Singapore Expats Forum

Open Air Raggae Concert Viable?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
angel01

Open Air Raggae Concert Viable?

Postby angel01 » Wed, 14 Jun 2006 9:35 am

Hi All
I'm thinking of bringing in a superb raggae band from NZ to Spore but would like to hear opinions whether it's a viable idea.
It'll take place at the open air grass area of Botanic Gardens, there'll be a mini fun fare with stalls selling drinks etc The concert will start from sunset to late.
Would like to know how many people actually enjoy Raggae and how much would one pay for a concert like this?
All opinions, comments welcomed!

Cheers

Ship Shape
Regular
Regular

Postby Ship Shape » Wed, 14 Jun 2006 10:17 am

Sounds great. Expats are probably your best bet as a target audience as a few outdoor concerts have fallen flat on their face with a lack of interest from the locals.

I guess I'd pay between $30 and $50 for unknown bands and expect to pay for fun fair rides etc.

Good luck! :)

angel01

Postby angel01 » Wed, 14 Jun 2006 10:47 am

Ship Shape wrote:Sounds great. Expats are probably your best bet as a target audience as a few outdoor concerts have fallen flat on their face with a lack of interest from the locals.

I guess I'd pay between $30 and $50 for unknown bands and expect to pay for fun fair rides etc.

Good luck! :)

Hi Thanks for your feedback!
Actually this band is relatively famous in the Western part of the world and to fans of Raggae, Hip Hop music. Think along the lines of Bob Marley type of concert.
And you're right expats are probably my best bet.
Hope to hear some more feedback from others.

Humour_Me

Postby Humour_Me » Wed, 14 Jun 2006 12:14 pm

Hi angel,

A friend of mine had a Reggae fest over at Sentosa, I think, 2 years back. Response was good - but I remembered her telling me that it was a logistic nightmare and getting a license from the police was also a pain. If you need more information or help, you can send me a private message and I'll get in touch with you.

Gashaus recently had a Reggae Punk thing - didn't go for that one so I'm not sure about the turn out but yes, I think that a Reggae Fest would work.

HM

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Postby local lad » Wed, 14 Jun 2006 1:30 pm

I am crazy over Maxi Priest and UB40. Do I qualify? I supposed I am the only local who enjoy this type of music.

:?

livordk

Postby livordk » Thu, 15 Jun 2006 1:40 pm

HI
I've been to the outdoor free concert at Esplanade : Australain band "the cat empire", kind of jazz/ska/reggea band. Great ! And there was a lot of local. I think BOtanic garden is a good idea, it's very pleasant there and as long as there's a good mood, flow, atmosphere I'm sure a lot of people will join. Let me know if it works

tequilabot

Re: Open Air Raggae Concert Viable?

Postby tequilabot » Sat, 17 Jun 2006 1:12 pm

angel01 wrote:Hi All
I'm thinking of bringing in a superb raggae band from NZ to Spore but would like to hear opinions whether it's a viable idea.
It'll take place at the open air grass area of Botanic Gardens, there'll be a mini fun fare with stalls selling drinks etc The concert will start from sunset to late.
Would like to know how many people actually enjoy Raggae and how much would one pay for a concert like this?
All opinions, comments welcomed!

Cheers

hi angie,
venue in Botanic/fort caning/chijmes is perfect. the outdoor concert is quite limited here. any entrance charges apply? FYI, the advertisement must go well to inform the SG ppl.