Singapore Expats Forum

Landed PR- Fee? HELP!

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
tobeexpat

Landed PR- Fee? HELP!

Postby tobeexpat » Fri, 19 May 2006 5:41 pm

Hi, I am going to apply for this Landed PR scheme. and an immigration consulting company asked me for a fee of S$4,500. I think this figure is a bit too high; I expected something like ~S$2,000. What do you think? Am I being ripped off?

Also, will hiring an agency increase my chance of getting a PR? Or do you think I'd better prepare documents by myself? Can you suggest some good trustable immigration agencies?? I will appreciate your help.

Blaze

Postby Blaze » Sun, 21 May 2006 2:23 am

Hi tobexpat,
I did it by myself through the only consulting company (SMC) authorized by ICA. The standard fee is S$1500, which is all I had to pay.(A student applying within a year of graduation can get a discount.)

The agency charging you S$4500 will have to forward your application to SMC. So, they will pay SMC $1500 out of that $4500. The remaining $3000 could be considered as their fee to maybe help you fill the application, collect all the required documents etc...

If you fullfill the requirements of Landed PR and can read and understand English, you can send your application directly to SMC and save a bunch.

Here's what you do:
There is a list of required documents. Collect the originals where possible and get photocopies of them notarized by the SG consulate (or if you are already in SG, but a SG notary.) If you do not have originals for some documents, explain that in your cover letter.

Fill in the application, include all the notarized photocopies and other required (but non-notarizable ones), your fee and a nice professional cover letter. Send this package to SMS. I got an approval in 28 days.

In my case, I didn't have originals of paystubs or tax filings. I was told, no problems: send what ever you have and explain in a letter. The whole process was smooth and easy.

HTH
Blaze

tobeexpat

Thanks a bunch! one more question...

Postby tobeexpat » Mon, 22 May 2006 12:22 am

Hi, Blaze, thanks a bunch!! That was really really helpful!!!

I am currently living overseas, and SMC told me that I'd need to pay them by an international bank draft in US dollars drawn in a Singaporean local bank. I can easiliy get a bank draft in USD but I don't understand the local bank part. Do you have any idea? What are considered local banks? Would HSBC qualify?? BTW, I am in the U.K.

p.s. I asked this question to SMC directly but haven't got a response yet.

Hi tobexpat,
I did it by myself through the only consulting company (SMC) authorized by ICA. The standard fee is S$1500, which is all I had to pay.(A student applying within a year of graduation can get a discount.)

The agency charging you S$4500 will have to forward your application to SMC. So, they will pay SMC $1500 out of that $4500. The remaining $3000 could be considered as their fee to maybe help you fill the application, collect all the required documents etc...

If you fullfill the requirements of Landed PR and can read and understand English, you can send your application directly to SMC and save a bunch.

Here's what you do:
There is a list of required documents. Collect the originals where possible and get photocopies of them notarized by the SG consulate (or if you are already in SG, but a SG notary.) If you do not have originals for some documents, explain that in your cover letter.

Fill in the application, include all the notarized photocopies and other required (but non-notarizable ones), your fee and a nice professional cover letter. Send this package to SMS. I got an approval in 28 days.

In my case, I didn't have originals of paystubs or tax filings. I was told, no problems: send what ever you have and explain in a letter. The whole process was smooth and easy.

HTH
Blaze

Blaze

Postby Blaze » Mon, 22 May 2006 1:19 am

tobeexpat,
HSBC will definitely work as a local bank. Your problem probably will be that your banker issuing the draf will not undertand the 'drawn in a Sg local bank' part. I did not undersand it and neither did my banker in the US.

What seems to be critical is that you get the payee name exactly right on the draft : Fully and without mistakes. In my case, the software printing the draft was limited in the number of letters, so we printed SMC Mgmt Cosultant (or something like that) and SMC refused it for shortening Management to Mgmt. I had to redo it with the exact full name and then it was accepted. There was no information on the local bank stuff (and most US bankers could not do it even if we wanted it because the concept does not exist in the US).

Another option is this: If you know somebody in Singapore who is willing to help you, you can pay the money to him/her who can then hand deliver it to SMC on your behalf. SMC will then mail you the receipt or give the receipt to the person who delivers the money, based on your preference.

HTH
Blaze

tobeexpat

Thanks!!

Postby tobeexpat » Mon, 22 May 2006 4:59 am

Blaze, you are being so kind and hepful. Thank u once gain!!! I will directly send my LPR application to SMC and see how it goes. I hope I can get an approval in one month, just like you!

thanks a million,

tobeexpat

Blaze

Postby Blaze » Mon, 22 May 2006 1:21 pm

Good luck to you. Let me emphasise the need for you to fulfill the requirements of LPR, which I believe you do, failing which, you wouldn't be pursuing this course. Beyond that, pay attention to the details. Include all the documents required and explanations for that you do not have.

Do post when you get your approval and I'll drink a beer to that.
Blaze

tobeexpat

Thanks

Postby tobeexpat » Mon, 22 May 2006 7:22 pm

Hi, Blaze. Yeah, definitely I'll let you know when I get an approval!

BTW, you mentioned that I should fulfill the LPR requirements. What are they? I think the following are the only requirements?

1) hold tertiary qualifications or have other outstanding merits AND

2) are not more than 50 years of age; AND

3) are not working in Singapore.

I think I meet all three of the above. I am still in the twenties and will have a Ph.D. soon and have never worked in Singapore. But I am a bit worried because I am still in school and don't have much work experience.

FYI, I am doing a Ph.D. at Oxbridge here on full scholarship, (my first degree is from an Ivy (US) and I graduated near top of the class) straight out of college, so I have limited work experience- only internships during vacations. So, I am not really in a position to submit any pay slip. Letters of reference will come from two professors here plus my boss at a major investment bank during my last internship. They are all being very supportive.

The only concern is that I won't be able to supply any pay silps... Do you think that's gonna be a problem? Well, it seems like I am asking these questions as if you were an ICA official. Apologies, but really I've got no one else to ask.

p.s. what is an "Identity Card" that SMC needs a copy of?
Last edited by tobeexpat on Mon, 22 May 2006 7:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bunty
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bunty » Mon, 22 May 2006 7:27 pm

what does landed PR mean?

tobeexpat

Postby tobeexpat » Mon, 22 May 2006 7:33 pm

Go to the following link for info on Landed PR: http://www.smcmc.com/faqs/faqs3.htm

Blaze

Re: Thanks

Postby Blaze » Mon, 22 May 2006 11:52 pm

tobeexpat wrote:Hi, Blaze. Yeah, definitely I'll let you know when I get an approval!

BTW, you mentioned that I should fulfill the LPR requirements. What are they? I think the following are the only requirements?

1) hold tertiary qualifications or have other outstanding merits AND

2) are not more than 50 years of age; AND

3) are not working in Singapore.

I think I meet all three of the above. I am still in the twenties and will have a Ph.D. soon and have never worked in Singapore. But I am a bit worried because I am still in school and don't have much work experience.

FYI, I am doing a Ph.D. at Oxbridge here on full scholarship, (my first degree is from an Ivy (US) and I graduated near top of the class) straight out of college, so I have limited work experience- only internships during vacations. So, I am not really in a position to submit any pay slip. Letters of reference will come from two professors here plus my boss at a major investment bank during my last internship. They are all being very supportive.

The only concern is that I won't be able to supply any pay silps... Do you think that's gonna be a problem? Well, it seems like I am asking these questions as if you were an ICA official. Apologies, but really I've got no one else to ask.

p.s. what is an "Identity Card" that SMC needs a copy of?

tobeexpat,
Yup, the three requirements are it. Beyond that, it's a call on ICA's part to see if you can be useful to Sg. I think that a Ph.D in science/math/stats/eng/cs kind of fields will help. Sg is into high tech. I think it was my Ph.D in chemistry that helped me, although I had some work experience as well. But one really can't predict these things with too much accuracy. ICA is a black box, but they are very very reasonable.

Aren't you getting an assistantship? You should produce those payslips.

For Identity Card, you should write "Not Applicable" or "NA".

Good luck
Blaze

tobeexpat

Thank again

Postby tobeexpat » Tue, 23 May 2006 3:52 am

Hi, Blaze. Thanks again. I guess I've asked you too many questions already and will leave you alone for a while. I'll let you know when I get an approval. Cheers!

Abby113

Postby Abby113 » Tue, 08 Aug 2006 5:07 pm

Hi,

would my boyfriend be able to apply for that?

He did not complete his degree in Illinois...I think he stopped after his second year... He majored in Massage Therapy and minored in Arts.

Is it possible?

Thanks, Abby
abbylim1984@yahoo.com
Independance!!!

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Tue, 08 Aug 2006 10:39 pm

Abby113 wrote:Hi, would my boyfriend be able to apply for that?

No. Tertiary/professional qualifications and prior employment are a must.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

ncrystal

Re: relocating, moving to singapore

Postby ncrystal » Wed, 31 Dec 2008 12:03 pm

Dear Blaze,

would like to ask since you have done the successfully the SLPR. What is the tips or advice to get it done successfully. I'm planning to apply for that but abit confused and blur at what to do: i.e: the Identity card needs to put NA etc...

Could you share some advice about how u wrote the professional cover letter?

Your reply is very much appreciated!

Thank you!