Postby earthfriendly » Sat, 23 Jun 2007 7:23 am

Nothing wrong with fixing a physical trait that bothers you. Male or female. Never heard of this product but would be interesting to hear what users have to say. Not that I need it myself. I see hubby developing a bald spot and have hinted he does something about it. To no avail. Some men just have this huge ego or nonchalant attitude that so long as they bring home the bacon, all's fine and dandy and their female partner happily contented. :roll:.

It is fine 80 % of the time since he is much taller than me and the spot not visible. Trouble starts when we are in bed and my pillow's positioned higher than his. It was somewhat invisible until I get my lasik done 2 years ago and now it's all clear to me now. Ignorance (myopia?) is bliss, sometimes.

I have 2 photographs on my mantle and they do nothing to assuage me fear. On the right is his paternal grandfather with full head of hair in his ripe old age and to the left, a photo of his maternal grandfather. And guess what ? :(

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Sat, 23 Jun 2007 11:37 am

earthfriendly wrote:Nothing wrong with fixing a physical trait that bothers you. Male or female. Never heard of this product but would be interesting to hear what users have to say. Not that I need it myself. I see hubby developing a bald spot and have hinted he does something about it. To no avail. Some men just have this huge ego or nonchalant attitude that so long as they bring home the bacon, all's fine and dandy and their female partner happily contented. :roll:.

It is fine 80 % of the time since he is much taller than me and the spot not visible. Trouble starts when we are in bed and my pillow's positioned higher than his. It was somewhat invisible until I get my lasik done 2 years ago and now it's all clear to me now. Ignorance (myopia?) is bliss, sometimes.

I have 2 photographs on my mantle and they do nothing to assuage me fear. On the right is his paternal grandfather with full head of hair in his ripe old age and to the left, a photo of his maternal grandfather. And guess what ? :(
Oh dear me, I don't think it is ego, more of indifference, like saying if you don't like me for who i am, or for how i look now, that's hard luck! At 57 I'm starting also to thin on top, no bald patch yet, although at 16 i found my first grey hair, and thought it had something to do with working in the building industry, cement and lime and all that, by the time i was 25 i was quite distinguished looking, it bothered other people more than myself, although only to the extent, they wanted to experiment with colours, while i was sleeping! After a heavy night on the boozs one night :shock: awaking to find my hair dyed, I decided to keep it that colour for a few months and dyed it once or twice myself, until I realised that I was indifferent, about it, and thought saving the money was more of an asset!

Many young, good looking ladies prefered the distinguished look, and remarked on the fact, that I should have left it grey. I was working the nightclub door scene, at the time.
So indifference basically got the better of me, and by the time i was 40, I was white, not grey! and not shocked either!

Hereditary I'm afraid! I tried a dye once again, and everyone was so shocked, that I gave up, trying to please others!
It is fine 80 % of the time since he is much taller than me and the spot not visible. Trouble starts when we are in bed and my pillow's positioned higher than his. It was somewhat invisible until I get my lasik done 2 years ago and now it's all clear to me now. Ignorance (myopia?) is bliss, sometimes.


The thing to do is for him to have a tattoo on his head, saying this is earthfriendly, and natural! :D

I have 2 photographs on my mantle and they do nothing to assuage me fear. On the right is his paternal grandfather with full head of hair in his ripe old age and to the left, a photo of his maternal grandfather. And guess what ? :(
Well true love never runs smooth my dear! Be thankful for what you have, it could be worse! :P

Plavt
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4289
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Sat, 23 Jun 2007 3:04 pm

earthfriendly wrote:Nothing wrong with fixing a physical trait that bothers you. Male or female. Never heard of this product but would be interesting to hear what users have to say. Not that I need it myself. I see hubby developing a bald spot and have hinted he does something about it. To no avail. Some men just have this huge ego or nonchalant attitude that so long as they bring home the bacon, all's fine and dandy and their female partner happily contented. :roll:.

It is fine 80 % of the time since he is much taller than me and the spot not visible. Trouble starts when we are in bed and my pillow's positioned higher than his. It was somewhat invisible until I get my lasik done 2 years ago and now it's all clear to me now. Ignorance (myopia?) is bliss, sometimes.

I have 2 photographs on my mantle and they do nothing to assuage me fear. On the right is his paternal grandfather with full head of hair in his ripe old age and to the left, a photo of his maternal grandfather. And guess what ? :(


Ain't much you can do about what nature intended.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34257
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 23 Jun 2007 3:21 pm

Guess I was just lucky. I found three women who became my wives and weren't hung up on the shallowness of looks but more in the person that I am. I've been bald since I was 28 & will be bald when I reach 60 in a couple months. Way I see it, god only made a few perfect heads..........




he put hair on the rest to hide the mistakes. :wink:

User avatar
Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2306
Joined: Tue, 19 Jul 2005

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sat, 23 Jun 2007 4:52 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Way I see it, god only made a few perfect heads..........




he put hair on the rest to hide the mistakes. :wink:


:lol:

Actually, I think he made a mistake even with my hair... :x

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34257
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 23 Jun 2007 6:07 pm

Don't tell me........................A bad hair day? :o

User avatar
Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2306
Joined: Tue, 19 Jul 2005

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sat, 23 Jun 2007 6:54 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Don't tell me........................A bad hair day? :o


Everyday.

I just calculated. 5 minutes a day of blow-drying my unruly hair (so it looks half decent) for the next 40 years is a staggering 1216 hours or 50.6 days... The alternative is re-bonding twice a year at $200 each time for the next 40 years... $16,000. You guys should be glad you have no hair. Think of all the time and/or money you save!

On another irrelevant note (sorry OP I have no experience with hair growth lotions), I wonder if baldness is evolutionary, now that we don't need so much hair to keep warm, what with clothes and global warming and all that. Perhaps it's a matter of time before everyone will be bald?

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Sun, 24 Jun 2007 12:13 am

Wind In My Hair wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Don't tell me........................A bad hair day? :o


Everyday.

I just calculated. 5 minutes a day of blow-drying my unruly hair (so it looks half decent) for the next 40 years is a staggering 1216 hours or 50.6 days... The alternative is re-bonding twice a year at $200 each time for the next 40 years... $16,000. You guys should be glad you have no hair. Think of all the time and/or money you save!

On another irrelevant note (sorry OP I have no experience with hair growth lotions), I wonder if baldness is evolutionary, now that we don't need so much hair to keep warm, what with clothes and global warming and all that. Perhaps it's a matter of time before everyone will be bald?


So blow drying your hair is related to your nick? :lol: 50$ for a good sheep shearing tool will do the trick, and I'm sure you have the looks, that the guys won't even notice! Besides your personality takes the limelight too, you know! Try bald for a couple of months,, but only your head :oops: !

User avatar
Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2306
Joined: Tue, 19 Jul 2005

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sun, 24 Jun 2007 7:21 am

ksl wrote:So blow drying your hair is related to your nick? :lol:

Ha ha, quick eye today, ksl. I didn't even see the connection. No, my nick is when I'm on the water in a speeding boat, without a care in the world, and the last thing I'd be thinking about is looking decent for clients. Too bad I'm not on a boat everyday...


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests