Singapore Expats Forum

IT Job Market in Singapore

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

IT_adam

IT Job Market in Singapore

Postby IT_adam » Wed, 14 Jun 2006 3:45 pm

I feel difficult to get IT job in Sg. And most of my friend graduate from Univercity with IT course only paid by SGD1400.
This is cause by too many IT ppl in the market, so salary so low?

sundaymorningstaple

Re: IT Job Market in Singapore

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 14 Jun 2006 8:27 pm

IT_adam wrote:I feel difficult to get IT job in Sg. And most of my friend graduate from Univercity with IT course only paid by SGD1400.

Yup! It's called supply and demand. When the supply goes up or the demand goes down or both, the the bottom line is who will work the cheapest. Unless you are good at what you do. Not that many Good IT people coming out of Singapore Uni's that are looking for jobs though. If they are that good they are striking out on their own with their own companies where they aren't hampered by stingy employers.

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Sat, 17 Jun 2006 4:30 am

Moi in IT. Definitely demand and supply, and also how you present yourself.

Average Joe obviously gets average pay. It's how you intend to stand above heads and shoulders in this crowded market.
And of course, undeniably, a dose of good luck...

I just have to stress this, maybe for consolation later on when things don't go one's way, because it's totally not in your control if there's a choice job (definition surely depends on ya) out there vacant when YOU are looking for one...
Well, in the end, I guess it's about destiny? If it's yours it can never leave...
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

BuLB

Postby BuLB » Thu, 06 Jul 2006 2:10 pm

I am planning to go in singapore to spent my vacation leave and at the same time look for a job there.am an IT on the field of hardware/network administration and web developer and designer.I would like to ask on what to do before and when i am in singapore? any advice?
jtlardera

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Thu, 06 Jul 2006 2:50 pm

BuLB wrote:I am planning to go in singapore to spent my vacation leave and at the same time look for a job there.am an IT on the field of hardware/network administration and web developer and designer.I would like to ask on what to do before and when i am in singapore? any advice?

If you're just on vacation, there will be virtually no chance of getting a job that way. Most SG companies only accept applications from non-singaporeans/PR people through online job sites like jobsdb, etc.

Also, you're in a very, very crowded field. There will be very little reason why the Ministry Of Manpower should grant you a work permit since there are many singaporeans who can do web design and network administration.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

renter
Chatter
Chatter

Postby renter » Fri, 07 Jul 2006 5:58 pm

majority of graduates will hop into the job market in every profession. that's why we get degrees right? you don't need a degree to be a businessman right? even business and accounting grads are also looking for jobs, even though they learnt every aspect of business. how about MBAs? most are looking for jobs too rather than start on their own.

I'm in IT too and I feel the heat, though I haven't been burnt yet. You can say this is the effect of globalization. In another aspect, most of the IT jobs on the market don't require a degree to do it. most are just daily routine repetitive tasks while only a handful of exceptions require a degree holder's intelligence to do. ehh. So if you find a job's pay is too low, the right reason might be just that it doesn't require your level of caliber.

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Thu, 13 Jul 2006 2:03 pm

Where do you see yourself in ten years, renter?

IT_adam

Postby IT_adam » Thu, 13 Jul 2006 4:17 pm

[quote="BuLB"]I am planning to go in singapore to spent my vacation leave and at the same time look for a job there.am an IT on the field of hardware/network administration and web developer and designer.I would like to ask on what to do before and when i am in singapore? any advice?[/quote]

looking job during ur vacation here.. em.
better send some resume first. once get interview, then come for interview and vacation is better.
bcoz looking job is cannot be done in short period.. unless u have long vacation here. :)

cheer

brifusg
Regular
Regular

Postby brifusg » Thu, 13 Jul 2006 10:48 pm

BuLB wrote:I am planning to go in singapore to spent my vacation leave and at the same time look for a job there.am an IT on the field of hardware/network administration and web developer and designer.I would like to ask on what to do before and when i am in singapore? any advice?

No hope unless you're superior, frankly speaking.

brifusg
Regular
Regular

Re: IT Job Market in Singapore

Postby brifusg » Thu, 13 Jul 2006 10:51 pm

IT_adam wrote:I feel difficult to get IT job in Sg. And most of my friend graduate from Univercity with IT course only paid by SGD1400.

Which universities? From what I saw, fresh local universities grads in IT (like NUS/NTU) they should earn at least 2K nowadays.

renter
Chatter
Chatter

Postby renter » Thu, 20 Jul 2006 3:19 pm

riversandlakes wrote:Where do you see yourself in ten years, renter?

In 10 years, I see myself do something different. I am diversifying my skills. IT skills are too common everywhere, I need another specialization.

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Fri, 21 Jul 2006 4:49 pm

You mean in another field?

As for me, if I were to stay in IT for the next ten years I see being an Architect as the only way of survival. All other manners of IT jobbing - SA or DBA or programmer - is just death in the long run...

renter wrote:
riversandlakes wrote:Where do you see yourself in ten years, renter?

In 10 years, I see myself do something different. I am diversifying my skills. IT skills are too common everywhere, I need another specialization.