Singapore Expats Forum

SINGAPORE COUNTRYSIDE

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
etck

SINGAPORE COUNTRYSIDE

Postby etck » Thu, 25 May 2006 4:30 pm

Hi .. just wondering if you are aware that Singapore do have farms and it's very own countryside, called Kranji Countryside. It is a pretty good retreat location and away from the urban jungle in town. There are bistros and cafes there as well for us to have a good beer or wine in mist of nature!

I am sure it will be a good way to unwind and to experience a different kind of weekend with our friends or family. ...

Dounut
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Dounut » Thu, 25 May 2006 5:29 pm

I knew it, there are more than just farms on this island. But visiting these places are real problem, if you don't have a car, even Taxi might not want to go there or no Taxi for returning journey. :evil:

This island has thick primary forest too, also a Japanese War Shine & more. :roll:

etck

Postby etck » Fri, 26 May 2006 11:56 am

You are right Dounut. Transport is defintely an issue there..

But it 's a pretty good getaway for me and my wife from the buzzling city life during the weekend

Have you been to any of the farms? for meals?

Loops
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Loops » Fri, 26 May 2006 12:25 pm

I've been to the dairy farm on a school trip with my daughter's class once. It was quite good, but very, very hot. I hadn't even realised there was a dairy farm here until then.

If you get the 'Fun Singapore' book it tells you about the farms and which ones you can visit. My daughter also went to one of the arable farms earlier this year but I didn't go on the trip this time so don't really know much about that one (6 year olds don't give very good accounts so all she said was it was "good"!).

You can go up to Sungei Buloh too for a bit of 'out of Singapore' experience. Weekdays are much better for seeing wildlife.

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Fri, 26 May 2006 12:37 pm

Oh dear, I'd hardly call them farms...

Give me hundreds (or thousands) of acres of canola bordered by the brilliant purple hue of patterson's curse what a sight to behold, all brilliant golden yellow framed in purple... that's what I call a farm...

Missing the space of home. :( Missing the countryside :( the vinyards and orchards, freshest fruit ever, clean beautiful air, bees, birds, animals. Miss it all so much :cry:

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Fri, 26 May 2006 12:45 pm

So you know what I'm talking about.

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Postby micknlea » Fri, 26 May 2006 1:28 pm

Wow CB...that looks gorgeous...

I miss the real countryside too...and I am a city person born and bred. But when I go home there is nothing better than going for long, long drives in the country, where the roads are just dirt and there are sheep grazing, and cows, and horses and well, just and all the rest.

When we were last home my youngest son (4 at the time) didn't believe me when I told him those things in the paddocks were cows and sheep. He said, no cows and sheep live on farms. Then it dawned on me that he thinks farms are just a few buildings and a tree or two, as he only sees them in books.

This year when we go home I must take him up to our friends farm to show him what it is all about. Thanks for the inspiration CB!
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

BearHug
Regular
Regular

Postby BearHug » Fri, 26 May 2006 3:40 pm

if u wanna wine n dine overlooking farms singapore style.....try FARM MART. located at Sungei Tengah near Choa Chu Kang.

Take the Kranji Expressway and u will see the Sungei Tengah exit. once u exited, travel straight and look out for farm mart signboard.

a totally unique ambience. :D
TheTimeIsAlwaysRightToDoWhatIsRight. Image

BearHug
Regular
Regular

Postby BearHug » Fri, 26 May 2006 3:42 pm

Cheekybeek.....if farms in spore is like that....then sporean will all be living in tents dude. :lol:

Different countries have different style.
TheTimeIsAlwaysRightToDoWhatIsRight. Image

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Fri, 26 May 2006 3:48 pm

Farm mart what to say?

Yes it was different.

I really felt sorry for the animals there, the goats were in the most filthy disgusting conditions, stinking of urine and faeces. The rabbits were starving to death- they only got fed if someone paid to feed them. If you are really sensitive toward the welfare of animals don't go.

It is a pity though as there are some nice views, the Aussie wine shop and cafe are nice.

Better to go to Malaysia in order to see farms. Singapore is just not rural and no point pretending otherwise. It's got some killer malls though! :D

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Fri, 26 May 2006 5:26 pm

Thanks CB, now I'll be thinking about those poor bunnies and goats. There is a special circle of hell for people who treat animals badly...

I have 172 hours to go before...

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Matney » Fri, 26 May 2006 10:35 pm

Not counting are you, Mary?!?! It looks like New England states--Conn or NH?

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sat, 27 May 2006 9:29 am

Matney wrote:It looks like New England states--Conn or NH?

Oh I'll never tell, you're right about the New England part though. :D

Loops
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Loops » Sun, 28 May 2006 6:29 pm

Thing is, when I came to Singapore I wasn't coming for countryside or farms. I was surprised to find that they even had them here.

It's quite funny when we go home and we're sitting on the train going past fields and my kids are shouting "Look! a sheep. Wow, cows" and everyone else on the train is looking at them like they're bonkers.

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Matney » Sun, 28 May 2006 9:09 pm

MHB, looks similiar to where I grew up, too. It wasn't anywhere near the New England part of the USA.