Singapore Expats

Tramploline & Double Swing

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
SMW

Tramploline & Double Swing

Post by SMW » Wed, 17 May 2006 10:31 am

We are moving to Singapore shortly and I am so far having no luck finding suppliers for the following:

Any suggestions on where I can purchase a 10 or 12ft round trampoline, with safety enclosure and anchor pegs, to accommodate both adults and children. New or used.
Also looking for a double swing (wooden preferably), that doesn't need to be concreted in and can accommodate children up to at least 12 years. New or used.

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Matney » Wed, 17 May 2006 9:46 pm

I've been here for about 18 months now and have never see either one of the items you desire. I have seen a smaller trampoline, maybe 6' circular with outside netting, but not sure if it would take children and adults. You use to be able to order the Hills tramps in, but again I doubt if they were round.

Do you know for sure that you will have the space to put both items in your garden--if you even have one?

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Cheekybeek » Wed, 17 May 2006 9:52 pm

Oh I'm so inspired now. I can just see it an entire playground in my living room, long evenings bouncing and swinging and pissing off the neightbours ahhhhhh Love it! Might get one of those blow up pools as well.

To OP ignore that entire paragraph above! Was just off in a childhood dream there for a little while. If you have a garden you MIGHT get said items in Malaysia.

Bremen
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Bremen » Wed, 17 May 2006 9:56 pm

Also, AFAIK swings were recently banned in playgrounds as a safety hazard... So you may have problems buying that. Same thing with large trampolines.
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

micknlea
Reporter
Reporter

Post by micknlea » Thu, 18 May 2006 10:41 am

Bremen wrote:Also, AFAIK swings were recently banned in playgrounds as a safety hazard...
Please tell me this is not true, you are kidding? Banning swings? :shock:

Why don't they just go the whole hog and ban playgrounds??? Perhaps we should lock up kids in bubble wrap so they can't hurt themselves at all...or maybe they can just sit in front of screens and play on virtual playgrounds... :x

Sorry, rant over...
"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." - Unknown

SMW

Post by SMW » Thu, 18 May 2006 1:51 pm

Have found a house already, and yes, the garden is big enough for the items we are looking for.

Have sourced a round trampoline if anyone is interested:

12ft trampolines: $1125 for the set, which comes with pads, safety net and ladder. (assembly $200) Please reference www.teavyna.com the ProLine range. Also do 10ft and 14ft sizes. Available from Deborah at [email protected]. She also supplies swings, but only metal and not quite what we're looking for, so if anyone has found a source for wooden, please let me know.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Thu, 18 May 2006 3:16 pm

SMW, I was going to suggest Thurley birds, glad you found them. I'm sure you know the reason no one, or few people have wooden playsets here is because they are remarkable short-lived here in the tropics and extremely expensive. Are you moving from the US? You'd be surprised what you can fit into a container...

You may want to try these links, they are here in Singapore:

http://www.semec.com.sg/

http://www.retromax.com.sg/

http://www.playmart.com/contact/intl/singapore.html

Good luck with your move.

MHB

SMW

Post by SMW » Thu, 18 May 2006 7:24 pm

Thanks for that - but it's all a bit large for what we need. I'll contact them anyway and see if they can recommend anything.

The main reason I was going for wood was so that it wouldn't have to be concreted in. Do you know of anyone, aside from Deborah, who brings in metal swing sets? Only want one with two swings - anything I can find is either for very small children, or has all kinds of extras that we don't need and will only take up space.

Moving from Hong Kong and left all our swings, slides, etc. in the UK when we left three years ago. Not much of a selection in HK due to limited space and any of the suppliers in China won't do a single order.

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Matney » Thu, 18 May 2006 9:18 pm

Cheekybeek, you made me giggle and I needed that! I have a head full of cold, feeling miserable but tomorrow is Friday! Yeah!

Here's a giggle for you now...my daughter was given for Christmas about 3 years ago a family sized trampoline. We moved less than a year later and of course the trampoline stayed on the Sunshine Coast in the back yard. Last year when we returned, she tried to convince us that it would fit in our little patch of garden and if it didn't there was room on the roof next to the jacuzzi. Now can't you see us bouncing away, we bounce too high, lose our balance, bounce off the roof and down into the pool. We thought it was funny :lol: Realistically, I don't think we'd be laughing if it really happened.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Fri, 19 May 2006 7:16 am

The truth is trampolines are dangerous and the net that surrounds them only helps a little. Having said that, we have one and the kids love it (some of the grown-ups too :o ) Here's something you may not know, as the kids get older is is considered a prime makeiout spot...