Singapore Expats Forum

Apologies to the regulars.......

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

Apologies to the regulars.......

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 26 May 2006 9:33 am

As most of you are aware, our departed Eric has decided to edit his posts (as all of us have done - but not to this extent - bar one young lady about a year ago). He has approached Pal apparently and had his nick edited to 'dot dot dot' and is currently in the process of deleting all traces of himself (or trying to) including the deletion of the titles of any thread he happened to initiate (He cannot actually delete any of his postings but can edit any of them to have no content. :(

I spent over 4 straight hours last night splitting the remainder of the posts from these threads that were edited and renamed "." I've only gone back as far as around Nov-Dec of last year. This has made a few threads (4 or 5 at most) unreadable and I have deleted those threads (most only had 4 to 9 replies and were threads of no consequence). The rest of the threads while maybe the first 2 to 5 replies do not make sense, enough of us have the habit of "Quoting" to make his whole exercise kinda sad as that defeats the whole point of the exercise.

The reason for this message it to hopefully forstall any complaints (saw one yesterday already) and to let you all at least know what's happening. Should you dredge up any old threads and find you want to bump the thread and it has been retitled "." Just send me a PM and I'll rename it in a new thread, eliminating Eric's original Post.

sms

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Fri, 26 May 2006 9:56 am

This makes me very sad. I realised this was happening, but was still holding out that things would settle down and our Eric would come back to us. While I don't necessarily agree with his actions, or more accurately his reactions, I do miss his precence here and thought our little community was richer when he was here. :(

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Fri, 26 May 2006 10:02 am

You're right Mary.

I like Eric, most of the time respect him. Enjoy his passionate postings and different point of view. A little fire in the forum wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

Sad to see him go out in such a childish, over the top way.

It's only hurting those of us who enjoyed Eric's posts. Hard not to lose respect.

Sorry you felt the need to leave and in the way that you did Eric.

Barczar
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Barczar » Fri, 26 May 2006 11:39 am

SMS,

Thanks for the update! I didn't actually notice that this was going on...last time it was very interesting and a helluva good read - watching how things progressed between Eric et al on the various threads etc, when he deaprted and everyone banding together to get him back etc.

This time however, I haven't even noticed what spurred on Eric(...)'s departure! Could you please enlighten us as to what brought this on, or point us to the posts/threads so we can read it for ourselves...Enquiring minds need to know!

On a side note, Eric if you are lurking out there reading this, thanks for the entertainment and insight you provided to this forum and it's a shame to see you go! If you ever feel like a beer (cheap one or not), my treat!

Oriental
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Oriental » Fri, 26 May 2006 11:52 am

What is going on? Has Eric been banned from this forum? If so, why?

I for one certainly want to know, as I have no intention of supporting a forum that exercises censorship on some users just because their opinion differ from that of the administrators.
Impossible is nothing!

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bremen » Fri, 26 May 2006 11:55 am

WTF happened? Geez, I'm not here for a day and Eric's gone again?
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Fri, 26 May 2006 11:57 am

From what I know he left on his own regard.

But if you do ever want to come back Eric, please do.

CardZeus
Chatter
Chatter

Postby CardZeus » Fri, 26 May 2006 11:58 am

Oriental wrote:What is going on? Has Eric been banned from this forum? If so, why?

I for one certainly want to know, as I have no intention of supporting a forum that exercises censorship on some users just because their opinion differ from that of the administrators.

Bremen wrote:WTF happened? Geez, I'm not here for a day and Eric's gone again?

Eric has not been banned - he had a 'difference of opinion' with another forum member and has apparently decided to leave the forum and delete all of his posts
The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible.

guruvishwanath
Chatter
Chatter

Postby guruvishwanath » Fri, 26 May 2006 12:44 pm

DAQ (Dumb Ass Query)..

Are we talking about Eric ???? I do not recall any posts that he was having a 'debate'??

Whilst I cant make any judgement on how a person wishes to detach from a group, I would think that one would go through all permutations of thoughts with regards to the impact prior to making such a strong decision. So if indeed such a conclusion was reached, I am sure it was done with certain thoughts which I or we would not be privy to (unless of course there are folks who meet the person regularly to make a face to face assessment).

Pity! Because this is a forum to share, argue, b**ch, complement, yank chain, drink, dance, eat, shop. Where else can you achieve all of the above????

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Fri, 26 May 2006 12:49 pm

CardZeus wrote:Eric has not been banned - he had a 'difference of opinion' with another forum member and has apparently decided to leave the forum and delete all of his posts

Not only that, he got the hump about his soccer thread being moved to the sports section and then made a post referring to me and sms as 'a couple of dorks' yet I never even read that thread let alone move it - unbelievable.

Plavt.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 26 May 2006 12:49 pm

Oriental wrote:What is going on? Has Eric been banned from this forum? If so, why?

Oriental,

Before you go and spit your dummy like Eric has done. (and make yourself look foolish as well) It would behoove you to do a little reading instead of making assumptions. If you had read the posts correctly, nowhere did anybody say anything about Eric being banned. :-|

Even the last post by "Cheekybeek" before you posted indicated that he left (not banned). Please read the posts. :?

Thanks
sms

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Fri, 26 May 2006 12:57 pm

Too much breath wasted on Eric leaving IMHO. As far as I understand it was because a thread was moved, not deleted or censored, just moved. So he did as well.

No doubt he will come back & something trivial will upset him again & he will leave again & we can have another thread dedicated to his departure.

Storm in a tea cup leading to a mountain out of a mole hill if you ask me.

Eric if you read this, it was nice while it lasted, you had some interesting views & certainly added a flavour to the fusion of the forum.

Ciao!
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Fri, 26 May 2006 12:57 pm

anyone can choose to leave when it gets too hot here. just feel sorry for SMS and any others who have been inconvenienced. eric can spend hours deleting all his posts if he wants, but to ask it of someone else when every comment was willingly published on an open forum???

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Fri, 26 May 2006 1:02 pm

Basically Eric took his bat and ball and went off by himself, of his own accord.

I have watched his posts slowly disappearing over the past few days in total disbelief that someone could spend that amount of time deleting past posts from so long ago too, and for what?

Pity to go that way, looking so childish in behaviour, but his choice I suppose...
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

Wham
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Wham » Fri, 26 May 2006 3:23 pm

To all the usuals suspects and regulare,
I have stopped visiting the site as much as i used to. The primary reason is that i felt like something was lost during the first time Eric's name was banned several weeks ago - and i felt like some type of community spirit was lost - and i just felt less good about visiting the site - and so have drifted away. While Eric may be going a little overboard by deleting all his posts, i feel that a wonderful contributer will be lost - and that hypersensitive site monitoring is to blame.

Rgds, Wham from New Amsterdam

PS Can anyone tell me who as the spineless squid that banned him the first time?
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Samuel Johnson