Singapore Expats

Renouncing Pr while serving NS

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.
Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 1:20 pm

Renouncing Pr while serving NS

Post by yu2006sg » Tue, 04 Jul 2006 1:29 pm

Recently i have encountered 1 case whereby the child of this PR family was serving NS, and they decided to let the child to cancel his PR to go back to his home country to cure his health problem and less likely of wanting to come back for study or work. The immigration side seem to be no objection to this as they told them once they received the letter of discharging of the child from the army, they can do the cancellation within 1 day. However, the unit's HQ seem to be very sure that PR cant cancel their status while serving NS. This make the family in a dilema, and i do find out that in the Form of Explanatory Notes to Form 4 for registering PR stated by CMPB that NS liable PR are expected to serve Ns, should they renounce or lose their without serving or completing full time NS, this would have an adverse impact on any application by them in the future to work or study in the future. Hope anyone can come out with suggestions to help this situation? Can the unit side Strongly disapprove such request? Anyway all they need to do is to issue a letter.

User avatar
Posts: 3004
Joined: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 9:38 pm
Location: Terra Australis Incognita

Post by jpatokal » Thu, 06 Jul 2006 12:39 am

Get a lawyer. The bit about "without serving or completing" is a red herring, it just means that PR are expected to serve NS and, if you give up PR once, Singapore is not likely to give it back to you later.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests