Singapore Expats Forum

whats the name of this website?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

one843
Regular
Regular

whats the name of this website?

Postby one843 » Mon, 26 Jun 2006 12:20 pm

It seems to me that the name of this website would also determine who is using it.
Especially on the forums you would certainly not expect post from anyone that is not an expat. I do see Singaporeans coming to the defense of they're country on this website. I admire this and think that it is a good thing that they are proud of there country as I am mine.
There are plenty of times I would love to unload all my frustration on everyone here. Like how the people seem to not realize what a que line at the mini mart is. How everyone that has to butt in front of me to cross the street are most always a slower walker than I am. How people here will just stop dead in they're tracks on the sidewalk or at the top of the escelator. But I do not vent these kind of frustrations because I am affraid of the backlash from the Singaporeans that frequent this site.
If not here where can I go to bitch and moan. :???:
OOPS Can I say that on the internet?

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 26 Jun 2006 1:32 pm

hi one843,

this seems a perennial issue here. i am singaporean and speak only for myself.

to me there is a huge difference between venting over a particularly annoying incident and making a blanket condemnation of singaporeans. the former is perfectly acceptable and i may even chip in to share a few bad experiences of my own. the latter will make me think of the many singaporeans i know who are not like 'that' (whatever the generalisation is) and i might post to make that point.

it is the same difference as saying:

1) many expats on this forum have expressed dismay at the lack of queueing etiquette in singapore.

and

2) expats are a whinging, bitchy bunch who have nothing nice to say about singapore.

i hope you can see and appreciate the difference between the two statements. it's when the line gets crossed that problems start, imo. anyway, i've learnt to stay away from expat bitching so if you put in the title something to the effect of "bitching about singaporeans - locals please put up or shut up" then i won't even read the thread and you will get no grief from me. :wink:

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Re: whats the name of this website?

Postby earthfriendly » Mon, 26 Jun 2006 2:14 pm

one843 wrote:It seems to me that the name of this website would also determine who is using it.
Especially on the forums you would certainly not expect post from anyone that is not an expat. I do see Singaporeans coming to the defense of they're country on this website. I admire this and think that it is a good thing that they are proud of there country as I am mine.
?

Lashing back at any criticism of one's country without giving any thought to its validity, I would call it egositic, insecure or worse arrogance.

I think many get riled up due to the tone of the post. Of course there are always the highly emotional ones who will always react to the slightest criticism.

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Mon, 26 Jun 2006 2:25 pm

one843 wrote:There are plenty of times I would love to unload all my frustration on everyone here. Like how the people seem to not realize what a que line at the mini mart is. How everyone that has to butt in front of me to cross the street are most always a slower walker than I am. How people here will just stop dead in they're tracks on the sidewalk or at the top of the escelator.

You have just summarised the Singaporean Character (currently ducking under the desk as Wind in My Hair throws something at me :wink: )

Well done - BTW these things also wreck my head, especially the escalator and stoping in their tracks issue. I want to walk right over them but am too polite and try and dodge as best I can but sometimes it can really get annoying especially when you are in a hurry.

BTW you can say bitch as much as you like...
Be Like Water

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 26 Jun 2006 2:38 pm

one843 wrote:It seems to me that the name of this website would also determine who is using it.
There are plenty of times I would love to unload all my frustration on everyone here. Like how the people seem to not realize what a que line at the mini mart is. How everyone that has to butt in front of me to cross the street are most always a slower walker than I am. How people here will just stop dead in they're tracks on the sidewalk or at the top of the escelator. But I do not vent these kind of frustrations because I am affraid of the backlash from the Singaporeans that frequent this site.
If not here where can I go to bitch and moan. :???:
OOPS Can I say that on the internet?

First of all, who would know Singapore better? Locals or Transient Expats?
When asking questions here, it is possible the the locals may well know of places that the holland village dweller isn't aware of.

Secondly, what is your definition of an expat? Westerners only? If so, a bit myopic I'd say. Only those on "expat" packages? that would exclude probably 65% of the existing "western" expat population today.

Soooooo........

Feel free to bitch and moan here if you so desire. However, if you get flamed because of improper or all incompassing inclusion type of stereotyping than batten down the hatches and prepare for incoming. :o :cool:

Actually, it sounded to me that you already did your venting, whinging & moaning in the original post. :wink:

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 26 Jun 2006 5:45 pm

Bafana wrote:You have just summarised the Singaporean Character (currently ducking under the desk as Wind in My Hair throws something at me :wink: )

you said something? sorry i didn't hear... too busy talking to my friend... we just got off the escalator and cant decide to turn left or right so we must discuss before moving off... these stupid angmohs keep bumping into us as they get off the escalator... aiyoh, they all so big size, why cannot just walk around us... we have important things to discuss... don't know to turn left or turn right...

