Puzzle

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
Post Reply
User avatar
Fantastic
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 7:41 pm

Puzzle

Post by Fantastic » Thu, 06 Jul 2006 9:40 pm

Each child in a family has at least 2 brothers and 4 sisters. What is the smallest number of children the family might have?
"... If you can't think because you can't chew, try a banana" LKY

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39755
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Re: Puzzle

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Jul 2006 10:40 pm

Fantastic wrote:Each child in a family has at least 2 brothers and 4 sisters. What is the smallest number of children the family might have?
7
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
Fantastic
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 7:41 pm

Post by Fantastic » Thu, 06 Jul 2006 10:43 pm

Nope :)
"... If you can't think because you can't chew, try a banana" LKY

bunty
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 632
Joined: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 8:21 pm
Location: SG

Re: Puzzle

Post by bunty » Fri, 07 Jul 2006 9:56 am

Fantastic wrote:Each child in a family has at least 2 brothers and 4 sisters. What is the smallest number of children the family might have?
6

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39755
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 07 Jul 2006 9:57 am

Fantastic wrote:Nope :)
Sorry Fantastic.......

.....but you are wrong. Look at the problem again.

"smallest number of children the family might have?"

The operative word here is "might". If it might be a girl then there would be 5 girls and 2 boys. If it might be a boy then there would be 3 boys and 4 girls. Seven in either case. Unless you have a split personality that is...... :P

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
Fantastic
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 7:41 pm

Post by Fantastic » Fri, 07 Jul 2006 10:32 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Fantastic wrote:Nope :)
Sorry Fantastic.......

.....but you are wrong. Look at the problem again.

"smallest number of children the family might have?"

The operative word here is "might". If it might be a girl then there would be 5 girls and 2 boys. If it might be a boy then there would be 3 boys and 4 girls. Seven in either case. Unless you have a split personality that is...... :P

sms
Sorry sms :P

Another operative word is 'each' child.

Senario 1
If it might be a boy. There would be 3 boys and 4 girls. 'Each' of the girl would be short of one sister.

Senario 2
If it might be a girl. There would be 2 boys and 5 girls. 'Each' of the boy would be short in one brother.
"... If you can't think because you can't chew, try a banana" LKY

bunty
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 632
Joined: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 8:21 pm
Location: SG

Post by bunty » Fri, 07 Jul 2006 10:39 am

Fantastic wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Fantastic wrote:Nope :)
Sorry Fantastic.......

.....but you are wrong. Look at the problem again.

"smallest number of children the family might have?"

The operative word here is "might". If it might be a girl then there would be 5 girls and 2 boys. If it might be a boy then there would be 3 boys and 4 girls. Seven in either case. Unless you have a split personality that is...... :P

so whats the answer.....
sms
Sorry sms :P

Another operative word is 'each' child.

Senario 1
If it might be a boy. There would be 3 boys and 4 girls. 'Each' of the girl would be short of one sister.

Senario 2
If it might be a girl. There would be 2 boys and 5 girls. 'Each' of the boy would be short in one brother.

User avatar
Fantastic
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 7:41 pm

Post by Fantastic » Fri, 07 Jul 2006 10:42 am

Bunty

What are you trying to say? :P
No the answer is not 6.
"... If you can't think because you can't chew, try a banana" LKY

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11504
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Post by Strong Eagle » Fri, 07 Jul 2006 4:55 pm

8. Each child has at least 2 brothers, four sisters. Thus, a male child must be one of three, a female child, one of five.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 39755
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 1:26 pm
Answers: 10
Location: Retired on the Little Red Dot

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 07 Jul 2006 8:56 pm

Okay, SE is right. Although I did have to do a google to find the answer. :oops!:

I got put off by the simplicity of the answer. It wasn't a puzzle at all, just a normal math reasoning problem. I was looking for the puzzle or trick. The correct answer is the most obvious one. :?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

User avatar
Fantastic
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 7:41 pm

Post by Fantastic » Sat, 08 Jul 2006 7:57 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Okay, SE is right. Although I did have to do a google to find the answer. :oops!:
Yes, SE is right. =D>

You googled, I used the "hint". :oops:
http://www.syvum.com/cgi/online/serve.c ... ily1.tdf?0
"... If you can't think because you can't chew, try a banana" LKY

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11504
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 12:13 am
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Post by Strong Eagle » Thu, 20 Jul 2006 9:03 pm

I had my eight year old granddaughter over here for her first trip to Asia and I asked her this question. She answered, "Eight" in fifteen seconds. I asked her how she knew.

She said that a sister would need two sisters so that would be three, and a brother would need four brothers and that would be five. So simple... from the mouths of babes.

Post Reply

Return to “Leisure Chat, Jokes, Rubbish”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests