Singapore Expats Forum

Weekend trips from Singapore

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
Sunrise

Weekend trips from Singapore

Postby Sunrise » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 2:45 am

Hey guys

Last post I promise!

Has anyone got any suggestions for excellent weekend trips from Singapore, more than happy to get on a plane and fly so can be further than a boat ride away!

Have been thinking of Sumatra, K.L, Borneo maybe even Bangkok again but if anyone has any better suggestions then please let me know.

Thanks for all the help!

shuriken
Regular
Regular

Postby shuriken » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 11:05 am

no. dont stop posting. keep them comin' :wink:

income guy

Postby income guy » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 11:29 am

i am going to bali next month twin package 2 day 3 night 4 star hotel plus air tkt only S$310.

wanna join me?

income guy

Postby income guy » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 11:30 am

basically everthings is cheap thailand bali indonesian third world country? ha ha

Sunrise

Postby Sunrise » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 1:49 am

Love 3rd world countries, grew up living in them... far more exciting than spain or europe etc and ! when you off to Bali?

R.ain

Postby R.ain » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 10:54 am

depends on wat you want to do on your hols. If its rest n relax by the pool/beach pangkor, redang, tioman, bali some resorts in thailand is good

Bangkok, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur is great for weekend city lots of food and shopping.

Just came back from a week in Spain Lanzarote.. it was great but i got a great deal...

R.ain

EPL
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EPL » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:24 am

wooooooo R.ain do share the great deal you got for your holiday in Spain

*envious*
Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given you because you would not be able to live the questions now... Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live... into the answer ~Rainer Maria Rilke~

income guy

Postby income guy » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 1:00 pm

Hi sunrise, u raise in third world country, which one it is?

Sunrise

Postby Sunrise » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 10:14 pm

An african one... will keep it at that for the moment, dont like giving out too much personal info online!

Looking to do and see as much culture as possible and will see enough beaches and islands during the weekdays in Singapore so the more adventurous the better for the weekends really!

Keep the suggestions coming, they are greatly appreciated!

sene
Regular
Regular

third world is good fun

Postby sene » Sun, 25 Jun 2006 12:27 am

Sunrise wrote:Love 3rd world countries, grew up living in them... far more exciting than spain or europe etc and ! when you off to Bali?

Me too ... I agree with you .. grew up in an Asian third world country ..but has travelled across Europe, US and lived in Oz for many years. I still love the "Third World" Asian countries .. more interesting to travel in .. lots of culture and colour... of course its cheap if you earn your money in a country like Singapore.

I suggest Phuket or Pennang for a weekend away ... interesting places and if you are the one who loves a "brown skin" there's a lot of good beaches too. Bandung and the surrounding hill country in Indonesia are also a good weekend break .. perhaps you may have to go via Jakarta. When you go to Jakarta you can take airport bus to Gambir railway station (only Rp 15,000) and then take a 'exketif' (AC with pre-booked seats) express train to Bandung from there (runs about every 3 hours and cost Rp 70,000) .. it takes about 2 and half hours and make sure you make the journey during daylight hours because the scenery is very good. Just out of Bandung (one hour drive) there is great scenery in the tea growing hill areas with a number of natural spa resorts. ... have fun and it may also be a good cultural experience.

Sunrise

Postby Sunrise » Mon, 26 Jun 2006 2:28 am

Hey Sene

Thanks for the post. Do you know if it is possible to do stuff like weekends in Borneo or Sumatra? Was thinking of visiting the Orangutang reserve there, heard nothing but good reports! Anyone been there or to Ubud in Bali?
Also anyone been to Gili Islands and Lombok?
Thanks for the help guys!

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Tue, 04 Jul 2006 1:11 am

Sunrise wrote:Hey Sene

Thanks for the post. Do you know if it is possible to do stuff like weekends in Borneo or Sumatra? Was thinking of visiting the Orangutang reserve there, heard nothing but good reports! Anyone been there or to Ubud in Bali?
Also anyone been to Gili Islands and Lombok?
Thanks for the help guys!

The answers to your questions are: Yes http://wikitravel.org/en/Borneo, Yes http://wikitravel.org/en/Sumatra, Yes http://wikitravel.org/en/Ubud, Yes http://wikitravel.org/en/Lombok and Yes http://wikitravel.org/en/Gili_Islands.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

marj_kee
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Weekend trips from Singapore

Postby marj_kee » Tue, 04 Jul 2006 9:26 am

Sunrise wrote:Has anyone got any suggestions for excellent weekend trips from Singapore, more than happy to get on a plane and fly so can be further than a boat ride away!

Penang ? An hour's flight away. Idyllic ... down to earth ... good food ...

Hong Kong ? 3.5 hour's flight away. Vibrant ... chic ... good food ...

:D

bunty
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bunty » Tue, 04 Jul 2006 9:35 am

what about bintan...have heard it is good........and can be done on a sat/sun...any tips please

marj_kee
Chatter
Chatter

Postby marj_kee » Tue, 04 Jul 2006 9:40 am

bunty wrote:what about bintan...have heard it is good........and can be done on a sat/sun...any tips please

Beaches ... Massages ... Golf ...

Pretty idyllic in general. Heard we can rent a villa with personal pool. cool :)