Singapore Expats Forum

Great Leap into oblivion?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Great Leap into oblivion?

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 17 May 2006 11:46 am

this week marks the 40th anniversary of the Cultural Revolution. hundreds of thousands of Chinese people were killed. no commemorations are taking place in China. they want their people to forget.

has the rest of the world forgotten too?

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Quasimodo » Wed, 17 May 2006 11:56 am

Interestingly I just recently made this observation and chatted about it with my brother. He mentioned the obvious increase in soldiers, police and 'secret service' people on the streets.
The politbureau want to expunge the memory of the Cultural Revolution, The Great Leap Forward and Mao as symbols of failure, misery and death.

No ceremonies in China - nothing. It's better not to deal with one's past, easier to bury it or deny it.

Our little family will continue to boycott China-made goods.
One in the hand is worth two of something

CardZeus
Chatter
Chatter

Postby CardZeus » Wed, 17 May 2006 12:04 pm

Quasimodo wrote:Our little family will continue to boycott China-made goods.

Is that even possible? Seriously, when I look at labels on anything nowadays it's almost invariably made in China
The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible.

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Wed, 17 May 2006 12:13 pm

I was reading an article to my students the other day & it stated "China is no longer the country of bicycles & little red books" most of my students are around 18 years old & 80% are from China - only one of them knew about Mao & the little red book.

Perhaps that is evidence of
It's better not to deal with one's past, easier to bury it or deny it.
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 17 May 2006 2:24 pm

CardZeus wrote:
Quasimodo wrote:Our little family will continue to boycott China-made goods.

Is that even possible? Seriously, when I look at labels on anything nowadays it's almost invariably made in China

I should have said 'try to', but it's almost impossible - almost! We did recently buy a fan - a German brand - turned out "Made in China" . . :-|
Aside from that we have very little that is made there.

We are quite aware that it makes no difference, but it makes us feel better.

Baron Greenback:
I was reading an article to my students the other day & it stated "China is no longer the country of bicycles & little red books" most of my students are around 18 years old & 80% are from China - only one of them knew about Mao & the little red book.

Perhaps that is evidence of Quote:
It's better not to deal with one's past, easier to bury it or deny it.

That goes for many issues, one of them we recently discussed here. In China, however, you can abuse/misuse the lack of real education to chnage history in people's minds.
Even Stalin and Lenin were accorded hero status for the longest time.

'nuff said Image

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Great Leap into oblivion?

Postby Kats_ » Wed, 17 May 2006 3:03 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:....they want their people to forget.

Some how that wasnt the case when they marched to protest the content of a new Japanese history textbook which they say '......whitewash Japan's occupation of much of China during the 1930s and early 1940s.
'
:roll:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-p ... 429809.stm
tonton toto, ton thé t'a t-il ôté ta toux?

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Great Leap into oblivion?

Postby Quasimodo » Wed, 17 May 2006 3:07 pm

Kats_ wrote:
Wind In My Hair wrote:....they want their people to forget.

Some how that wasnt the case when they marched to protest the content of a new Japanese history textbook which they say '......whitewash Japan's occupation of much of China during the 1930s and early 1940s.
'
:roll:

Easily explained, isn't it?! Xenophobia and finding a common enemy is the only way to keep the masses' minds off their plight.
Where religion used to be the opiate of the masses, in China it is extreme nationalism.

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Wed, 17 May 2006 6:19 pm

Great topic for a serious discussion - Thats why it has been moved here.
Be Like Water

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Wed, 17 May 2006 6:22 pm

I thought the what goes into serious section would be self moderated by the members...

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Wed, 17 May 2006 6:30 pm

Cheekybeek wrote:I thought the what goes into serious section would be self moderated by the members...

Sorry lah but thought no one was using the new section and it seemed like a good idea at the time. If the originator wants we can move it back to the General Discussion section.
Be Like Water

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 17 May 2006 6:34 pm

here we go again. Baf, thanks for thinking the thread worthy to be here, but if i'd wanted to post it here i would have. you Mods must be getting bored eh? :P

well just to give you something to do, why don't you move this thread back to the general section? thanks!

ps: noticed you amended my topic as well. is there no end?

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Wed, 17 May 2006 6:41 pm

Bafana wrote:
Cheekybeek wrote:I thought the what goes into serious section would be self moderated by the members...

Sorry lah but thought no one was using the new section and it seemed like a good idea at the time. If the originator wants we can move it back to the General Discussion section.

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
We, or at least I, won't move a thread into there unless requested. It would be the OP who would decide the timbre of the post as that person knows when they post what they are thinking.

About time the Mods start singing from the same song sheet :roll: :lol:

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Wed, 17 May 2006 6:45 pm

I guess with your choice of topic header it didn't qualify as serious... once it was changed it was too serious to go in general discussions :???:

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Quasimodo » Wed, 17 May 2006 6:45 pm

:-|

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Wed, 17 May 2006 7:08 pm

this musical chairs game is so confusing. here's a deal for the Mods, to try to make everyone happy:

i'm ok to leave the thread here to get the forum going, together with quasi's other thread. but could we please have the understanding that there won't be liberal editing and deleting of posts such that it will be near impossible to keep up a coherent discussion?