Singapore Expats Forum

Holiday/ Leave Question? Paternity leave

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Patrick777
Regular
Regular

Holiday/ Leave Question? Paternity leave

Postby Patrick777 » Fri, 16 Jun 2006 10:47 pm

I hear in Singapore you have between 11/12 public holidays which is good!

I have 2 questions

1) How many days over and above does the average employee get? IE 25 days in the UK?

2) Do you know if most western thing give the staff paternity leave when I have my next baby?

Many Thanks

Patrick

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Sat, 17 Jun 2006 8:06 am

This is really a company specific thing, as are things like bonuses. You may get better benefits working for an MNC.

bright_wave
Regular
Regular

RE

Postby bright_wave » Sat, 17 Jun 2006 10:42 pm

Hi,

The min. off days are 14 per year. Depending on your position and company, they can increase and may have a cap...

As far as I know, locals have 1 day as paternity leave...I've no idea for expats, you can probably negotiate for more in you are on expat package.

hope this helps. :)

michaeldistel

Postby michaeldistel » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 1:01 am

Hey Patrick777,

If you make more than $1600 a month there are no laws stating the min or max when it comes to leave but female employees are entitled to maternity leave 4 weeks before and 4 weeks after delivery of their child.

Singapore has very little laws when it comes to employment for people who make more than $1600. What bright_wave is talking about is for people who make less or are class as workmen. Also they don't get 14 days in the first year but only 7 and then one extra day for each year they work up to 14 years. eg will take 8 years to get 14 days leave. :D

Read your benefits very closely in Singapore because there are no fall back laws like in the UK. If they state you only have 1 day leave per year then thats it and if they don't say anything about leave then you don't have any at all.

Cheers
Michael