Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore - democratic country?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Linus

Singapore - democratic country?

Postby Linus » Thu, 05 Aug 2004 9:22 pm

Before I came here I new that the freedom of the press here was limited but now I've spoken to two taxi drivers and they were both almost raging about the fact Singapore is NOT a democratic country. One told us that the first question he was asked on the job interview (for the more expensive Mercedes taxis) was "If you pick up a foreign journalist at the airport and he/she says 'Singapore is not a democratic country is it' what do you answer him?". The taxi driver answered that he is not into politics and wouldn't know, which gave him the job.

Comments and other thoughts on the political state of Singapore?

I know that when I signed an online form to get the Student's Visa I had to accept the condition not to particapate in any political activity in Singapore, which seems kind of odd.
25 year old male exchange student at NUS from Sweden.

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Thu, 05 Aug 2004 10:36 pm

I would answer thais question but I like my Employment Pass too much :shock:

nicole

Postby nicole » Wed, 18 Aug 2004 2:36 am

well personally, the term democratic has loads of definiitions. Depends how you define it. Let's just say a. Freedom of speech>>?? b. Freedom of opposition parties and activities? Well what do you think? :D

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:56 pm

Singapore isn't democratic by either (or come to think of it any) definition of the word...

krewkid

Postby krewkid » Thu, 19 Aug 2004 11:31 am

Singapore sells canned democracy. See label for instructions on how to use. Important: warm gently, do not overheat. Special can-opener can be purchased from gov.sg

nicole

Postby nicole » Thu, 19 Aug 2004 12:06 pm

Well, there u go, but well I have to say the system does work very well for the Singaporean pp. Either they are in denial or they're just simply don't care. I used to care when I was studying in Aus but when I get back, I simply don't care. And im a politics student, just kill me! :roll: