Is there Orienteering (the sport) in Singapore

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
andis

Is there Orienteering (the sport) in Singapore

Post by andis » Sat, 27 May 2006 7:19 am

Our family is moving to Singapore for about three years, and we all look forward to.

We already know that we will be missing skiing :? , but the one thing we will really be missing is our favorite sport: orienteering. I have googled my fingers numb and have not come up with anything. I am aware of the hash house harriers, and the closest orienteering event I could find was in and around Darwin in the Northern Territory of Australia!!!

Any one out there that can give me hope of orienteering being practiced closer by?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 10

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 27 May 2006 5:12 pm

andis,

I'm not aware of anybody doing this. I do know that there is the HHH and one using bikes as well. But not Orienteereing.

What they are doing here though is GPS Treasure Hunting. Don't have exact info now, but at the last Computer trade show I was looking for an sd card based gps unit to use with my dopod 900. The blokes at the booth I was at were telling me about it. A bit more expensive than using maps and compasses

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

andis

Post by andis » Sat, 27 May 2006 10:10 pm

sms,

you must be talking about geocaching - the map on geocaching.org shows many geocaches in Singapore.

I must sya, from what I heard of HHH that comes closer to a sport than geocaching, and also to orienteering, as orienteering is a sport where groups of people come together and somehow compete against one another and do run and get some exercise. In geocaching only the brain gets some exercise, if it is a riddle type geocach.

Thanks for your prompt answer and enjoy the weekend.

andis

ARTER_DENT

hi

Post by ARTER_DENT » Fri, 02 Jun 2006 8:25 am

Hi i am Nikolay 26 years m from Bulgariq already 4 months working here, also looking here for orienteering but still cant find anything, anyway i am quite curious that here have peoples with the same interest, when u arrive here think will be interesting to meet you...write me bye for now