Singapore Expats Forum

Panicking a bit! Job/visa for boyfriend - what should we do?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

yorkshirelass

Panicking a bit! Job/visa for boyfriend - what should we do?

Postby yorkshirelass » Thu, 18 May 2006 5:32 am

I've kind of asked this question before and been trying to do my research, but I'm still struggling! Please help.

I've accepted a Post-doc position at Biopolis, working with my current boss who is starting a new lab in Singapore (I'm currently in the UK and my boss has been on Sabatical in SG for the last year).

I'll be starting at the begining of August and obviously, I'm very excited. BUT, my boyfriend has no job offer and isn't a scientist so won't be able to wrangle a job at Biopolis. I don't (and won't) go to SG without him, but we're not yet ready to get married. We'll have been living together for just about a year when we move, so I don't think we'll be able to get a 'common law' kind of offical documentation to get him a dependents or social visit visa, so what can we do?
He currently works in Public relations and has a degree from Bournemouth University in PR and 2 years experience (he's 23). Do you think we should persist with looking for a PR/marketing job for him? (most seem to be for PRs or SG residents and/or bilingual with Mandarin). Or should he do a TEFL course and hope to get a job teaching english (can you even get a work visa for that?).
I'm really panicing that he won't get a visa and will not be able to stay. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance :)
Last edited by yorkshirelass on Wed, 31 May 2006 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ioulia

Re: Panicing a bit! Job/visa for boyfriend - what should we

Postby Ioulia » Thu, 18 May 2006 9:00 am

yorkshirelass wrote:I've kind of asked this question before and been trying to do my research, but I'm still struggling! Please help.

I've accepted a Post-doc position at Biopolis, working with my current boss who is starting a new lab in Singapore (I'm currently in the UK and my boss has been on Sabatical in SG for the last year).

I'll be starting at the begining of August and obviously, I'm very excited. BUT, my boyfriend has no job offer and isn't a scientist so won't be able to wrangle a job at Biopolis. I don't (and won't) go to SG without him, but we're not yet ready to get married. We'll have been living together for just about a year when we move, so I don't think we'll be able to get a 'common law' kind of offical documentation to get him a dependents or social visit visa, so what can we do?
He currently works in Public relations and has a degree from Bournemouth University in PR and 2 years experience (he's 23). Do you think we should persist with looking for a PR/marketing job for him? (most seem to be for PRs or SG residents and/or bilingual with Mandarin). Or should he do a TEFL course and hope to get a job teaching english (can you even get a work visa for that?).
I'm really panicing that he won't get a visa and will not be able to stay. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I came out on a tourist visa (max three months) for an unpaid internship having wasted months on end trying to secure a job from the uk. I understand however, that it is possible to find a job here and that employers can apply for a visa on his behalf. My advice is that he send his cv to companies he is interested in, stating that he will be coming over and asking if anything is available. Good luck sorry i can't be more helpful.

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Thu, 18 May 2006 3:44 pm

Is it urgent that he gets work? Can he come here and stay on a long-term social visit pass? - your boss would need to sponsor it, but he wouldn't be able to work with this though.

Might be best that you start job-hunting now and see what kind of responses you get, and get a LTSVP application ready in the meantime.

yorkshirelass

Postby yorkshirelass » Thu, 18 May 2006 11:34 pm

Thanks for the advice.
He wants a job mostly for his sanity (and mine, the thought of him chilling out all day while i'm working will be tough!) and also for the extra income, but the most important thing is for him to be with me, and if that is on a social visit visa that is ok. My boss is british as well and has only been there a year, would he still be able to sponsor him for this visa? If so, we'll get that sorted and in the meantime he is applying for jobs. One problem is that they mostly want people to start ASAP and he can't leave his current job till late july. Letters to companies is also ongoing.
thanks, and any more advice is welcome.

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Thu, 18 May 2006 11:38 pm

Your country has to recognise 'common law marriage' and you have had to been living with your boyfriend for a certain period. You also have to be able to prove this with evidence such as bills, bank accounts etc.

Ioulia

Postby Ioulia » Fri, 19 May 2006 11:53 am

yorkshirelass wrote:Thanks for the advice.
He wants a job mostly for his sanity (and mine, the thought of him chilling out all day while i'm working will be tough!) and also for the extra income, but the most important thing is for him to be with me, and if that is on a social visit visa that is ok. My boss is british as well and has only been there a year, would he still be able to sponsor him for this visa? If so, we'll get that sorted and in the meantime he is applying for jobs. One problem is that they mostly want people to start ASAP and he can't leave his current job till late july. Letters to companies is also ongoing.
thanks, and any more advice is welcome.

Just got back from a job interview and think i start on monday. All i have is my travel visa so will pass on whatever info i get about the paper work that is needed as and when they tell me. Really not one to give relationship advice, but having been out here for two and a half weeks not knowing anyone other than my boyfriend and the friends he spent two months making before i came out, pushed me to the edge. From my experience "chilling" by the pool when your partner is at work is actually a lot harder than the other way around. Good luck and will definately pass on whatever information i can.

yorkshirelass

Postby yorkshirelass » Tue, 23 May 2006 12:05 am

Thanks for that. As I said, I think it's best for both our mental health and finances if he gets a job.
I look forward to hearing how you get on with the paperwork etc...
did you just come out on a 30 day vistors visa?

As for the common law thing...we've only lived together just under a year, very few of our bills are in both our names, although the tenancy agreement for our rental flat is...I'm not sure that this would be the best route for us, all things considered. If anyone has any experience of doing it as a British citizen I'd like to hear it! Thanks!

miguel

Re: Panicing a bit! Job/visa for boyfriend - what should we

Postby miguel » Fri, 26 May 2006 2:08 pm

yorkshirelass wrote:I've kind of asked this question before and been trying to do my research, but I'm still struggling! Please help.

hey yorkshirelass! me and my girlfriend had the same situation before. she was offered a job here in singapore last feb and ask me to tag along. well, i did eventhough i don't have any job offers yet.

what i did after a few days stay here in singapore, i went to the ministry of manpower (MOM) to apply for a employment pass eligibility certificate (EPE). the EPE certificate (if approved) will give the applicant (your bf) 6 months long term visit pass. 6 months i guess is more than enough time for him to secure a job here. with the EPE cert. he is now allowed to seek employment here in singapore. this cert is actually a big help.

last feb. the processing days for an EPE cert is 3 working days. i think right now, it went up to 21 working days. i think your bf can apply for the cert even if you're both still in the UK. although, before you apply he should be sure first that he'll be coming over here because the EPE is issued one time only.

anyway, if you need more info on this here's the website http://www.contactsingapore.org.sg/movi ... bity.shtml

check it out! i hope i was able to help you out! good luck to your bf and congratulations to you!

cheers!

yorkshirelass

Postby yorkshirelass » Wed, 31 May 2006 9:40 pm

Thanks for all the advice. The EPE sounds like the perfect thing for us to go for. Fingers crossed. We'll apply for that if he doesn't get any where job hunting in the next month or so.
Thanks again!
So excited now!

miguel

Postby miguel » Thu, 01 Jun 2006 12:11 am

no problem! glad to be of assistance!

congratulations to you and good luck to your boyfriend!