Singapore Expats Forum

Crying babies (was MOE says Native English teachers needed!)

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 26 Jun 2006 2:05 pm

HB wrote:what do u do? #-o
do u teach at a neighbourhood school?
do u even teach at a school? #-o #-o

From the 2nd page of this thread..........

k1w1 wrote:I agree that the problem is not so much that local kids have an accent or use different words in different ways - I myself have a totally different accent and word usage than Americans, Brits and Aussies.

The problem really, is that kids (and parents!) are not able to reciprocate when "standard" English is used. Most of my students understand everything I say (sometimes, I still get asked why I say "I beg your pardon" when I didn't hear someone... sigh), but they are rarely able to speak in correct sentences or with the correct words. It is not snobbery or wanting anyone to speak like the queen, as I already pointed out, most "native speakers" don't do that anyway. If it were an accent problem, they would be in the same league as kiwi's and would just get laughed at for their "strange ways" - end of story.

I have assumed sooooo many times that some of my students speak another language at home, as the reason their English is so bad. I speak with their parents and quickly confirm this in my head, as mum and dad are having difficulty speaking (so that I can understand them) too. I ask them: what language does your family speak at home? and have been shocked again and again, to be told they only speak English.

The problem is that I teach English language. I have heard pretty much every appalling accent, grammar mistake and pronunciation issue ever made. It is my JOB to understand what people are saying, and to help them correct it when they are in my class. And frankly, it is really hard work understanding a lot of people here. And as I said, I work with this and am well used to it - imagine the majority of people who are not.

HB,

You really should read ALL of a thread before trying to impress others with your verbal wit......................... :roll:

HB

Postby HB » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 10:40 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
HB wrote:what do u do? #-o
do u even teach at a school? #-o #-o

From the 2nd page of this thread..........

k1w1 wrote:I agree that the problem is not so much that local kids have an accent or use different words in different ways - I myself have a totally different accent and word usage than Americans, Brits and Aussies.

The problem really, is that kids (and parents!) are not able to reciprocate when "standard" English is used. Most of my students understand everything I say (sometimes, I still get asked why I say "I beg your pardon" when I didn't hear someone... sigh), but they are rarely able to speak in correct sentences or with the correct words. It is not snobbery or wanting anyone to speak like the queen, as I already pointed out, most "native speakers" don't do that anyway. If it were an accent problem, they would be in the same league as kiwi's and would just get laughed at for their "strange ways" - end of story.

I have assumed sooooo many times that some of my students speak another language at home, as the reason their English is so bad. I speak with their parents and quickly confirm this in my head, as mum and dad are having difficulty speaking (so that I can understand them) too. I ask them: what language does your family speak at home? and have been shocked again and again, to be told they only speak English.

The problem is that I teach English language. I have heard pretty much every appalling accent, grammar mistake and pronunciation issue ever made. It is my JOB to understand what people are saying, and to help them correct it when they are in my class. And frankly, it is really hard work understanding a lot of people here. And as I said, I work with this and am well used to it - imagine the majority of people who are not.

HB,

You really should read ALL of a thread before trying to impress others with your verbal wit......................... :roll:

well gee duh, yes i did read all of this thread, so i don't think you should go round assuming what i have and have not read. Yes i get the point that k1w1 teaches english, but i'm asking where. like you know, in a school? at home? private tuition? at a tuition centre? a language centre?
you get my drift?

and in what way exactly am i trying to impress others with my verbal wit?
all ive done is ask if k1w1 really know what kids are like at a neighbourhood school, and what kind of kids he teaches.

ya dont have to go off on one, alright?
Last edited by HB on Tue, 27 Jun 2006 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HB

Postby HB » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 10:44 am

Wind In My Hair wrote:it's nice to hear the perspective of a 'native english teacher' living in singapore. moreover k1w1 is exhibiting patience and courtesy, and is addressing the topic under discussion. i think HB could learn more than just english from her example.

huh? my example of what?
well i think k1w1 is a rude pretentious know-it-all, and i don't see how he's exhibiting patience and courtesy at all.

edit: i meant SMS. who posted what i thought was a rather rude reply.
Last edited by HB on Tue, 27 Jun 2006 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PhantomX

Postby PhantomX » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 12:02 pm

HB wrote:
Wind In My Hair wrote:it's nice to hear the perspective of a 'native english teacher' living in singapore. moreover k1w1 is exhibiting patience and courtesy, and is addressing the topic under discussion. i think HB could learn more than just english from her example.

huh? my example of what?
well i think k1w1 is a rude pretentious know-it-all, and i don't see how he's exhibiting patience and courtesy at all.

Look at what you've just written and then think about it.
Who is really rude then?
Or does the whole thing beyond you?
Beginning to look that way doesnt it!
X

HB

Postby HB » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 12:17 pm

PhantomX wrote:
HB wrote:

huh? my example of what?

