Singapore Expats Forum

working for ministry of education

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

cdeans

working for ministry of education

Postby cdeans » Mon, 12 Jun 2006 11:15 pm

My partner has just been offered a post as Teacher of English with the Ministry of Education. He is awaiting news of his contract. Any one got any knowledge of what type of salary he might expect? He has 7 years previous teaching experience and is presently in a promoted post as Head of Year.
Does anyone know what teaching in MOE schools is like?
Cheers!

sundaymorningstaple

Re: working for ministry of education

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 13 Jun 2006 1:06 pm

cdeans wrote:My partner has just been offered a post as Teacher of English with the Ministry of Education. He is awaiting news of his contract. Any one got any knowledge of what type of salary he might expect? He has 7 years previous teaching experience and is presently in a promoted post as Head of Year.
Does anyone know what teaching in MOE schools is like?
Cheers!

I would have to assume that you are a native english speaker. If this is so then you are part of the "new wave" of teachers that are going to be brought in to try to life up the english standards here.

That said, I don't have a clue as to what kind of salary scale or other conditions they will be offering as it is uncharted territory. Where are you coming from and what is your nationality? Unless things change with the current syllabus, your husband will find himself overworked and underpaid. While I am an American, my wife is Singaporean and both of my children have/are negotiating through the local system. Daughter's finished, son about 1 year to go. Son's English is atrocious.

You also haven't indicated what level of English he will be teaching, primary or secondary school (or at Jr College / University level) as there is a big difference.

You might want to read our current discussion here: http://www.singaporeexpats.com/forum/ftopic33471.html

sms

cdeans

Postby cdeans » Tue, 13 Jun 2006 4:37 pm

we're coming from the UK - Scotland, actually. He will be teaching in a Junior College or at University level. Any more knowledge of the system?

Cheers!

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Tue, 13 Jun 2006 11:10 pm

Indeed, the new wave...I thought it's still under consideration?
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

Miss Swan
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Miss Swan » Mon, 19 Jun 2006 2:12 pm

Junior college was some years away, but give or take, I think the pay will be around $5000-8000