Singapore Expats Forum

Truth about Mosi's please !

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sue1303
Regular
Regular

Truth about Mosi's please !

Postby sue1303 » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 6:08 am

I have a neon sign above my head saying "Bite Me!" I have to most sort after blood in mosi land ever....What are the mosi's like there? Truthfully, even if you don't get bitten a lot, do you still see them everywhere?....I hate them the little B*****ds. Just want to be prepared !

Cheers
S x

one843
Regular
Regular

Postby one843 » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 7:55 am

Sue,
I also have the most sort after blood and a sign above my head that is most likely bigger than yours.
The sqeeeters here are not as bad as in the states but we do no thave dengue. I have found that if you find your self eating outside and there are a lot of mozie(sqeeters,mosiqutoes,whatever) there is probably alot of thick vegitation around you. I simply shift to a different table away from the plants.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 1:47 pm

we probably all have the same blood type. i'm less bothered my mozzies now though, only notice them when i'm having dinner outdoors near dense vegetation. i make sure to wear long sleeves and long trousers at those times. other than that seems ok. dengue outbreaks do happen, though those tend to be from poor plant-care habits in residential areas.

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 2:16 pm

I mentioned somewhere that whenever I am in the tropical regions the mozzies seem to think I am delicious. According to a doctor it is being a European it is a different scent which attracts them. That statement must also be attributable to many Asian as well and there are Europeans the little blighters won't come near either.

Advice is where bright colours (apparently it dazzles them) along with some insect repellent, in additon you could and I think still can buy repel-wipes.

Plavt.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 2:17 pm

one843 wrote:Sue,
I also have the most sort after blood and a sign above my head that is most likely bigger than yours.
The sqeeeters here are not as bad as in the states but we do no thave dengue. I have found that if you find your self eating outside and there are a lot of mozie(sqeeters,mosiqutoes,whatever) there is probably alot of thick vegitation around you. I simply shift to a different table away from the plants.

No Dengue, Just WNV. Specially down in Louisiana thanks to the achafalaya swamp. The Mozzie is the state bird of La. :wink: (Not from La. but lived down in the swamps for 7 years prior to coming over here) Worked in the GOM for 7 years. Darn culex mozzies there are big enough to carry you away if'n it's more'n two of 'em.

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 2:47 pm

Plavt wrote:
Advice is where bright colours (apparently it dazzles them) along with some insect repellent, in additon you could and I think still can buy repel-wipes.

Plavt.

Blue attracts them.

SG does a fairly good job of keeping the mosquito population low when you consider that we're in a hot and humid tropical country.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 3:11 pm

I went to the nature walk and a big swarm of mosquitoes were dancing around me screaming "we want blood!". They seem to like me and my toddler daughters while others around us would be impervious to it.

We use insect repellent all the time but it is not foolproof. Usually experience it worst around heavy vegetation. Does living in a high rise help? The higher the better? I imagine the mosquitoes would not have energy to climb those stairs unless they take the elevator :lol: .

It is not that bad in the urban area and indoors.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 11:32 pm

I heard bananas, and eating them, attracts them

not sure that's not an urban myth though
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

sue1303
Regular
Regular

Postby sue1303 » Wed, 28 Jun 2006 5:36 am

Hmmm, Will stick to my original plan me thinks of spraying myself to death and smelling mighty unattractive all night...might not get my toes sucked by the hubby but at least I won't look like I've got leprosy on my legs !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did know a guy form Canada once who done this really cool trick....when a mosi landed on him he waited till it was sucking then squeezed his arm making a huge blood rush...you could see the mosi blow up before your eyes lol !.....YUK!

S x

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Tue, 04 Jul 2006 1:01 am

The truth about Mosi is that it's pretty darn good for a Zambian beer.

Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Postby seasider » Thu, 06 Jul 2006 2:03 pm

Mr Seasider and myself are just getting over Dengue Fever - bad enough to land us both in hospital for 4-5 days. I hardly ever get bitten and can't recall being bitten lately but from now on I'll be taking precautions - it's a very nasty disease so I recommend you all do likewise!

sue1303
Regular
Regular

Postby sue1303 » Fri, 07 Jul 2006 4:12 am

Not nice....a lot of that about when I was living in Venezuela, couple of my friends fell sick with it. My leg got so badly poisoned there it was in danger of being chopped off, I was sick for 2 weeks....probably why I'm as paranoid as hell !

Is it a blood group thing? I'm A RNeg but my other half is O and they never go near him???? Maybe I expell an awful lot of carbon dioxide?

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Fri, 07 Jul 2006 5:59 am

sue1303 wrote:Not nice....a lot of that about when I was living in Venezuela, couple of my friends fell sick with it. My leg got so badly poisoned there it was in danger of being chopped off, I was sick for 2 weeks....probably why I'm as paranoid as hell !

Is it a blood group thing? I'm A RNeg but my other half is O and they never go near him???? Maybe I expell an awful lot of carbon dioxide?

Seems you could be right, I do not know how accurate this article is but it would appear to make sense;

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/jan99/916696560.Gb.r.html

Something that occurred to me before reading it is my mother's husband is vegetarian and they never go near him so I thought diet might be a factor.

Some worrying information;

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs117/en/

Plavt

sue1303
Regular
Regular

Postby sue1303 » Mon, 10 Jul 2006 1:18 am

God...Now I'm really freaked out and my daughter is worse than me at getting bitten! Poor thing she'll be the only child in Singapore with her trousers tucked in a pair of boots, a polar neck jumper and gloves !!!!!

If mosquitos and wasps were wiped off the face of this planet I'd be a happy woman !

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Mon, 10 Jul 2006 1:56 am

sue1303 wrote:
If mosquitos and wasps were wiped off the face of this planet I'd be a happy woman !

You aren't the only one I hate mozis and I don’t like wasps although come winter we don't see any wasps and strange though it is I have seen only one this year but then it has been too hot lately. You would probably balk at the site of one of our mosquitos though as they are much bigger but don't carry malaria or dengue fever. Malaria disappeared in this country because farming habits changed but that's all I know.

Plavt.