Singapore Expats Forum

Why do people/businesses cheat on us Web Designers?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

mobilelaptopnet
Member
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu, 08 Jun 2006
Contact:

Why do people/businesses cheat on us Web Designers?

Postby mobilelaptopnet » Mon, 19 Jun 2006 10:04 am

I hav been doin web design freelance jobs in Singapore. People sometimes ask me to come up with layout or sample, and so I do. But in the end they don't pay up.

I remember twice I had completed full scale projects and they didnt want to pay up.

I don't know if we should enforce signing contracts but then clients may get scared and won't even consider us.

What's the best solution to ensure that we get paid?

Would the overseas market be more truthful than singaporean businesses?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Re: Why do people/businesses cheat on us Web Designers?

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 19 Jun 2006 11:40 am

mobilelaptopnet wrote:I hav been doin web design freelance jobs in Singapore. People sometimes ask me to come up with layout or sample, and so I do. But in the end they don't pay up.

I remember twice I had completed full scale projects and they didnt want to pay up.

I don't know if we should enforce signing contracts but then clients may get scared and won't even consider us.

What's the best solution to ensure that we get paid?

Would the overseas market be more truthful than singaporean businesses?


Mobile,

You should be charging your clients on a 40-40-20 basis anyway. If you don't you are asking to get ripped off. Always give a quotation prior to accepting any job and also a 40% upfront payment before starting any project. At the 80% complete mark, require a second payment before moving on to finalizing and uploading the site to the client. After completion then bill them for the remaining 20% and any variation or change orders as well. This is more or less standard for most designers at least the professional that I am aware of.

Overseas markets will shaft you just as quick, and the cost of international lawyers to try to collect will generally eat your lunch - meaning it will probably only allow you the satisfaction of having them pay - but you end up giving it all plus some to the lawyer. At least in Singapore you can use the Small Claims Tribunal to gain payment without the necessity of having a lawyer. The only way is to cover your labour costs is using the staggered upfront & subsequent milestone payments as suggested.

sms

mobilelaptopnet
Member
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu, 08 Jun 2006
Contact:

Postby mobilelaptopnet » Tue, 20 Jun 2006 3:02 pm

thanks.

User avatar
banana
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 961
Joined: Tue, 24 May 2005

Postby banana » Tue, 20 Jun 2006 3:24 pm

SMS is right. In business, anywhere in the world, it's safer to arrange staggered payment. The actual proportions can be negotiated between yourself and the client, not necessarily 40-40-20. Having this in writing covers both the client and your arse, especially if you're working for yourself.

That said, not all businesses are out to slit throats. I've had designers try to weasel their way out of agreements with half-arsed work too. Don't even get me started on the attitude of some "creatives".

In an ideal world, people will honour their statements and put in their best at all times. Until then, we just have to learn to live with the inefficiency of a contract society.
some signatures are more equal than others

User avatar
riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 899
Joined: Fri, 22 Jul 2005
Location: Simei
Contact:

Postby riversandlakes » Wed, 21 Jun 2006 9:55 pm

Yo, banana!
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests