Singapore Expats

If You Were Me...

Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.
Jock

If You Were Me...

Post by Jock » Tue, 23 May 2006 6:54 pm

Let's say you have a great idea for a website.

It's not the next Google nor will it make you a millionaire like MySpace, but it is nonetheless a useful tool that will secure a good share of a niche market.

Originally, you intended to launch it in Singapore but after some market research and talking to industry insiders, you received very favourable response. Singapore is such a tiny market and you'd obviously like to make as much out of your idea as possible. Therefore you decide to launch it on an international scale, with a focus on US.

The problem is that, for it to be successful, you need people using it. Word needs to get out because the prime source of income would be subscribers. That's easy in Singapore because you're familiar with the industry and already have people interested.

But for a US launch, you're not confident of generating enough "buzz" with your meagre marketing budget nor do you have contacts over there to be the early adopter and spread the word for you.

Will you:
1a: Launch it Internationally, propogate it with primarily Singaporean users
The problem with this approach is that someone might find it great and "localize" the idea before your's is popular in that part of the world.

1b: Launch it Internationally and take out Adsense Ads
Cost increases and usefulness doubted. I'd probably get a better respond by searching for emails of industry professionals and mailing(spam ;) them individually.

2: Launch a Singapore version, and put up a US site
Which is probably by far the best method. Local success ensured, foreign presence independant and a bonus. But global revenue is a more attractive idea!

3: Launch in Singapore ONLY, patent the concept and licence it out
Not a bad idea, but takes a long time, costs money and might fail because the concept is too "generic". Narrowing the scope of the patent is an option, but "competitors" can then always derive an alternate version that provides the primary functions.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Tue, 23 May 2006 9:36 pm

Adwords/Adsense is actually pretty good because you only pay for incoming clicks. If nobody is interested, then you don't pay anything. If you get a million incoming clicks, then you'll hopefully also get a few thousand subscribers that will pay for the cost of the campaign.

That said, getting anything that involves network economies of scale set up is always a major challenge. And if you've talked to industry insiders, you'd better assume that word about the concept is already getting around... if I were you, I'd just set up the site ASAP, promote where you can and hope it takes off. If your business can be viable with Singaporean users alone and takes off, then even in the worst case you can probably sell out to a bigger, better-connected US competitor at some point.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Oriental
Regular
Regular

Post by Oriental » Wed, 24 May 2006 12:19 am

"O"
Last edited by Oriental on Tue, 13 Jun 2006 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jock

Post by Jock » Sat, 27 May 2006 9:26 pm

thanks for the advice you two! :)

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 02 Jun 2006 12:35 pm

Jock wrote:thanks for the advice you two! :)
I was asked by a Taiwanese startup if i could brand his product globally on the internet, quite a difficult task, if you don't know where to start, I had never done it before.

I agreed on a small payment for results, it started basically has a hobby and it took me 18 months before i realised it wasn't a hobby anymore, the quarterly cheques just got bigger and bigger.

My work is complete the product is branded, it never cost me a penny for advertising or clicks. just ensure you have the right key words inside your web pages, and promote your website through the free search engines, it will accumilate steam, if you do this every month. Aim for a top 10 position.