Singapore Expats Forum

cabin crew salary

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
rey

cabin crew salary

Postby rey » Mon, 10 Jul 2006 5:43 pm

hi guys, im confused about the salary. wat i heard was the salary for cabin crew is 3500SGD. is it the minimum figure or the max that can be earned? is it true that air steward get higher payment coz longer flying hour? during the training period, the amount of payment is 1350SGD for degree holder and extra 350SGD for accommodation ( correct me if im wrong). is the amount enough to live in singapore? some said not and some living in condo. y huge gap? do i have to pay tax if im not a singaporean?

dilemma_nic
Regular
Regular

Postby dilemma_nic » Mon, 10 Jul 2006 6:12 pm

hey rey,
lets not limit our point of view to simply what the SIA had advertised.
there are many things that are unwritten and hidden clauses, etc.

From what i understand is, everyone will only receive basic pay during the training period and it is paid according to ur education level whereas allowances varies and it solely depends on what kinda flights u are scheduled for.
For a male steward, generally based on physique and nature, u will tend to get longer flights? and that means higher allowances..but it really all depends...

and u heard of self contentment? its not a matter of how much u earn but a matter of how you control ur spending power...if ure easily satisfied, u can always settle for less luxury style in singapore, etc.
Even if u were to earn so so much in singapore, but ur spending power is high, i can say that whatever high pay you receive is never enough for you...

so yah..it all depends on how you view it.

anyway...i think ure not liable for income tax....

blancD
Chatter
Chatter

Postby blancD » Mon, 10 Jul 2006 10:00 pm

i have to agree with nic,
with higher income you tend to spend more. Salary doesnt matter, the given salary by SIA is sufficient to sustain your living for a month. It depends on your spending. Its no point giving you 3.5k a month but you're spending 5k a month. back to what nic said, you can always opt for a more decent, less luxury lifestyle.
"City of Ang3Ls"

dilemma_nic
Regular
Regular

Postby dilemma_nic » Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:48 pm

blancD wrote:i have to agree with nic,
with higher income you tend to spend more. Salary doesnt matter, the given salary by SIA is sufficient to sustain your living for a month. It depends on your spending. Its no point giving you 3.5k a month but you're spending 5k a month. back to what nic said, you can always opt for a more decent, less luxury lifestyle.

:D :) :o :oops: :P :wink: :lol:

Matt10
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Matt10 » Wed, 12 Jul 2006 2:45 pm

I just asked some SIA stewardesses and they said that they earn about 4k to 5k a month. :D

dilemma_nic
Regular
Regular

Postby dilemma_nic » Wed, 12 Jul 2006 2:57 pm

thats gd!
but dont get too complacent ppl!

with higher pay...more temptations... :oops:

Matt10
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Matt10 » Wed, 12 Jul 2006 7:22 pm

Does pay increases as one work longer for the company?

Upon promotion, whats the pay like? from normal crew to lead crew or purser. :D

ssszeee

Postby ssszeee » Thu, 13 Jul 2006 4:23 am

It seems 3500K around totally. The salary won't be as high as you mentioned?

Matt10
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Matt10 » Thu, 13 Jul 2006 9:16 am

ssszeee wrote:It seems 3500K around totally. The salary won't be as high as you mentioned?

Yes, it is even more than 3.5k a month. Normally, an average crew bring home about 4k.

Anyway, 2k is already enough for a living in Singapore. :D

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 13 Jul 2006 1:29 pm

Matt10,

Please, will you think before hitting the submit button.

2000 is not enough in Singapore. The only way it's enough is if you live with mommy and daddy. But if you are a real adult, it won't make it. At least not in a manner that would reflect your status as a FS or FA.

That's the problem with a school kid trying to act like an adult. You are probably still getting an allowance from mommy.

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Thu, 13 Jul 2006 1:40 pm

Bloody hell. I studied and attempted certifications like mad to hit just slightly above that :evil:

And I don't get to see the world...
And at a tender age of 27...