Look at what you've just written and then think about it.
Who is really rude then?
Or does the whole thing beyond you?
Beginning to look that way doesnt it!

geez, some people...
why'd i even bother comin on here in the first place, its obviously full of uncivilised people.
make one point/ challenge, and suddenly a whole army has decended upon me.
is it really that wrong that i chose to disagree with the god that is k1w1? that i questioned him and made a challenge?

its nice to note that no one even bothered to ask me what i do and why i challenged k1w1 before choosing to have a go at me.

well let me tell u now. i'm from england and have been teaching english and literature at a neighbourhood secondary school since sept 2005.
so i do know a bit of what i'm talking about.

and i thought these forums were a good way of meeting new people and talking about isses. ha! what a fool i am. instead i find myself amongst unfriendly people who are quick to make assumptions and judge.

not for me, thanks.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 1:57 pm

HB wrote:is it really that wrong that i chose to disagree with the god that is k1w1? that i questioned him and made a challenge?

well let me tell u now. i'm from england and have been teaching english and literature at a neighbourhood secondary school since sept 2005.

for an english teacher it's interesting how you've misread the meaning of several posts here. plus you should be more aware than most that the written word carries different nuances from the spoken word and perhaps your tone came out a little antagonising which explains the responses you got?

and if you've taught in neighbourhood schools before and know what it's like there, the responses you got here are mild in comparison so it's hard to understand why you're so upset.

too many inconsistencies for me to fathom. anyway all the best to you!

HB

Postby HB » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 2:13 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:
HB wrote:is it really that wrong that i chose to disagree with the god that is k1w1? that i questioned him and made a challenge?

for an english teacher it's interesting how you've misread the meaning of several posts here. plus you should be more aware than most that the written word carries different nuances from the spoken word and perhaps your tone came out a little antagonising which explains the responses you got?

and if you've taught in neighbourhood schools before and know what it's like there, the responses you got here are mild in comparison so it's hard to understand why you're so upset.

too many inconsistencies for me to fathom. anyway all the best to you!

good point u made.
about the fact that the written word carries different nuances from the spoken word. it seems like everyone knows this, so why did they take it to be 'antagonizing'?
i asked a simple question, to clarify what k1w1 had written, and suddenly i'm attacked left right and centre. with everyone assuming one thing or another about my tone etc.

as for your next paragraph.
i know what to expect from the kids at my school.
i was not expecting something like that from a bunch of mature working adults.
but its true what they say. adults are usually worse than kids.

inconsistensies?
what am i being inconsistent about?

this is ridiculous.
i can't believe that one simple challenge has led to this.
thought it was open to opinions and discussions!
so i came on intending to share my view of the neighbourhood schools and english situation, and i get sarcastic and rude responses from people who are suppose to be 'moderators' etc.

maybe you're not used to the way i talk, or maybe its because i don't post on forums much, but the assumptions i got from people is just uncalled for.

and for the record, i'm not upset, i'm bewildered.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 2:31 pm

HB wrote:i know what to expect from the kids at my school.
i was not expecting something like that from a bunch of mature working adults. but its true what they say. adults are usually worse than kids.

oh you're right, we're much worse! :lol: wait till you see some of the mud-slinging that we get into sometimes. :wink: and just like kids, we can forget all about a fight and be friends again soon after. not a bad quality, i would think.

HB wrote:i came on intending to share my view of the neighbourhood schools and english situation.

please do. i for one would be interested. and if i may say so, if you had done that right at the start instead of challenging another poster, your welcome may have been different. still, it's never too late.

welcome to the forum, by the way! hope you stay.

HB wrote:maybe you're not used to the way i talk, or maybe its because i don't post on forums much, but the assumptions i got from people is just uncalled for.

maybe. understand also that some of us have been posting here for some time and have developed a certain rhythm or feel for how things are here, which obviously is unknown to newcomers. i for one sometimes forget what it's like to be a newcomer, so it's good to be reminded by those like yourself.

there have also been rude trouble-makers in the past and the regular posters do tend to pull together when that happens. not saying you are one, just explaining why you felt that some of us were 'closing ranks' when we perceived, rightly or wrongly, what was happening.

perhaps it was all a misunderstanding in this case, and the best way to get around the false assumptions is to get to know each other better. so do stay on and post more. it's all good. :D
Last edited by Wind In My Hair on Tue, 27 Jun 2006 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 2:32 pm

HB wrote:so i came on intending to share my view of the neighbourhood schools and english situation, and i get sarcastic and rude responses from people who are suppose to be 'moderators' etc.

............i'm not upset, i'm bewildered.

HB wrote:what do u do?
do u even teach at a school?

I am very sorry HB. Upon reading your original post I didn't see what were you sharing with us. Could you be a tad more specific? Apparently 'my' reading skills are pretty bad because for the life of me all I see is uncapitalized sentences with poor spelling which makes rather pointed demands. Not the stuff of educators that's for sure. If I misconstrued your intentions it may because of these reasons.

Please accept my apologies if your prose was not intended as was written.

sms

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 2:39 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
HB wrote:do u teach at a neighbourhood school?

all I see is uncapitalized sentences with poor spelling

yes yes, HB you made the unforgiveable mistake of spelling neighbourhood with a "u" which is very unamerican. :lol:

now will you two please kiss and make up?

ps: SMS, all my sentences are uncapitalised. i guess i must be in for a spanking. :mrgreen:

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 2:52 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:ps: SMS, all my sentences are uncapitalised. i guess i must be in for a spanking. :mrgreen:

You like getting spanked? If you get spanked, do you shout in proper english?

;)

:twisted:
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett