Singapore Expats

Driving to KL? Any good idea?

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
Jippo

Driving to KL? Any good idea?

Post by Jippo » Thu, 25 May 2006 9:58 pm

Hi,

Want to check with some more experienced ones, if it's any good idea to hire a car and drive to Kuala Lumpur for a weekend? We do have a toddler to whom we have arranged a car seat.

How are the roads, signage, traffic in general, gas stations on the way etc? :???:

Also if you have any good hints about reasonable priced car rentals - feel free to let us know! :)

Our other option was to take a bus, but heard from a friend that they tend to be really late from the schedule and having a toddler along - well, 4-6 hours on a bus wouldn't be too relaxing - to anyone...

Thanks!

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Cheekybeek » Thu, 25 May 2006 10:06 pm

Roads are good but people drive like crap. Lots of overtaking in dangerous spots but luckily the roads are generally wide enough to prevent head on collisions.

We rented from Orix, a proton wera- the same car 90% of locals drive. There are a few rental places at the tropical (?) Inn in JB. Plenty of places to get fuel. Prices were OK but cant remember exact... Think it was 80rm for 24 hours. We didn't go to KL though...No extra for KM or anything and that included insurance.

deb96
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Driving to KL? Any good idea?

Post by deb96 » Fri, 26 May 2006 9:33 pm

Jippo wrote:Hi,

Want to check with some more experienced ones, if it's any good idea to hire a car and drive to Kuala Lumpur for a weekend? We do have a toddler to whom we have arranged a car seat.

How are the roads, signage, traffic in general, gas stations on the way etc? :???:

Also if you have any good hints about reasonable priced car rentals - feel free to let us know! :)

Our other option was to take a bus, but heard from a friend that they tend to be really late from the schedule and having a toddler along - well, 4-6 hours on a bus wouldn't be too relaxing - to anyone...

Thanks!
Not a good idea that u drive to malaysia either. Unless you travel in the day! KL itself is so busy specially in the weekends too. :cool:
I suggest you join some car groups where they will convoy to the destinations. :wink:

beachbod

Post by beachbod » Sun, 28 May 2006 11:04 am

its always nice to drive up. i even drive up to thailand. the view is nice. there r some inconsiderate drivers but dun give a damn. keep smiling n dun spoil ur day. normally i'll stay in concorde KL. park the car there n u can just walk to big shopping mall around. u can also drive around if u want to explore further. its ok. just dun drive during peak hours. have fun dude.. :D

sleepy_eyezzz

Post by sleepy_eyezzz » Fri, 02 Jun 2006 4:07 pm

Driving to KL is very easy and relatively idiot proof. I suggest you to drive up via the second link (near tuas), because the traffic is alot better. Once you hit the main expressway, just follow the sign, doubt you will get lost.

However, traffic in KL can be bad, and be very careful where you park your car. Always park in a good hotel, or good shopping mall. Never park by the road. My fren park his car by the road, and the back window got smashed. I think someone is break into the car from the back window.

My only comment, be careful on where you are parking...

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

KL

Post by abbby » Fri, 02 Jun 2006 8:25 pm

sleepy_eyezzz wrote:Driving to KL is very easy and relatively idiot proof. I suggest you to drive up via the second link (near tuas), because the traffic is alot better. Once you hit the main expressway, just follow the sign, doubt you will get lost.

However, traffic in KL can be bad, and be very careful where you park your car. Always park in a good hotel, or good shopping mall. Never park by the road. My fren park his car by the road, and the back window got smashed. I think someone is break into the car from the back window.

My only comment, be careful on where you are parking...

I do feel KL or JB aren't as safe as before...there has been more car thefts, robbery and shooting, especially in the recent 2-3 years. 2nd Link would be a better option but yes..do becareful when you stop over for a bite or drinks..best to go in larger groups.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)