Matt10 wrote:I just asked some SIA stewardesses and they said that they earn about 4k to 5k a month. :D
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Thu, 13 Jul 2006 2:41 pm

Matt10 wrote:Yes, it is even more than 3.5k a month. Normally, an average crew bring home about 4k.

You hope.

Plavt.

snowball

Postby snowball » Thu, 13 Jul 2006 3:36 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Matt10,

Please, will you think before hitting the submit button.

2000 is not enough in Singapore. The only way it's enough is if you live with mommy and daddy. But if you are a real adult, it won't make it. At least not in a manner that would reflect your status as a FS or FA.

That's the problem with a school kid trying to act like an adult. You are probably still getting an allowance from mommy.

Based on personal experience, 2000 is enough to survive but you cannot save anything.

My former pay in cash was about 1500 (minus cpf and all), rent 500, bills about 300. Still have about 700 to survive on.

700 for 30 days, daily budget of about 23, which we don't spend everyday, except for the meal part. (food is cheap here in Singapore, unless you are extravagant and have to eat in restaurant daily) so I have about 100 to spend every weekend.

For me, I still could live quite comfortably then. All without help from mommy and daddy.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Thu, 13 Jul 2006 11:26 pm

Snowball,

That is fair comment and a good break down of what things have cost you but you seem to be missing a few expenses such as medicine and dentistry along with clothes, insurance and transport. I think it is these items that you need more and more as you get older that sundaymorningstaple has incorportated into what may be called a general budget.

Plavt.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Jul 2006 12:02 am

snowball wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:At least not in a manner that would reflect your status as a FS or FA.

Based on personal experience, 2000 is enough to survive but you cannot save anything.

My former pay in cash was about 1500 (minus cpf and all), rent 500, bills about 300. Still have about 700 to survive on.

700 for 30 days, daily budget of about 23, which we don't spend everyday, except for the meal part. (food is cheap here in Singapore, unless you are extravagant and have to eat in restaurant daily) so I have about 100 to spend every weekend.

For me, I still could live quite comfortably then. All without help from mommy and daddy.

Snowball, yes, you could live on that. As I said in my post "At least in the manner that would reflect your status ......" However, I'm not so sure about confortably. I did not say to just "survive".

Rent $500/mo (means you are renting an HDB Master Bedroom w/attached bath) Probably without hall or kitchen priviledges) Also probably cannot entertain. Not what you would call the lifestyle of an FA/FS.
Utilities ~$100/mo,
personal hygiene & makeup ($200/mo), There goes your $300/mo. Breakfast, lunch & dinner $23-25 day might make it but you'll be bored to tears soon enough.
Oops. Means you cannot go out at night as drinks will set you back $10-12 a pop. Movies also are probably out as well.
Oops, forgot you need to get to and from the airport from your rented room. $15/each way.
Polyclinic visits (flue is easy to pick up on airplanes - most used recycled air rather than pumping through fresh air).
Beauty parlor visits for hair, pedicures, manicures - oops. cannot, no money or cannot eat.
Life Insurance premiums, Health Ins (okay- airlines should furnish a very basic one).
Other transport costs (buses, MRT while in Singapore). Laundry/drycleaning bills.
You will have to have a TV because you will not be able to afford to go out, so you will also incur SCV costs.
Show me a Singaporean who can live without a mobile phone. Monthly subscription there or Hi card - both cost money.
And then comes the unforseen items like weddings, birthdays, CYN, house warmings and other gift giving ceremonies.
Oh yes, what are you going to use to buy clothes? Non-Uniform clothes that is?
So I think your view is a bit simplistic if you think you can live the high society lifestyle that an FA represents on $1600 a month without mommy & daddy's help.

sms

Edited to include the following:

This link to another thread should also help guage costs here. Several local opinions as well as others.
http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic33941.html
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Fri, 14 Jul 2006 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.