Singapore Expats Forum

LOOK FOR A JOB IN SINGAPORE

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

BuLB

LOOK FOR A JOB IN SINGAPORE

Postby BuLB » Thu, 06 Jul 2006 2:11 pm

I am planning to go in singapore to spent my vacation leave and at the same time look for a job there.am an IT on the field of hardware/network administration and web developer and designer.I would like to ask on what to do before and when i am in singapore? any advice?

btw am from Philippines
jtlardera

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Thu, 06 Jul 2006 2:55 pm

I replied to you in your other post, but let me expound here:

When my company opened a vacancy for network admin, we got 22 applicants from singapore and 79 applicants from the Philippines. So you're already in a crowded field.

So, now figure in that any company that hires you will need to apply for a work permit with the MOM, thus incurring costs and hassle, when your skillset is not "unique" enough to even guarantee that the MoM will want to give you a Work Permit, and you're in trouble. Even my company's own HR junked all filipino applicants simply because the MoM would tell us to hire a singaporean first, and it would be too much of a hassle/delay to get the Work Permit for a filipino as compared to hiring a Singaporean the next day.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

BuLB

Postby BuLB » Mon, 10 Jul 2006 9:09 am

Okey thank you for the reply bermen..but what if i go in singapore then i would look for a job in there? is it a good idea rather than applying here in the philippines?
jtlardera

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:04 am

BuLB wrote:Okey thank you for the reply bermen..but what if i go in singapore then i would look for a job in there? is it a good idea rather than applying here in the philippines?

Nope. Most companies only accept applications online. Sure, you may be able to show up for the interview, but it still doesn't solve all the hassles i mentioned above. And, you'd have spent a truckload of Pesos just living here.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Terry Pratchett

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Thu, 13 Jul 2006 1:58 pm

Seems to me the only way is to find a recruitment agency or apply online at the job sites.
It's too dangerous playing with luck flying here and then starting the job hunt...
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

seajlnkh

Check out with MOM 1st before you come Singapore

Postby seajlnkh » Wed, 19 Jul 2006 11:32 pm

Singapore government is very protective of the local workforce especailly the work permit part. I would suggest you call up Ministry Of Manpower (if you can manage to talk to anyone there :x ) before you come Singapore.
Sunny Employment Agency (Your Manpower Solution)

einstein

Postby einstein » Fri, 21 Jul 2006 1:54 pm

Hi Bulb,

Here are my two cents advice :

1. Once you landed in the immigration, ensure you have a return ticket. (its a must).
2. Make sure you have a show-money as an assurance that you have enough to spend while vacationing/looking for a job here.
3. Buy Straittimes newspaper (saturday edition), visit jobsites (monster, jobsdb,etc.) and list down all the openings that applies to your profession.
4. If you still unable to find a job 1 week before your visa expire, go to ICA at Lavender MRT, and apply for a short-term visa for extension. Fyi, you need a local/PR sponsor for this to be approved.

Im assuming you already know some friends here. Make sure to use your "networking" ability (friends-of-friends) so you have more infos on job availability here.

Good luck to you.

einstein

brifusg
Regular
Regular

Re: Check out with MOM 1st before you come Singapore

Postby brifusg » Fri, 21 Jul 2006 5:18 pm

seajlnkh wrote:Singapore government is very protective of the local workforce especailly the work permit part. I would suggest you call up Ministry Of Manpower (if you can manage to talk to anyone there :x ) before you come Singapore.

You must be kidding. Call for what?

Our friend here will have hard time to find a job during vacation unless it's a really long vacation. Anyway, good luck to you, man.