:P

one843
Regular
Regular

Postby one843 » Mon, 26 Jun 2006 7:58 pm

Wind in my hair,
I do not relate one or two isolated incidents to the sum of the people. The things that bug me the most happen on a daily basis. To be truthfull with you I also bitch about the same things back home.
As far as your comment about the expats being a whining bitchy bunch I could see that being true. If you experience this on a day to day basis then by all means tell me about it.
Sunday,
I can dish it out and I can take it. I most generaly find the negative comments about westerners, American (which I am) rather funny and true.
People should always be able to defend themselves and there country but the should make sure that there arogance does not keep them from realizing the validity in ones argument.
Yes I did throw in that bit of bitching and moaning just for fun.
I do like it here in Singapore but sometimes the people here are rude, inconsiderate and just dont like westerners.
A citizen of China living here in Singapore for reasons of employment would be an expat. Correct?
Further more the name of the website is"Singapore Expats" not Singapore expats and Singapore citizens that like to associate with expats.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 26 Jun 2006 10:38 pm

one843 wrote:Wind in my hair,
I do not relate one or two isolated incidents to the sum of the people. The things that bug me the most happen on a daily basis. To be truthfull with you I also bitch about the same things back home.
As far as your comment about the expats being a whining bitchy bunch I could see that being true. If you experience this on a day to day basis then by all means tell me about it.
Sunday,
I can dish it out and I can take it. I most generaly find the negative comments about westerners, American (which I am) rather funny and true.
People should always be able to defend themselves and there country but the should make sure that there arogance does not keep them from realizing the validity in ones argument.
Yes I did throw in that bit of bitching and moaning just for fun.
I do like it here in Singapore but sometimes the people here are rude, inconsiderate and just dont like westerners.
A citizen of China living here in Singapore for reasons of employment would be an expat. Correct?
Further more the name of the website is"Singapore Expats" not Singapore expats and Singapore citizens that like to associate with expats.

Yeah, just taking the mickey a bit. I'm a yank as well and have been here for 24+ years. And I'm still not used to it but that's why I take beta blockers now! :cool: Jack used to work but now my gout acts up when I go that route.

Now, if we want to take your analogy one step further re: this site's name. It should be for Singaporeans who are not currently in singapore. A Singaorean Expatriate is a local who is in some other country. So I guess we both are hoist by our own petards. :oops:

Anyway, welcome to our little corner of the world. We are like children here ......we bicker and fight! We also have some pretty good discussions as well. And we get to see both the good and bad of all of us on occasion.

:wink: sms

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 26 Jun 2006 11:22 pm

one843 wrote:I do like it here in Singapore but sometimes the people here are rude, inconsiderate and just dont like westerners.

one843 wrote:Further more the name of the website is"Singapore Expats" not Singapore expats and Singapore citizens that like to associate with expats.

confused? :wink:

one843
Regular
Regular

Postby one843 » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 8:02 am

SMS,
Point taken. Never thought about the Singaporean expat in another country. I guess I put my size 13 in my mouth. Better than your size 12 in my as#.

Wind in the Hair,
Confussed you ask? I think so!!!! :???:

I hope nobody takes me wrong I do like it here and the people for the most part are more tolerable than those idiots back in the states.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 1:42 pm

one843 wrote:the people for the most part are more tolerable than those idiots back in the states.

with that delightful outlook and personality, you must have a lot of friends! :P

anyway welcome, in case i forgot to say it earlier. good to have you here. this forum is starting to look like its old self!

one843
Regular
Regular

Postby one843 » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 3:15 pm

Friends are over rated. ll they ever do is borrow money and eat your food then 5 years later they move on and you never hear from them again.

Well I am glad that the forum is starting to be the way it used to be. I cannot say what it used to be like but I was starting to think that I would take it off my favs list. I will stick around untill the Mods run me off. I enjoy the cracking on each other aspect. It helps with my frustrations.

It is no picinic being me. :lol: :cool:

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 3:21 pm

WIMH, does One843 remind you of WHAM? He also from the States :o .

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 3:31 pm

let's see, EF. one843 is cheerful, friendly, kindly, courteous and shows much faith in human nature. come to think of it, yes, he is very much like wham, just a little less, well, whammish! :lol:

one843
Regular
Regular

Postby one843 » Tue, 27 Jun 2006 4:03 pm

Should I be offended by the fact that I remind you of Wham or should I be offended that I am a little less than Wham.