Singapore Expats Forum

Tax Inquiry

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

rocket

Tax Inquiry

Postby rocket » Sun, 09 Jul 2006 4:34 am

Hi everyone,

I used to work as an IT consultant in Singapore around 2001 and stayed there for about a year. I was not able to pay my taxes before I left. I've tried reaching out to IRAS by calling them and also checked out their website so that I can pay it overseas but they just keep transferring me to different offices. Anyways I'm going to have a long vacation in the near future and what I'm planning to do now is to go there and just pay for it myself.

My question is... would I have some problems with immigration because of my unpaid taxes and will they allow me to enter singapore?

I hope you can help me on this.

Thanks.

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Sun, 09 Jul 2006 1:16 pm

This all sounds rather strange. What was your status in Singapore? Didn't your company follow up with the tax authorities?
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

rocket

Postby rocket » Sun, 09 Jul 2006 2:11 pm

Hi Jpatokal,

The company closed (bankrupt) and that is the reason why I had to leave Singapore.

Thanks.

Fantastic

Re: Tax Inquiry

Postby Fantastic » Sun, 09 Jul 2006 6:23 pm

rocket wrote:

My question is... would I have some problems with immigration because of my unpaid taxes and will they allow me to enter singapore?

Your employer was supposed to submit a notification to the IRAS before the ceasation of your employment. It should have withheld money due to you for tax clearance.

If your employer did submit the notification and withheld money before you left, and the fact that you could leave, you are probably okay.

If your employer did not submit the notification or withheld money than it probably was held liable for the amount you owed to IRAS.

My guess is you won't have any problem with immigration because of unpaid taxes. I'm no expert in this area. (I would be more afraid of not able to leave than enter if I were you. :P )

Try writing them (IRAS) an e-mail. I got them to sent me a refund they appeared to have forgotten last year through an e-mail. :)

Cheers
"... If you can't think because you can't chew, try a banana" LKY

rocket

Postby rocket » Mon, 10 Jul 2006 2:07 pm

hi fantastic,

thank you for your insights. I've actually wrote them emails, got some reply from them. However, it has proven to be a very slow process since it took them 3 months to reply to my email everytime.

Do you think I would still have problems getting out of Singapore even if I pay my taxes? This would really suck.

Thanks.

Fantastic

Postby Fantastic » Tue, 11 Jul 2006 12:41 am

rocket wrote:
Do you think I would still have problems getting out of Singapore even if I pay my taxes?

My guess is no. Not for unpaid taxes anyway. :P
"... If you can't think because you can't chew, try a banana" LKY

rocket

Postby rocket » Tue, 11 Jul 2006 5:11 pm

Fantastic wrote:My guess is no. Not for unpaid taxes anyway. :P

Thanks for your guess ;) :lol: