Singapore Expats Forum

Puzzle

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
User avatar
Fantastic
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed, 05 Apr 2006

Puzzle

Postby Fantastic » Thu, 06 Jul 2006 9:40 pm

Each child in a family has at least 2 brothers and 4 sisters. What is the smallest number of children the family might have?
"... If you can't think because you can't chew, try a banana" LKY

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34268
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Puzzle

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 06 Jul 2006 10:40 pm

Fantastic wrote:Each child in a family has at least 2 brothers and 4 sisters. What is the smallest number of children the family might have?


7

User avatar
Fantastic
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed, 05 Apr 2006

Postby Fantastic » Thu, 06 Jul 2006 10:43 pm

Nope :)
"... If you can't think because you can't chew, try a banana" LKY

bunty
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 632
Joined: Mon, 20 Mar 2006
Location: SG

Re: Puzzle

Postby bunty » Fri, 07 Jul 2006 9:56 am

Fantastic wrote:Each child in a family has at least 2 brothers and 4 sisters. What is the smallest number of children the family might have?


6

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34268
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 07 Jul 2006 9:57 am

Fantastic wrote:Nope :)


Sorry Fantastic.......

.....but you are wrong. Look at the problem again.

"smallest number of children the family might have?"

The operative word here is "might". If it might be a girl then there would be 5 girls and 2 boys. If it might be a boy then there would be 3 boys and 4 girls. Seven in either case. Unless you have a split personality that is...... :P

sms

User avatar
Fantastic
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed, 05 Apr 2006

Postby Fantastic » Fri, 07 Jul 2006 10:32 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Fantastic wrote:Nope :)


Sorry Fantastic.......

.....but you are wrong. Look at the problem again.

"smallest number of children the family might have?"

The operative word here is "might". If it might be a girl then there would be 5 girls and 2 boys. If it might be a boy then there would be 3 boys and 4 girls. Seven in either case. Unless you have a split personality that is...... :P

sms


Sorry sms :P

Another operative word is 'each' child.

Senario 1
If it might be a boy. There would be 3 boys and 4 girls. 'Each' of the girl would be short of one sister.

Senario 2
If it might be a girl. There would be 2 boys and 5 girls. 'Each' of the boy would be short in one brother.
"... If you can't think because you can't chew, try a banana" LKY

bunty
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 632
Joined: Mon, 20 Mar 2006
Location: SG

Postby bunty » Fri, 07 Jul 2006 10:39 am

Fantastic wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Fantastic wrote:Nope :)


Sorry Fantastic.......

.....but you are wrong. Look at the problem again.

"smallest number of children the family might have?"

The operative word here is "might". If it might be a girl then there would be 5 girls and 2 boys. If it might be a boy then there would be 3 boys and 4 girls. Seven in either case. Unless you have a split personality that is...... :P

so whats the answer.....
sms


Sorry sms :P

Another operative word is 'each' child.

Senario 1
If it might be a boy. There would be 3 boys and 4 girls. 'Each' of the girl would be short of one sister.

Senario 2
If it might be a girl. There would be 2 boys and 5 girls. 'Each' of the boy would be short in one brother.

User avatar
Fantastic
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed, 05 Apr 2006

Postby Fantastic » Fri, 07 Jul 2006 10:42 am

Bunty

What are you trying to say? :P
No the answer is not 6.
"... If you can't think because you can't chew, try a banana" LKY

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10413
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 07 Jul 2006 4:55 pm

8. Each child has at least 2 brothers, four sisters. Thus, a male child must be one of three, a female child, one of five.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34268
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 07 Jul 2006 8:56 pm

Okay, SE is right. Although I did have to do a google to find the answer. :oops!:

I got put off by the simplicity of the answer. It wasn't a puzzle at all, just a normal math reasoning problem. I was looking for the puzzle or trick. The correct answer is the most obvious one. :?

User avatar
Fantastic
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed, 05 Apr 2006

Postby Fantastic » Sat, 08 Jul 2006 7:57 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Okay, SE is right. Although I did have to do a google to find the answer. :oops!:


Yes, SE is right. =D>

You googled, I used the "hint". :oops:
http://www.syvum.com/cgi/online/serve.c ... ily1.tdf?0
"... If you can't think because you can't chew, try a banana" LKY

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10413
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 20 Jul 2006 9:03 pm

I had my eight year old granddaughter over here for her first trip to Asia and I asked her this question. She answered, "Eight" in fifteen seconds. I asked her how she knew.

She said that a sister would need two sisters so that would be three, and a brother would need four brothers and that would be five. So simple... from the mouths of babes.


Return to “Leisure Chat, Jokes, Rubbish”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest