Singapore Expats Forum

Riddle me this....

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

newhere
Member
Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu, 13 Oct 2005

Riddle me this....

Postby newhere » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 3:14 pm

Choose - Heaven or Hell

Facts:
1- There are 2 doors to choose from.
2- One door goes to heaven, the other goes to hell.
3- There are 2 men at the doors and they both know which door is which.
4- One ALWAYS tells a lie, the other ALWAYS tells the truth.
5- You can ask 1 question to any 1 man.

What question do you ask and who do you ask to correctly choose heaven?
Good Luck

User avatar
Loops
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon, 13 Sep 2004

Postby Loops » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 3:22 pm

simple \"does my bum look big in this?\"

Lost
Member
Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu, 01 Jun 2006

riddle me this...

Postby Lost » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 4:18 pm

cant wait anymore.. what is the answer? the suspense is killing..

User avatar
Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2306
Joined: Tue, 19 Jul 2005

Postby Wind In My Hair » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 4:42 pm

ask either man which door the other would say leads to heaven.

then go through the other door.

User avatar
CardZeus
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri, 07 Oct 2005
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby CardZeus » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 4:46 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:ask either man which door the other would say leads to heaven.

then go through the other door.


Or.. ask either man which door the other would say leads to hell and go through that door :cool:
The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible.

User avatar
Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2306
Joined: Tue, 19 Jul 2005

Postby Wind In My Hair » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 5:11 pm

another riddle:

there are three doors. behind one is a million-dollar prize and behind the other two are goats. the person in charge knows where the prize is. you choose one door, and he opens one of the other two to reveal a goat. then he asks if you want to change your mind.

in order to maximise your changes of winning the prize, would you point to the same door or the other?

(this is a mathematics puzzle to do with probabilities so please explain your answer).

50%

Postby 50% » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 7:10 pm

The probability is 50% , whichever door you choose

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: Riddle me this....

Postby ksl » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 8:09 pm

newhere wrote:Choose - Heaven or Hell

Facts:
1- There are 2 doors to choose from.
2- One door goes to heaven, the other goes to hell.
3- There are 2 men at the doors and they both know which door is which.
4- One ALWAYS tells a lie, the other ALWAYS tells the truth.
5- You can ask 1 question to any 1 man.

What question do you ask and who do you ask to correctly choose heaven?
Good Luck


The question I would ask is which door leads to heaven, the person i would ask is myself!

User avatar
Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2306
Joined: Tue, 19 Jul 2005

Postby Wind In My Hair » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 9:51 pm

50% wrote:The probability is 50% , whichever door you choose


actually, it's not.

newhere
Member
Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu, 13 Oct 2005

Solved

Postby newhere » Fri, 09 Jun 2006 8:04 pm

wind in my hair got it...u made it look easy.


"ask either man which door the other would say leads to heaven.

then go through the other door."

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10412
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 09 Jun 2006 11:11 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:another riddle:

there are three doors. behind one is a million-dollar prize and behind the other two are goats. the person in charge knows where the prize is. you choose one door, and he opens one of the other two to reveal a goat. then he asks if you want to change your mind.

in order to maximise your changes of winning the prize, would you point to the same door or the other?

(this is a mathematics puzzle to do with probabilities so please explain your answer).


This is the famous Monte Hall, "Let's Make a Deal" puzzle. The contestant should always switch doors... raises the probability of winning to 2/3.

http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.monty.hall.html

User avatar
Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2306
Joined: Tue, 19 Jul 2005

Postby Wind In My Hair » Fri, 09 Jun 2006 11:38 pm

SE, once i saw you'd posted, i knew it was game over. =D>

thanks for the link. i always trip over myself when i try to explain it so the link saves me a lot of trouble. :kiss:

i didn't know it was famous but read about it in the book about the curious incident of the dog at midnight. at a wedding dinner two years ago i asked the people around the table the question and you wouldn't believe the huge debate that stormed all night just over this. even after the explanation half of them insisted it was 50-50%. and these were smart people! even included one mathematics graduate (who thought it was 50-50%). in the end one guy decided to prove it by demonstration and made us sit through 20 repetitions of the game till all but one were convinced.

User avatar
Ling2
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 267
Joined: Thu, 08 Sep 2005

Postby Ling2 » Sat, 10 Jun 2006 11:19 am

The reason why they don't see it as 2/3 probability, is that they failed to count in the probability of the 3rd door(the reveal door, which could be either of the 2 doors with goats behind) They only considered the One they have choosen and the other door that has not been revealed.

SE, that's a good website, explained it very well :)

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Sat, 10 Jun 2006 5:21 pm

Amazing stimuli! Now lets all get together and win the lotto!

Plavt
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4289
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Sat, 10 Jun 2006 5:37 pm

ksl wrote:Amazing stimuli! Now lets all get together and win the lotto!


At a 1 in 14 million chance you and I have got a hope!

Plavt.


Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests