Singapore Expats Forum

Donation

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

crabathor

Donation

Postby crabathor » Wed, 17 May 2006 11:21 pm

www.justgiving.com

A friend just asked me to sponsor him to do skydiving, mad man! A Scottish one, and this is done in Glasgow I think.
Only I'm just curious whether this kind of donation is going to be put into good use by the organisation. How can one know?
Actually I'm curious about collections at churches as well... Especially Catholic ones.
Would you donate on events like this skydiving thingy? Why or why not?

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Wed, 17 May 2006 11:29 pm

Always a thorny question hopes money given in good faith will go to whom intended. Sadly some organizations spend so much money on administration or so they claim it is debatable how much gets through.

My guess is give to the charities or individuals you know, Christmas seems to be the worst time since I notice a number of organizations I have never heard of suddenly appear.

Plavt.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Thu, 18 May 2006 12:35 am

Yes, always a problem with this....who'll get the lion's share of the cash. However, if your friend is risking life and limb I'm sure he's researched it well, and I wouldn't worry. Hmm, a skydive, that's got to be worth a bit. If I knew the person I'd feel I had to give generously, and that's how they get you, the personal touch. Only give what you can afford, don't be shamed into giving a bundle you can't afford. Good luck to your friend, and let's hope he comes through it unscathed. Rather him than me, but then, the Scots are known for daredevilishess ...(That Braveheart film, it's got a lot to answer to!!)
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

CardZeus
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Donation

Postby CardZeus » Thu, 18 May 2006 10:47 am

crabathor wrote:www.justgiving.com

A friend just asked me to sponsor him to do skydiving, mad man! A Scottish one, and this is done in Glasgow I think.
Only I'm just curious whether this kind of donation is going to be put into good use by the organisation. How can one know?
Actually I'm curious about collections at churches as well... Especially Catholic ones.

Well I can tell you for sure that the cost of his 'jump' will come out of the donations first - so very debatable as to how much goes to those in need
The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible.

Saint
Director
Director

Re: Donation

Postby Saint » Fri, 19 May 2006 7:56 pm

CardZeus wrote:
crabathor wrote:www.justgiving.com

Well I can tell you for sure that the cost of his 'jump' will come out of the donations first - so very debatable as to how much goes to those in need

As CZ says, about 150 quid will go to the jump school to cover their costs. You are actually paying for the guy to go Skydiving!

I tend to only donate/sponsor where I know all the cash raised will be going to the worthy cause. My local drinking establishment organises quite a few events/evenings and we only choose causes where the whole money will be used (not filtered away in admin costs) or we physically buy something that the cause needs.

Return to “General Discussions”