Singapore Expats Forum

Salvation Army in Singapore - Not impressed

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Barczar
Chatter
Chatter

Salvation Army in Singapore - Not impressed

Postby Barczar » Mon, 12 Jun 2006 3:54 pm

I need a bit of a stress release here. I consider myself a charitable man - I've gone over and above my fair share of volunteering for all sorts of different things, charity drives, fund raisers, motorcycle rides, marathons, swimathons, rugby tournaments etc. I've been doing a lot of stuff here in Singapore by volunteering at various events for various organisations and charities. I've been in Singapore almost 3 years now and over the past 3 days I have been working like crazy trying to space clearing my apartment. Along with the loads of garbage that I've some how accumulated over the past 3 years, I found that I had a lot of stuff, that I just don't have a use for anymore but is all really nice stuff that I'd hate to throw away as I know someone else could really get a lot of use out of it.

I would estimate that I have at least 5 beautiful suits, 3 very large suitcases of very good second hand clothes (suitcases included), a 2 year old surround sound system with DVD player and a 30" TV, loads of DVDs and VCDs, a bunch of Music CDs, flower vases, a full cutlery set along with plates and bowls etc, a fish aquarium with all the trimmings (all perfect use), about 20 unopend Business Class vanity kits, 4 cordless telephones and a few other odds and ends. Basically it's a bunch of nice stuff that really doesn't suit me anymore as I have upgraded or am downsizing my personal space.

Now I contacted the Salvation Army to let them know that I have all this stuff for them, I only have one problem - they need to collect because it's too much for me to take in a taxi and I don't have a car to take it myself or the time really to do it...(busy travel season for me). I suggested they come and pick it up and I would arrange to be home or have someone there to let them in. I was very rudely ask in very not polite but arrogant offensive Singlish "You have furniture wah?!" I said no and explained there was no furniture just some bulky items like the TV and the big suitcases. I was then basically brushed off by this fantastic specimen of a male receptionist/volunteer (I'd assume) that if I had no furniture, then they would not collect.

I told the guy that I had over $1500 worth of quality stuff for his charity if one of their volunteers could just swing past my place and pick it up. He told me that it was not his problem and he has a lorry I could rent for $200 to collect. So basically he was telling me that I could spend an additionaly $200 for the privilge of donating stuff to the charity he is working/volunteering for or forget it. I asked to speak to his boss or a manager to see if I could convince that person otherways and he told me and I quote "It's Policy wah...Policy...you not special Angmoh...Policy wah" and he promptly hung up the phone on me.

Following a couple of cigarettes and a general turrets syndrome moment, I asked my secretary (Chinese Singaporean) to call the Salvation Army to see if maybe it was just a language barrier thing...almost exactly the same result (he hung up on her too mid conversation) and that was a conversation in Mandarin!! At any rate, I have now gotten my Secretary to contact her Buddist Temple who are coming by today after work to collect my stuff for their own Charities...

I never thought that it could ever be that difficult trying to give back!! Is it just me, or have any of you had similar situations with the charities here?
If you want to play with the Big Dogs you can't pee like a Puppy!

whatalark
Regular
Regular

Salvation Army

Postby whatalark » Mon, 12 Jun 2006 4:03 pm

yep, had something very similar happen to me and I had furniture to donate. good stuff too. but they wanted new stuff. now, who would give away newly-bought stuff...

can't quite figure the S/A here
no trees were hurt in the making of this post but a few electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 12 Jun 2006 4:07 pm

i once gave away lots of good books to the SA. had to drive there and there's this outbuilding with several big windows, and what you're supposed to do is heave your boxes through. i wasn't impressed. by the time those boxes hit the floor whatever is inside can't be in very good condition. guess they must get so much second hand stuff it's become more of a hassle than a welcome donation.

Barczar
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Barczar » Mon, 12 Jun 2006 4:22 pm

Thanks guys...I'm glad I'm not the only one that has experienced this! I can calm down a bit now and make sure that I take the Salvation Army off of my worthy charities list!
If you want to play with the Big Dogs you can't pee like a Puppy!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 12 Jun 2006 5:08 pm

I gave up on them some 15 years ago. Now I just cart it down to the church thriftshop if possible or give away what I can to my HDB Estate maintenance/sanitation crew (foreign workers). They are happy to get the stuff and will either use it (clothes) or find a way to dispose of it for cash. For what these guys are paid, I consider them being a good charitable cause. If they can make a buck so be it.

Otherwise, hire a pickup truck for $25 bucks and haul it all down to Cash Converters, take the cash, extract the truck cost and donate the remaining cash to whatever charity turns your crank. :cool:

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Matney » Mon, 12 Jun 2006 8:21 pm

We had the same problem with SA in OZ, so I'm not surprised. Like SMS if leave mine out for the guys who work at our condo. They work for peanuts, so I figured they'll appreciate it more. You're not alone.

Global Citizen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Global Citizen » Mon, 12 Jun 2006 9:06 pm

To add to the litany of grouses against the SA, it is the same in Canada too.

I called to donate my old dishwasher, and stove (which were still in good working condition but I was upgrading to newer models) and had to contend with an answering machine with a recorded message. I left a message, nobody called back, so I did again. Finally got hold of someone and was told the next appointment available for p/u wasn't till 2 weeks away and I had to call back on a certain date to reconfirm!

What a waste of time and I just gave up. I ended up calling professionals who do this sort of thing and got rid of my stuff with a small fee.
One man's meat is another's poison.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Tue, 13 Jun 2006 2:16 am

I am not aware of Salvation Army picking up the donation from your doorstep. They may not be equipped to do that due to the sheer amount of work, cost and logistic involved. Alternatively, they can try charging the donors for the service since they are helping you get rid of your unwanted stuff.

However, there may be some charitable organizations which do that as it's part of their service / mission. Charities are just like any buisinesses. Each has its own rules and regulations. Many get more donations than they can handle and they are selective as to the items they will accept. Some moms have problem finding a place to donate used childrens' toys and clothings as many organizations have stopped accepting them.

You just need to call different ones to find out which one will pick up the items.

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Tue, 13 Jun 2006 11:05 am

I have a question about getting rid of stuff that (obviously) the SA won't pick up...and that no one else would want and it really it isn't worth keeping...how do you get rid of stuff like that here? i.e. old worn out furniture etc.
Do you have to wait until you have a heap of it and then call someone? If so, who?
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 13 Jun 2006 11:18 am

micknlea wrote:I have a question about getting rid of stuff that (obviously) the SA won't pick up...and that no one else would want and it really it isn't worth keeping...how do you get rid of stuff like that here? i.e. old worn out furniture etc.
Do you have to wait until you have a heap of it and then call someone? If so, who?

micknlea, i normally get the guys who bring in the new furniture to take out the old. they usually do it for free as part of the delivery service but a small tip will make their day!

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Splatted » Tue, 13 Jun 2006 1:47 pm

micknlea wrote:I have a question about getting rid of stuff that (obviously) the SA won't pick up...and that no one else would want and it really it isn't worth keeping...how do you get rid of stuff like that here? i.e. old worn out furniture etc.

there is a website freecycle.org which lets you give away unwanted belongings.

The singapore link on this site is as follows:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SgFreecycle/

One person's garbage is another man's treasure.

Another option is looking for an eBay "trading assistant". Basically this is a person who can sell you unwanted goods for you on your behalf. If success, they keep a % of the sale price, and pass the remainder to you. eg 10% to them

Taos

Salvation Army

Postby Taos » Tue, 13 Jun 2006 5:35 pm

I had a neighbour who called them a few years ago to pick up some stuff. Poor girl had lost her job and had to let her apt go. She segregated all her stuff, and clearly marked what was for the SA and what was for her friend to pick up. They instead took everything and interestingly enough not one item could be found at the SA. They claimed it was all sold but they had no record of the items sold.

It was obvious that the people who picked up the items had taken the stuff for themselves so technically the stuff they were not supposed to take, was stolen. A police report was made, the police didnt care. The SA refused to compensate her for her items. She wrote to the patron of SA here, some VIP who didnt want to know and said it was SA issue. She wrote to the international offices and they gave her the runaround.

Ive been to the SA in Serangoon Road. I think they 'outsource' to someone else so if the guy feels he wont make a profit from the items, he doesnt pick it up.

So one wonders, is there justice in this world? If she had money, she could have sued them. If she was in another country someone would have taken her plight seriously but over here, who cares about anything?

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Tue, 13 Jun 2006 5:36 pm

Thanks guys...will check it out...

PS WIMH...thanks for the tip, unfortunately I'm not replacing stuff..just trying to get rid of junk that is old tired and basically falling apart...will remember it for next time though! :)
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

one843
Regular
Regular

Postby one843 » Wed, 14 Jun 2006 8:02 am

Micknlea. I had some old wicker furniture that was falling apart and our part time made broke it into kinda small pieces and shoved it down the rubbish shute.
In regards to the S/A. I'm here from the US (midwest) back home when we wanted to get rid of stuff there were 3 or 4 charities S/A included that would pick up once a week. Everyone was on a different day so 4 days a week you could get rid of stuff. All charities would take anything even TV or stereos that did not work anymore. There instructions for pick up would always be "just leave the stuff in your driveway and we will pick up everything."
What they did not want they would just throw away at there recieving center.
If we had a old couch we did not want anymore we would leave it in the yard and in a day or to it would dissapear over night. Must be magic!

Ah Lau

Re: Salvation Army

Postby Ah Lau » Wed, 14 Jun 2006 8:39 am

Taos wrote:I had a neighbour who called them a few years ago to pick up some stuff. Poor girl had lost her job and had to let her apt go. She segregated all her stuff, and clearly marked what was for the SA and what was for her friend to pick up. They instead took everything and interestingly enough not one item could be found at the SA. They claimed it was all sold but they had no record of the items sold.

It was obvious that the people who picked up the items had taken the stuff for themselves so technically the stuff they were not supposed to take, was stolen. A police report was made, the police didnt care. The SA refused to compensate her for her items. She wrote to the patron of SA here, some VIP who didnt want to know and said it was SA issue. She wrote to the international offices and they gave her the runaround.

Ive been to the SA in Serangoon Road. I think they 'outsource' to someone else so if the guy feels he wont make a profit from the items, he doesnt pick it up.

So one wonders, is there justice in this world? If she had money, she could have sued them. If she was in another country someone would have taken her plight seriously but over here, who cares about anything?

What think u? or what u think?
Savation Armee is karang guni man?
Even Karang guni man will tell you what he takes and what he leave u.
Chalities are not larbish crearing house u know!!
Even the gahmen charge u money for clearing your bin. Dun believe? look your utirities bill.
Larbish costs money. Singa Pore clean clean becos people are paid to clear larbish. Even the landfill charge money for taking lolly loads of larbish. Other countries like where u come from, space is free so larbish clearing oso free.
So please dun criticise SA before u know the facts.
They good enuf to clear the 'larbish' that can help them bring money for the good chality work they do.

Ah Lau know, becos he once karang guni man :D

But neber work for SA before arh!

So this not paid advertising ok!!