Singapore Expats Forum

A Quick Thank You.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Plavt

A Quick Thank You.

Postby Plavt » Wed, 17 May 2006 9:53 pm

To all of you who wrote your complments in Quasi's thread 'How to become a Moderator a Singapore Expats' a very big thank you.
Be good boys and girls now.

:P :P :P :P

Plavt.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Wed, 17 May 2006 10:29 pm

You're welcome Plavt and we're all be as good as usual!

Now who wants to see a pic of our newly appointed Mod :wink:

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Wed, 17 May 2006 10:55 pm

I promise to be good on wednesdays and alternate fridays...

it's a start :wink:
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Wed, 17 May 2006 10:56 pm

So you can't be bad tonight? Darn!

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Quasimodo » Thu, 18 May 2006 9:07 am

Oh darn . . . . I thought it was Cheekybeek who had been made mod . . .

Umm, Hip, Hp Hurraaaah for: Plavt. Yes, of course. Plavt. Always was, always will be - never a doubt, always sure bet (sounding a bit like bubbles before valium now :) )

PLAVT for President!!!!!

Nah

Palvt for Kaiser

Pah:

Plavt for GOD
One in the hand is worth two of something

Ling2
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Ling2 » Fri, 19 May 2006 9:51 am

I didn't congrat you yet :) Well, hope you enough patience in you to deal with the lots.

By the way, I was wondering about your avatar. Is that a family crest or ? :)

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Fri, 19 May 2006 12:30 pm

Ling2 wrote:I didn't congrat you yet :) Well, hope you enough patience in you to deal with the lots.

By the way, I was wondering about your avatar. Is that a family crest or ? :)

Congrats Ling, you are the first one to ask. No it is not a family crest it is the Wiltshire icon, Wiltshire being my home county in England what we call a shire county (Wilt-shire) although we pronounce it a little differently. This is largely a farming community (I am not a farmer) where people speak with a regional dialect difficult for many foreigners to understand and something of a joke amongst other English. In this county you will find the village of Castle Combe where I went to primary school and where Dr Dolittle was filmed (original version). The whole school when I was there took part in the making and those nice Americans paid us quite well. (about £2 for the day a lot of money back then). Stone Henge is in the county as is Savernake Forest. The county is bordered by Hampshire( (known as Hants when writing) and Avon (formerly Somerset - a county name). Salisbury, Bath and Bristol are within easy reach. Mum lives just outside Pewsey and I attended high school in Chippenham where Eddy Cochran died in a car crash. An interesting point; when I was at school there was one maybe two Chinese families and only one Chinese take-away that I remember. These days there is a fairly large Chinese community which have opened I think a number of restaurants - not what anybody expected years ago. The town is about an hour from Paddington.

http://www.chippenhamnews.co.uk/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/local_radio/

Plavt.

bunty
Reporter
Reporter

Postby bunty » Fri, 19 May 2006 1:03 pm

what is all this mutual admiration going on.....

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Fri, 19 May 2006 1:08 pm

Stone Henge is in the county

OK Plavt, what is your view on Stone Henge? I have seen computer graphics depicting it as a tent type building that may have been used as a town hall.

And then there is the interesting debate on whether it was used as a type of calendar, as the sunset falls nicely between 2 of the rocks on the summer solstice. (I like that idea the most :) ) I remember hearing that they found the quarry where the rock came from was hundred of miles away in Wales, so it must have been of great importance for the people to go to all that trouble to build it.

But what I don't really understand is the idea of lay lines & how it lines up nicely with a few other 'mystical' places. Forgive my ignorance but I think there is a church on the same line (perhaps where King Arthur is supposedly buried) & the Glastonbury thorn - forgive my ignorance I have probably got the last bit a tad wrong.

what's your view?
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Fri, 19 May 2006 2:11 pm

I must confess Baron I've never given it a thought. To me it was just a place where the hippies like to congregate and upset everybody every summer.
I think this could be food for new thread; some of your information appears to be right though. My snippets of historical information are more westward around my home village and the city of Bath.

http://www.stonehenge.co.uk/about.htm

Plavt.

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Quasimodo » Fri, 19 May 2006 2:28 pm

I had a girlfriend in Oz once who went to work at the Costume Museum in Bath. Beautiful place . . .
One in the hand is worth two of something