Singapore Expats Forum

Negotiating pointers....trying to do this properly.

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Negotiating pointers....trying to do this properly.

Postby Guest » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 2:44 pm

Wish list

I am currently working on negotiating a deal for my first international job and I was hoping to get some feedback from the masses.

I am a 33 year old, American architect trying to strike a deal with a firm (HQ in Hong Kong) to work on a job in Singapore.

I have 10 years of applicable project experience and I recently graduated with a Masters of Business Administration degree from an American University.

I am applying for a project design/management position that could easily lead to a strategic position & spending 10 years with the organization.

During my interview, we spoke a bit about money. It was made clear that the company paid straight salary packages.

I told him I was felt I was worth six figures in US dollars (approx. S160,000) but would be willing to negotiate based upon perks. I told him to make me an offer and we could go from there. (Mistake #1?)

I am attempting to put together the list of negotiating points and I would like some feedback. I don’t want to put anything on the list that sounds to ‘pie in the sky’. This is the first time I have seriously negotiated for a management compensation package.

This is the list I came up with:

- Trips to the US for both the AIA convention and Autodesk University, in the interest of scouting oncoming trends on the cutting edge of architectural practice and technology

- American Institute of Architects membership dues

- Windows compatible PDA/Mobile phone

- Laptop computer capable of running all necessary design software. (DELL M70 or better)

- All Visa and Work Permit related Legal fees to be covered by the firm.

- First class fare for all business related air travel

I don’t know what is appropriate in regards to vacation time. In the USA, vacation time is scarce and though the firm is managed by Brits, I have no idea how it is treated in professional positions over seas.

Any feedback or tips on how to handle my situation would be greatly appreciated. :lol: :lol: :lol:

p

jpatokal

Re: Negotiating pointers....trying to do this properly.

Postby jpatokal » Fri, 09 Jun 2006 10:11 pm

Anonymous wrote:This is the list I came up with:
- Trips to the US for both the AIA convention and Autodesk University, in the interest of scouting oncoming trends on the cutting edge of architectural practice and technology
- American Institute of Architects membership dues
- Windows compatible PDA/Mobile phone
- Laptop computer capable of running all necessary design software. (DELL M70 or better)
- All Visa and Work Permit related Legal fees to be covered by the firm.

To me these just sound petty. If you need a PC for work, then the company will get one for you anyway (although it's not going to be yours); and if you're going to be getting a 6-figure salary and you'll work for five years, then getting a ~US$500 fancy phone is equivalent to a 0.1% raise.

Take a look at other offers discussed here -- you're missing all the usual stuff, eg. housing allowance, medical insurance, home leave, relocation costs, schooling for kids, etc. All of these are much bigger benefits than a phone.

- First class fare for all business related air travel

...and this one almost had me snorting tea out my nose. This isn't the US, where the only choices are "first" and "economy" and the price difference is a few hundred bucks; a long-haul first class seat on Singapore Airlines costs, on average, eleven times more than an economy fare. Companies that pay for first class travel in Asia (or anywhere) are very few and far between; even getting biz class may be a challenge.

I don’t know what is appropriate in regards to vacation time.

Then ask what company policy is. Do you have a draft contract yet? It should contain details about this (and much more).
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Fri, 09 Jun 2006 11:03 pm

Yeh... what JP said. You might get them to spring for business class on trips over four hours. You might also ask for flexibility in work hours/days so that you can travel/play golf on Friday afternoon.