Singapore Expats Forum

How to pay income tax when employed in another country?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Mino

How to pay income tax when employed in another country?

Postby Mino » Wed, 07 Jun 2006 9:13 am

Hi,

I will work in Singapore for a year - but I will still be empoyed by my company in Scandinavia, and the salary will le paid from there. How can I pay income tax in Singapore?? It is no problem back in my country to avoid paying taxes there - but I need to know how I will be taxed in SIngapore?

Anyone? Thaaaaank you!

Pinky
Regular
Regular

Postby Pinky » Wed, 07 Jun 2006 10:36 pm

Hi Mino,

Have the same situation as you.. Only it's the other way round! Being paid in Singapore but working in Norway.

Are you hired on an Employment Pass? If so, there shold be a local company which the EP is applied through. If that is the caes then I guess you'll be taxed as a resident in Singapore. Best bet is to consult a good lawyer / accountant to sort this out.

jpatokal

Re: How to pay income tax when employed in another country?

Postby jpatokal » Wed, 07 Jun 2006 11:20 pm

Mino wrote:I will work in Singapore for a year - but I will still be empoyed by my company in Scandinavia, and the salary will le paid from there. How can I pay income tax in Singapore?? It is no problem back in my country to avoid paying taxes there - but I need to know how I will be taxed in SIngapore?

So you're sure you don't need to pay tax at home? What will your status in Singapore be, do you have an employment pass or are you working illegally (because that's what it boils down to) on visit passes?
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Mino

Postby Mino » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 7:50 pm

I am applying for an employment pass - without that I guess their is not much chance of paying tax here..? Anyway, my company just opened an office here, so I have relocated here for about a year or so my boss here will actually apply for the employment pass for me.

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Fri, 09 Jun 2006 9:59 pm

Mino wrote:I am applying for an employment pass - without that I guess their is not much chance of paying tax here..? Anyway, my company just opened an office here, so I have relocated here for about a year or so my boss here will actually apply for the employment pass for me.

If you have an EP, you'll pay taxes in Sg, and thus probably don't need to pay them in Canada. Better check with the tax people back in Canada though...
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague