Singapore Expats Forum

IBM

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Tue, 12 Dec 2006 7:00 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:r&l, sorry to hear that. Maybe EADG knew something you didn't know, eh? That's was a big boost for your ego I know but maybe there's still something to be gleaned from the whole experience. chalk it up to experience. You are definitely a wiser man today than you were 6 months ago. Right?

As I'm sure you're finding out, big companies are always evil. Your choices are to join the dark side and become evil yourself, or head out while you still can...
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

vink
Regular
Regular

Postby vink » Wed, 13 Dec 2006 4:24 pm

jpatokal wrote:As I'm sure you're finding out, big companies are always evil. Your choices are to join the dark side and become evil yourself, or head out while you still can...

Can't agree with you more.. that's why I jumped ship after 8 months with them..

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Thu, 14 Dec 2006 2:57 am

riversandlakes wrote:Six months down the road, I am getting a little disillusioned.
Turn your disillusionment, into something more positive and you will be fine, life is a learning experience, never forget that!
The ability to absorb the negative and come back with a positive reaction, will be a self improvement, lesson learnt, you will be much stronger for it! This is experience first hand.

Super Edge obviously puts a value on himself, which is maybe what you should be doing, although I wouldn't know squat about the work, I do know what the rat race is like!

mrdodge
Regular
Regular

Postby mrdodge » Fri, 05 Jan 2007 10:32 pm

riversandlakes wrote:Six months down the road, I am getting a little disillusioned.

Speaking as someone whose company taken over by IBM, left IBM to work in some startups and then came back again, Id be interested in hearing the source of your disillusionment - my view is that IBM is no worse, and in many ways palpably better than many other companies, particularly in this region.

Not that its perfect mind and the games one has to play to get things done despite the system and the various levels of deadwood sometimes drives me crazy, but in my (now long) employment history there is nothing that makes in much worse than Accenture or Oracle, say.

huggybear
Chatter
Chatter

Postby huggybear » Wed, 31 Jan 2007 8:22 am

i agree with mr dodge. i know i'm late to the party here. i worked for a massive american company and now have switched to a sleepy british company that compartively speaking is stuck in the stone ages. i would like to hear the source of discontent.

i have found that in a large american company...no one really looks after you. you are in charge of your career and it is your duty / job to manage yourself / career / ask for help when you need it. they will give you a broad target but it is up to you to figure out what you need and how you are going to achieve it. I found it very enterpreneuial which is really the american way. and being in such a large company there are many advantages...i know for years the IBM R&D team was revered. i think my experience has shown it is best to spend a few years at the big boys before you join the small guys. you can develop a great network of contacts and see how business is down in a large corporation before settling down and starting your own company in the Silicon Valley and improving on many of the inefficienies that exist at big companies.

that is just my two cents, but really where else in the world can you have no connections / no money / limited education and just a will to survive but with some hard work (long hours) / a lot of luck become wealthier then everyone in the world?