Singapore Expats Forum

What Charities Do You Support? And Why?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Barczar
Chatter
Chatter

What Charities Do You Support? And Why?

Postby Barczar » Thu, 15 Jun 2006 3:41 pm

Ok - I'm still on my charity kick here and have come to the conclusion that i personally don't like the Salvation Army as being a good charity for me to associate myself with. To be honest, I don't really know what else is really out there in terms of real charitable organisations and would like you thoughts or comments. When responding please state the name of the charity and why you like supporting them.

I'll start:

RDA - Riding for the Disabled - Reason I like them is because I've had a great time at the various fund raising activities like a skydive over Singapore pub quizes etc for them and I love it! We managed over $25,000 from our local pub to buy them a new horse named Shamus. Plus I have a few friends that volunteer their time with the horses and children and enjoy their time there giving back.

Anyone else?
If you want to play with the Big Dogs you can't pee like a Puppy!

Flutterby

Animals

Postby Flutterby » Thu, 15 Jun 2006 4:10 pm

I like the work that the Temple of Fine Arts does and help either to sell the tickets for them or in other ways. Havent been doing much social work for a while but would like to .

But my first preference will always be for anything to do with animals.
especially Cats as they seem to get such a bad rap here in Singapore.
Definitely for all the poor animals here and around the world, God Bless them!

bushbride
Regular
Regular

Postby bushbride » Thu, 15 Jun 2006 5:08 pm

I would and do support a charity called 'Koto'.

http://www.streetvoices.com.au/

It is really unique because it takes street kids and funds them going to a school to learn a trade. I particularily like the one in Hanoy and Cambodia that is under development at the moment. It allows them to go to a training school in hospitality and they are then placed with local international hotels.

I think it is a great charity and unlike most charities, all of the money goes directly into establishing the buildings, or if you choose to, sponsorship of a childs education.

I belive in the philosophy: 'Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you will feed him for a life time'.
Last edited by bushbride on Tue, 27 Jun 2006 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. Da Vinci -

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Thu, 15 Jun 2006 5:26 pm

Straits Times School Pocket Money Fund.

poor kids sometimes only drink tap water at recess time because they have no money to buy food. just a little a day can make a world of difference in a child's life. apart from filling his tummy, he won't feel the 'shame' of not lining up to buy food when all his peers are doing so.

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Thu, 15 Jun 2006 9:44 pm

How do you find out about local charities here? I know a couple, like RDA etc but not the others. Is there a database of local charities?
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Fri, 16 Jun 2006 12:48 am

WIMH,

Could I get more info on the kids charity? I am a firm believer that kids should get to enjoy their childhood and not be burdened by adult issues.

Flutterby

info on volunteering

Postby Flutterby » Fri, 16 Jun 2006 9:09 am

micknlea wrote:How do you find out about local charities here? I know a couple, like RDA etc but not the others. Is there a database of local charities?

http://www.volunteers.org.sg/ncss/volun ... n_ssv.html

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Ling2 » Fri, 16 Jun 2006 9:33 am

Well, other than giving money to some needy charities, I usually encourage volunteering :)

Try www.nvc.org.sg

You can find a long list of organization that needs help or volunteers.

I found two, close to my heart, related to environmental issues, and conservation of animals.

Old folk homes or orphanage would need lot of loving people too :)

Japhy

Postby Japhy » Thu, 22 Jun 2006 4:09 pm

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 12:41 pm

I like giving to charities especially those for the elderly and the disabled - Any organisation that is not a large/international NGO and is community based basically.

One charity I used to give to was the National Kidney Foundation but no more after the scandal.
Be Like Water

whatalark
Regular
Regular

giving

Postby whatalark » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 12:59 pm

I used to be in touch with a friend who worked with half-way houses and drug rehab centres. The 'inmates' had wives and families who would really go through hard times when the man-of-the-house was incarcerated. I'd ask my friend from time to time how things were going with those folks and if there were any really pressing needs.

100% of my giving would go to the needy family. My friend was just the go-between and as honest 'as the day was long'.
no trees were hurt in the making of this post but a few electrons were terribly inconvenienced

gtea

Postby gtea » Sun, 25 Jun 2006 7:40 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:Straits Times School Pocket Money Fund.

poor kids sometimes only drink tap water at recess time because they have no money to buy food. just a little a day can make a world of difference in a child's life. apart from filling his tummy, he won't feel the 'shame' of not lining up to buy food when all his peers are doing so.

I hope that the MCYS or the MOE can come up with a department with voluntary workers,let say school teachers,parents etc who are interested to learn about kids who come from the poors.
And this depart. not only helps to send workers to each individual school to search through profiles or even talk to kids who know better about their classmates' family background.then file up and report back.
Though this may take a pro-long period,but it will help completely.
And at the same time,their findings might also help in discovering home problems and provide early restructurings and guidings for the kids to grow up both mind and physical strongs!!
hahaha!AM i dreaming or what????will it be true to do??

gtea

Postby gtea » Sun, 25 Jun 2006 7:49 pm

Bafana wrote:I like giving to charities especially those for the elderly and the disabled - Any organisation that is not a large/international NGO and is community based basically.

One charity I used to give to was the National Kidney Foundation but no more after the scandal.

The thought of "giving the poors and needies" is the ONLY MIND TO SET,but not to think that what happens to my money etc.as that make you withdrawn and set backfires when the next time you wanna contribute your kindness again.
of course you might think that my money is someone's life saver,i agreed.think again,your money isn't wasted,believe or not your generosity is noted.and the price to pay is the one who mis-used them.(**
bless those with kind hearts