Singapore Expats Forum

National day celebrations

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

National day celebrations are ...

Poll ended at Fri, 18 Aug 2006 12:30 am

A great way for the people to come together and celebrate the achievements of the nation
25%
A massive propaganda exercise and waste of the taxpayers money
75%

Total votes: 12

Yutenji
Chatter
Chatter

National day celebrations

Postby Yutenji » Sun, 09 Jul 2006 12:30 am

National Day celebrations are ...
(a) A great way for the people to come together and celebrate the achievements of the nation
(b) A massive propaganda exercise and waste of the taxpayers money

emiko08
Chatter
Chatter

Postby emiko08 » Wed, 12 Jul 2006 4:28 pm

national day is when people sell the free tickets online just to make some money!!! :P

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Re: National day celebrations

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 12 Jul 2006 6:45 pm

Yutenji wrote:National Day celebrations are ...
(a) A great way for the people to come together and celebrate the achievements of the nation

(c) a good way to give NS men something to do during their two years in service
(d) a chance for the PAP to don their whites which otherwise get mouldy in wardrobes
(e) the only time singaporeans take their eyes off their PCs or food and look at the sky for fireworks
(f) a subtle way to show other countries that we do have fighter planes and other weapons so don't bully us
(g) an opportunity for a long weekend to go on holiday!

:D

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Wed, 12 Jul 2006 7:17 pm

At WIMH

:D :D :D :D :D :D

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 12 Jul 2006 8:27 pm

It's also the ultimate "Hello Kitty" queue! 60,000 will go just to get the goodie bag that given away free. The only real reason they went other than to pick up their kid when it's over.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Wed, 12 Jul 2006 9:53 pm

so which is Windy's selection?

Wind In My Hair wrote:
Yutenji wrote:National Day celebrations are ...

(d) a chance for the PAP to don their whites which otherwise get mouldy in wardrobes
(e) the only time singaporeans take their eyes off their PCs or food and look at the sky for fireworks
(f) a subtle way to show other countries that we do have fighter planes and other weapons so don't bully us

:D
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 12 Jul 2006 11:28 pm

yes yes, how could i forget the goodie bag? thanks to SMS for pointing out the oversight. with Yutenji's permission, the full list is now:

(h) a channel for re-distribution of wealth where those who don't pay taxes queue to receive goodie bags paid for by those who do.

EADG wrote:so which is Windy's selection?

aiyoh, of course (a) lah! i am a patriotic citizen you know.

majulah singapura!

:cool:

marj_kee
Chatter
Chatter

Postby marj_kee » Thu, 13 Jul 2006 9:48 am

Wind In My Hair wrote:yes yes, how could i forget the goodie bag? thanks to SMS for pointing out the oversight. with Yutenji's permission, the full list is now:

(h) a channel for re-distribution of wealth where those who don't pay taxes queue to receive goodie bags paid for by those who do.

EADG wrote:so which is Windy's selection?

aiyoh, of course (a) lah! i am a patriotic citizen you know.

majulah singapura!
:cool:

HAHAHAHAHA !!! =D> i fell of my chair laughing ...

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Thu, 13 Jul 2006 9:17 pm

hmm, somehow i think my patriotism isn't being taken very seriously... :-k

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Fri, 14 Jul 2006 4:28 pm

National Day's are good things and we should all embrace the greater community that we oft times forget we are a part off. I think this os especially important for Singapore where people seem to be a little inward looking most of the time.
Be Like Water

bushbride
Regular
Regular

Postby bushbride » Fri, 14 Jul 2006 9:39 pm

Comment from a SPG National Day virgin....

what's the point in going to National Day celebrations if they already have the pre-test of the pre-test, then the real pre-test, then the real thing.

.....wouldn't you have already seen everything by the time the actual day comes around?
- Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. Da Vinci -

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Jul 2006 10:35 pm

That's why it's the ultimate "Hello Kitty" queue. So many want the goodie bag (220,000 I heard on the news tonight - with "26 items" inside) they have to have all the pre- events as the national stadium won't hold but around 50-60 thousand I'd guess.

Otherwise? Stampede! Broken doors, etc. just like the McDonalds in the "Hello Kitty" SNAFU a few years ago. All over a free dumb looking toy doll (and this was by grown MEN - not girls or women).

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Fri, 14 Jul 2006 11:02 pm

bushbride wrote:what's the point in going to National Day celebrations if they already have the pre-test of the pre-test, then the real pre-test, then the real thing.

more people get a chance to watch it 'live'. gives a sense of belonging. of being singaporean. part of nation building. and the performers get to rehearse in front of a real audience every time. quite clever actually.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 14 Jul 2006 11:51 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote: gives a sense of belonging. of being singaporean. part of nation building.

Celebrations are usually filled with Spontenaity? Sponteneous Singaporeans? Without being stagemanaged? You cannot even assemble more than four people without a permit! Look at the 100 Italians they tried to chase away from Chijmes after winning the world cup. And try getting up and dancing in the aisles at a rock concert!

Somehow that just doesn't quite ring true to me. Part of Nation building? 186 other countries have built nations with one only "national day" per year. Or are you trying to tell us that they need all that practice to get it right? Why do they need such a vulgar display of self aggrandisement? What sense of belonging. Most dream of immigrating but can't because not enough money so are resigned to just getting a goodiebag. National fervour is so high here that the government has got to give away goodies during elections to get the people to vote for them. Nah.........need a better reason than that! :P

Wait, let me go back and reread your list of reasons again! :wink: