Singapore Expats

Advice needed to stay in Singapore???

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Post Reply

Advice needed to stay in Singapore???

Post by Dereck » Fri, 09 Jun 2006 1:51 am

I hope that this is the right place to post my problem and do hope can get some advice.
My wife and I are neither local singaporean but she has been studying at NUS. She just completed her degree course and now she is bonded to work in Singapore for 3 years. She is now looking for a job in Singapore.
Upon securing a job in Singapore, she will be applying for her SPR.

Will it be easy for her to get her SPR approved?
if so, how long does it take to process a PR application?
Will i then be able to apply for a dependant pass?
If I come in singapore with a dependant pass, will I be able to work in any sector? or should i apply for an Employment pass?

Or what alternative do we have to legally stay in Singapore since she is already there.

Thanking you in advance for you help and advice,

Search By

Posts: 35
Joined: Mon, 03 May 2004 2:49 am

Post by scottishsteve » Fri, 16 Jun 2006 3:27 pm

You cannot get a paying job with a DP.

I would suggest that you try and find a job and get an EP. (this depends on your own merits as I am sure you are aware)

Failing that you could always get DP first until you find a job.

Good Luck

Posts: 754
Joined: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:11 am
Location: Brunei

Post by Matney » Fri, 16 Jun 2006 4:06 pm

I came on a DP on my husband's EP. I found a job about 6 months later. My DP is still valid with a letter from my employer. I am hoping to change to EP after I return from holiday in July. But have been told that can be tricky. So one can look for a job while on DP, but it is not our sole income and understand it is easier to get the job before you land at Changi.

Posts: 1
Joined: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 4:02 am

Post by Dereck » Tue, 20 Jun 2006 4:08 am


what does you mean by "You cannot get a paying job with a DP". Does this mean that If i get a job in singapore, I will not be able to work on a LOC?

I had a job proposal but application for EP was rejected because insufficient quota. Still trying to look for one but really hard.

What else can do?

User avatar
Posts: 890
Joined: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:31 am
Location: Simei

Post by riversandlakes » Tue, 20 Jun 2006 7:26 am

Can you perhaps contact/email ICA directly detailing your scenario?
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

Posts: 66
Joined: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 8:57 pm


Post by kaurikid » Sun, 02 Jul 2006 12:05 am

If you are a grad from NUS, NTU or SMU or local polytechnics they usually give you PR status very quickly from my experience with foreign grads.
Once you are married it seem easier for a spouse to get PR status.

Posts: 66
Joined: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 8:57 pm

Part two

Post by kaurikid » Sun, 02 Jul 2006 12:12 am

If your wife has EP she can apply for a dp for you.
You in term can apply for a LOC if you are offered a job.
LOC doesnt have a qualification or income requirement tied to it.

PR takes two weeks to a month ,

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “Property Talk, Housing & Rental”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests