Singapore Expats Forum

hi..stewardness..

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
babebe

hi..stewardness..

Postby babebe » Sat, 01 Jul 2006 6:42 pm

i will like to go for the interview..but have some questions to ask..hope that can have your help & advise.
if my height is shorter than 1.58??
wat are most of the questions that will be ask??
if anyone have go for the interview today..hope can share with us...thanks!! :wink:

Matt10
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Matt10 » Sat, 01 Jul 2006 8:38 pm

If u are shorter than 158cm, you will be asked to LEAVE!! But if the person who take your height is very nice, she will let you go to the next round..

Try Gulf Air, 156cm.
Emirates, is not based on height but have to reach your hand to a certain height.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sat, 01 Jul 2006 9:18 pm

Matt10 wrote:But if the person who take your height is very nice, she will let you go to the next round..

Matt10 do stop posting this nonsense here a former stewardess mentioned they take your height several times. You are just giving people false hope which my colleague sms has already told you!

Plavt.

lolitaa
Regular
Regular

Postby lolitaa » Sun, 02 Jul 2006 1:16 pm

NO.
I saw a few girls who are shorter then 158 and were told to reach to a certain marking at the wall. So they actually allow you in if you could reach the arm reach! don't give up. Ive witness it myself! its SIA.

nana07
Regular
Regular

Postby nana07 » Sun, 02 Jul 2006 1:33 pm

babebe,

hope u went to try it out.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sun, 02 Jul 2006 2:20 pm

lolitaa wrote:NO.
I saw a few girls who are shorter then 158 and were told to reach to a certain marking at the wall. So they actually allow you in if you could reach the arm reach! don't give up. Ive witness it myself! its SIA.

How do you know they were shorter than the required height? If what you say above was true then they would state that in their advertisement, I find your post somewhat dubious.

Plavt.

jenn

Postby jenn » Sun, 02 Jul 2006 6:40 pm

lolitaa wrote:NO.

yup. it is true. i was at the walk-in today. and there are girls who are shorter than 158cm, and they were asked to measure their height and asked to touch/reach a certain marking on the wall.

i was watching at them while quening up. there were tape markings on the wall.

so if u can reach the marking, u are allow in to the interview.

cheers!

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sun, 02 Jul 2006 7:13 pm

jenn wrote:yup. it is true. i was at the walk-in today. and there are girls who are shorter than 158cm, and they were asked to measure their height and asked to touch/reach a certain marking on the wall.

Welcome to the board jenn I am not sure I have understood your post. Are you saying the girls were measured first and if they were shorter they then 158cm they were aske to touch markings on the wall? I ask because it doesn''t make sense to do both but please remember from where I am I cannot see for myself.

Plavt.

*rachel*

Postby *rachel* » Sun, 02 Jul 2006 7:37 pm

Hi Jenn,

I am glad you're there and witness it. Ex-SIA interviewer told me, if you are shorter than 158cm, your form will have an '*' mark on it.

SIA is a good carrier, I believe all the stewards or the stewardess they hire can do the safety job.

lolitaa
Regular
Regular

Postby lolitaa » Sun, 02 Jul 2006 11:39 pm

Nobody here is trying to deceive and make people feel that they can try for the interview thou they are shorter than 1.58. I'm just trying to state the fact, what you know may be true BEFORE, and what you KNOW from people. I'm just trying to tell others what I've SEEN myself, on 1 july's interview. you MAY be right saying that anyone below 1.58 is not allowed, but you don't have to be so down right stubborn insisting that they are hopeless in trying. -whatever- So what if they take your height many times during every interview? Since they came up with the arm reach thingy, they will acknowledge throughout. And yes, if it is allowed, SIA will state it in the advertisement, which they didn't. BUT in business, there are alot of unwritten and untold rules and regulations, i don't see SIA having to answer for this to the public when it is their own preference during the recruitment. They don't owe anyone a reason for it. period.

Anyway girls, there will be a marking on the wall which directs the measurement of 1.58. and another marking for the arm reach. So if your height is below the 1.58 marking, the recruitment staff will actually make you stretch for the arm reach marking. So good luck ya! =)

jenn

Postby jenn » Mon, 03 Jul 2006 12:33 am

lolitaa wrote:Nobody here is trying to deceive and make people feel that they can try for the interview thou they are shorter than 1.58. I'm just trying to state the fact, what you know may be true BEFORE, and what you KNOW from people. I'm just trying to tell others what I've SEEN myself, on 1 july's interview. you MAY be right saying that anyone below 1.58 is not allowed, but you don't have to be so down right stubborn insisting that they are hopeless in trying. -whatever- So what if they take your height many times during every interview? Since they came up with the arm reach thingy, they will acknowledge throughout. And yes, if it is allowed, SIA will state it in the advertisement, which they didn't. BUT in business, there are alot of unwritten and untold rules and regulations, i don't see SIA having to answer for this to the public when it is their own preference during the recruitment. They don't owe anyone a reason for it. period.

