Singapore Expats Forum

OVERSEAS AU PAIR

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

chicsavvy

OVERSEAS AU PAIR

Postby chicsavvy » Tue, 06 Jun 2006 9:34 am

Hi peeps, just wana get some opinions about working as an overseas au pair. I have received quite a number of offers so far which I have registered some time ago with a website. But, I am rather sceptical about the whole thingy. It's just too good to be true.

You see, out of 5 offers, I have already received 3 from a singled-parent father who claimed that their wives died in accidents and so on. Plus, they all created "urgency" to require the service almost immediatedly. The hush was just too unrealistic. And they pay quite handsomely weekly.

And when I requested for their useful information, most just seemed to shun or gave invalid details.

Scams. Syndicates. Whaterever that is.

I like to hear some opinions from expats too.
Introvert + Extrovert = Controversy! That's me ;)

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 12:02 am

With all due respect, I think you're on the wrong board -- there are basically no (Western) au pairs in Singapore, nor Singaporeans working as au pairs elsewhere. The laws here don't even allow single males to get maids.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

chicsavvy

Postby chicsavvy » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 1:49 pm

With all due respect, I think you got the wrong idea -- I was asking bout being an overseas au pair in other countries, not in Singapore. As a born and bred here lass, I clearly know that maids and aupairs are also of totally different concepts.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 08 Jun 2006 8:50 pm

jpatokal wrote:With all due respect, I think you're on the wrong board -- there are basically no (Western) au pairs in Singapore, nor Singaporeans working as au pairs elsewhere. The laws here don't even allow single males to get maids.

Hey JP. Bout time it not me who's stepped in it! :P

Postby Guest » Fri, 09 Jun 2006 7:51 pm

chicsavvy wrote:With all due respect, I think you got the wrong idea -- I was asking bout being an overseas au pair in other countries, not in Singapore. As a born and bred here lass, I clearly know that maids and aupairs are also of totally different concepts.

There was an article in the news paper, Straits Times a while ago, demand in USA is strong for Mandarin speaking au pairs, and the pay was very good. Contact the news paper to see if you can locate the article. Also be very careful to check out all leads in a safe way, there are slave peddlars all over the place these days. Remain in contact with your embassy, and ask for guidance on safety, if you do go abroad.

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Fri, 09 Jun 2006 9:33 pm

chicsavvy wrote:With all due respect, I think you got the wrong idea -- I was asking bout being an overseas au pair in other countries, not in Singapore. As a born and bred here lass, I clearly know that maids and aupairs are also of totally different concepts.

So you're Singaporean and want to be an au pair somewhere else? You're free to ask, of course, I'm just saying that I still don't think you're going to find others in your position here...
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

lyzadavies

Persevere

Postby lyzadavies » Sat, 10 Jun 2006 7:32 am

If it is your desire to be an au pair overseas, then continue to persevere, I am sure there are licenced agencies out there. Also, checking with the origin's council or business listings, would probably help. I live in the UK for a few years now, and I know there are trusted agencies here so go for it. Just be smart. :)

chicsavvy

Postby chicsavvy » Sat, 10 Jun 2006 10:47 pm

Yes, thx for the valued opinions. Myself, I have lived in the UK before too so I am not the least unfamiliar with the place :)

And I know there can happen a lot of those sex/slavery syndicates going around deceiving women and force them into doing something against their will or what's promised at first is different later.

sharkie8480
Regular
Regular

Postby sharkie8480 » Sun, 11 Jun 2006 8:37 pm

Hi, if you r interested in being an au pair, you can go to Aceglobal ( http://www.aceglobal.org/au%20pair/au_pair.htm ) to check it out. At least it has a proper office( near Bugis) and been featured in the newspapers before. You have to be 26 and below to qualify for it though.
Hope this helps!! :)

chicsavvy

Postby chicsavvy » Sun, 11 Jun 2006 8:46 pm

Oh dear, I've past 26. Anyways I do know in some of EU countries, there certaing age requirement. So...

sharkie8480
Regular
Regular

Postby sharkie8480 » Mon, 12 Jun 2006 2:30 am

Well Aceglobal has many other overseas opportunities. You might want to check out the website or call them. :)