Singapore Expats Forum

teaching qualifications?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

uk-kiwi
Regular
Regular

teaching qualifications?

Postby uk-kiwi » Tue, 20 Jun 2006 4:44 pm

Calling advice from anyone who has obtained a teaching qualification by correspondence or open university. I have been trying to find out how i can train to be a primary / elementary school teacher but have so far only found dead ends. I would like to do it under the NZ / AUS or UK curriculum (unless there are other options like PYP?). I tried Open University in the UK but if i can't take courses unless i live in the EU. I realise that this might not even be an option as the degrees / diplomas usually include placements / practical teaching blocks. However i thought that maybe the International Schools here would possibly take people as teaching assistants which can be credited towards practical modules. Can any teachers or anyone in the education industry advise me?

Many thanks.

Plavt
Director
Director

Re: teaching qualifications?

Postby Plavt » Tue, 20 Jun 2006 4:57 pm

uk-kiwi wrote: I tried Open University in the UK but if i can't take courses unless i live in the EU. .

Not entirely true, your posts seems rather garbled. Are you saying you are trying to get a teaching qualification from the Open University? Do your have a degree or intend to get one?

As far as I know teaching qualifications are post graduate courses will try to find some more information.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/courses/about/p7.shtml

Plavt.

Ps: If I remember correctly in the UK you would need what is called a Post Graduate Certificate of Education (PGCE) which is or was standard for state schools.
Last edited by Plavt on Tue, 20 Jun 2006 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uk-kiwi
Regular
Regular

Primary

Postby uk-kiwi » Tue, 20 Jun 2006 5:10 pm

Thanks Plavt. I know, it was a garbled message because i was thinking of too many points at once.

I know what you are saying about post grad but in the case of primary school education you can also do a full teaching degree. It's not like you have to have a Bach of Science and then do a one year teaching diploma to teach high school or tertiary students. A few of my friends did primary teaching when they left school - it was a 3 or 4 year degree course. This was in NZ so maybe a little diff from the UK.

Def. not interested in secondary education but primary and early childhood learning so I am looking for the long course. I have an incomplete tertiary degree so I think this is probably the only option for me anyway.