Anyway girls, there will be a marking on the wall which directs the measurement of 1.58. and another marking for the arm reach. So if your height is below the 1.58 marking, the recruitment staff will actually make you stretch for the arm reach marking. So good luck ya! =)

i agree. there are always unwritten/unspoken rules. and SIA do not have to answer to anyone regarding to the recruitment.

the ad for the recruitment for cabin crew is just a normal, standard format. and certain rules, like height, edu cert varies on different recruitment drive, it depends what SIA wants during each different recruitment. so it is true that pp who are below 158cm are allow in if they manage to touch certain marking and pp with lower qualification are allow into the interview if they read thru ur application form and deem that u are abe to qualify for the interview.

so just try, cos seriously u would never know what SIA wants on the spot, on the day of the interview.

my batch of girls in my interview round, there were 2 girls who only have 4 'O' levels but a couple of years of working experiences, so they were allowed to attend the interview too.

so the same old thing i suppose, just give it a try. if really get rejected on the spot, just be gracious and say thank you and leave. i also saw some girls who are unable to touch the marking on the wall leaving on the spot too.

the SIA pp today were friendly and nice, they make u feel less nervous. =)

jenn

Postby jenn » Mon, 03 Jul 2006 12:55 am

Plavt wrote:
jenn wrote:yup. it is true. i was at the walk-in today. and there are girls who are shorter than 158cm, and they were asked to measure their height and asked to touch/reach a certain marking on the wall.

Welcome to the board jenn I am not sure I have understood your post. Are you saying the girls were measured first and if they were shorter they then 158cm they were aske to touch markings on the wall? I ask because it doesn''t make sense to do both but please remember from where I am I cannot see for myself.

Plavt.

hi plavt,

i am not trying to be rude to u or offend u. but does it matter to u how SIA conduct their interview? and as u mentioned, u are not being abe to see for yourself cos u are not in singapore. does it means that if u are singapore, u will make a trip down to the walk in and observe how SIA conduct the interview n what is the height, edu qualification that are required?

so i suppose the pp who went for the recruitment wld know a bit more than you regarding how the interview goes.

we are just a bunch of pp who want to try out for SIA cabin crew, having a friendly exchange here, it is just a discussion only.

maybe u would say that it is an expat forum and locals like us singaporeans sldn't be here in the forum.

sorry if i offened u in any way. i am just trying to make my point that we went for the recruitment and saw what was going on during the interview. so height n edu cert requirements really varies on each different recruitment drive.

i don't see why u have to say we are trying to deceive pp to go for the interview etc, or keep saying that u know how SIA recruit their cabin crew. different airlines have they different way of conducting their interview.

thanks.

jenn

Postby jenn » Mon, 03 Jul 2006 1:02 am

Plavt wrote:Could I draw posters attention to the following;

desijoey wrote:Hi eereena!Nah they din do any skin check...height wise as long as ur at their min height of 1.58m its fine.I'm also just at their min height. :D

Since Tiger Airways is founded by Singapore Airlines I cannot see them being different in respect of their height requirements.

Plavt.

as for tiger airways, u can always ask queenie-me. she is currently a cabin crew with them.

as i can say is that (i travelled on tiger b4) the plane are much smaller and when i went in to the aircraft, i feel tall cos everything seems so low, the overhead compartment was like same the same height as me, slightly taller than me.

so i suppose, pls dun quote me and come attacking me. i just think that maybe cos the tiger planes are much much smaller than SIA, so the height for tiger airways crew are not that tall. all the girls i saw on the flight are very small and well, not tall either.

i did talk to one of the crew onboard, asking her abt her height cos she looks really not tall, abt 156cm. and she was saying yes, she is 156cm. she tried for SIA but was rejected due to her height. and when she went for the tiger interview, she almost failed due to her height but her friend who went with her helped to plead with the interviewers to give her another chance.

above is just my opinions. i do not know how the interview goes for tigar airways. pls dun quote me.

thanks

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Mon, 03 Jul 2006 1:18 am

Jenn,
Your post is ok but I hear so many things which appear to contradict, I very often don't know what the truth actually is. For example in regard to Tiger Airways there is at least one person who used to post here was accepted even though she is a little shorter than 158 cm. Dont take this the wrong way but even here in my own country I am always very wary of 'what people say' in other words hearsay information which can often be misleading to say the least. (you probably haven't heard some of the BS I have, I kid you not)

I don't know if you have seen the earlier post by Matt10;

If u are shorter than 158cm, you will be asked to LEAVE!! But if the person who take your height is very nice, she will let you go to the next round..

which is rather silly and elsewhere either a stewardess or former stewardess mentions they take your height several times.

I did not say anybody was trying to deceive anybody but believe me there are have been a few 'wackos' here giving information that was both inaccurate and unreliable and the cause of not a few arguments.

Things of course do change and companies do alter their requirements and SIA could well be altering some of theirs since with expanding air routes they need more staff and maybe cannot impose the restrictions on candidates the way they used to.

If was in Singapore I would go see for myself how the interview is conducted. That may seem a strange but having travelled there four times and studied an Asian language one comes across a lot of misinformation, misunderstandings and misconceptions most often when one is in their own country - good fun exploring.

Plavt.
Last edited by Plavt on Mon, 03 Jul 2006 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Mon, 03 Jul 2006 2:24 am

lolitaa wrote:, but you don't have to be so down right stubborn insisting that they are hopeless in trying.

Excuse me I was merely trying to establish facts, hearsay information is often unreliable if you care to look there is a lot of apparently contradictery information on this board.

Since they came up with the arm reach thingy,

That implies that they never used to do this and is a new method for them
which you coud have pointed out

And yes, if it is allowed, SIA will state it in the advertisement, which they didn't.

??????

Plavt.
Last edited by Plavt on Mon, 03 Jul 2006 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Airline Careers”