Singapore Expats Forum

Jobs in Japan

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

TeraP

Jobs in Japan

Postby TeraP » Tue, 16 May 2006 10:44 am

Ok, I'm on the wrong website for this question but maybe this is a starting point. Anyone knows of any good websites I can go to to look for jobs in Tokyo? Or any expat forums like this one to chat w other expats in Tokyo? My fiance has been posted to Tokyo and I don't want to stay home all day. Looking for a job has been tough since I speak only English and Chinese and zilch Japanese. Any ideas where I can start would be much appreciated.

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Tue, 16 May 2006 2:48 pm

Welcome to the forum TeraP, could you start by giving us some details about yourself? All very well to say you want to find a job in Japan but that can be a thorny issue and the fact that you do not speak Japanese certainly will not help. May I suggest you start learning pronto?

The option for many foreigners at one time was to teach English as a foreign language. Please note my information is not up to date but I would imagine what follows remains the same; you are not allowed into Japan to search for work. Should you find a job while there (if you intend to search within the country) you will have to leave Japan while your work permit is processed.

From what I gather it is very difficult to find a job in Tokyo unless you have been in the city a long time or alternatively have some skill in which the Japanese are in short supply. Indeed the advice given by the 'Lonely Planet' guide is forget it unless you have.

That said I do not know your skills/qualifications so perhaps you could enlighten me and others who may have more current knowledge than I do.

Best Wishes.

Plavt.

TeraP

Postby TeraP » Tue, 16 May 2006 4:22 pm

Thanks PlavT for your indept reply.

I am Singaporean, have a BSc from a Singapore university, been working for 6 years or so in sales. My career has been in various industries since my degree is a general degree. Unfortunately, no, I do not have a job skill highly sought after in Japan like IT and manufacturing, and I'm hoping I can find a job in based on my work experience in sales and my English fluency.

Alternatively, I thought to further my education but cant see myself doing an MBA in Japanese when i can barely count from one to ten in Nihhongo!

With the growth of the expat community in Japan, there must be lots of trailing spouses in the same situation. What do they do?! Sit home, arrange flowers and wait to wash their husband's feet when they get home? :)

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Tue, 16 May 2006 6:11 pm

I think you may be slightly misinformed, I doubt if there is a growth of the expat community in Japan. As for trailing spouses again I doubt if there are that many. One of the requirements for the JET scheme (Teaching English as a foreign language through the Japanese government) was you had to be less than 30 and if I remember correctly single. Therefore I expect many expats if not the vast majority fall into this category.

A good number of expats in Japan teach English as a foreign language but even in this area it is becoming harder to find work. Although that is your best option if you are able to attain sufficient qualifications. You may find the following link some use.

http://www.japan-guide.com/

Plavt.

Ps: Contrary to what you may believe spoken Japanese is quite easy, I have a qualification myself.

sharkie8480
Regular
Regular

Postby sharkie8480 » Tue, 16 May 2006 8:03 pm

Getting a job teaching English is really difficult for non-caucasians. I tried it once, and they outrightly told us they prefer americans or english. To them, we are not "native speakers" :(

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Tue, 16 May 2006 9:20 pm

sharkie8480 wrote:Getting a job teaching English is really difficult for non-caucasians. I tried it once, and they outrightly told us they prefer americans or english. To them, we are not "native speakers" :(

Thank you sharkie, this doesn't surprise me and I have heard similar before.
However, one American who resided in Japan said: 'Asians can initially expect their English to be questioned'. However, if they capable of speaking good English they can and have taught in Japan. I do not know teraP's abilities but relevant point is to qualify which supplies proof. I do acknowledge it could still be difficult though.

Plavt.

keviny3635

Re: Jobs in Japan

Postby keviny3635 » Tue, 16 May 2006 9:49 pm

TeraP wrote:Ok, I'm on the wrong website for this question but maybe this is a starting point. Anyone knows of any good websites I can go to to look for jobs in Tokyo? Or any expat forums like this one to chat w other expats in Tokyo? My fiance has been posted to Tokyo and I don't want to stay home all day. Looking for a job has been tough since I speak only English and Chinese and zilch Japanese. Any ideas where I can start would be much appreciated.

Hi TeraP,

I could empathize how much trouble u have had in searching your job in japan. i hope these links would be help for u.

http://www.gaijinpot.com/job_search.php
http://www.careerforum.net/index.asp?lang=E
http://job.japantimes.com/index_e.php?

Since Japanese economy has been picked up now, you might have a chance to work in Japan. i also recommend u should keep on practicing ur Japanese skills.

Cheers,

Keviny

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Wed, 17 May 2006 6:38 am

If you are looking to teach English, then be warned that the decent jobs in Japan will expect a bit more than a B.Sc and good english (by decent I mean International Schools and NOT language schools - who will work you to death all weekend and three nights a week: say "bye bye" to your normal life). Even the JET programme would be hard to get into as they only interview in some countries, and those applicants are expected to be "home". Yes, that comes out sounding racist, and I guess it is. For the most part, Asian people don't speak English as a first language so unfortunately Singaporeans are kind of short-changed there.

I also agree with Plavt about the lack of expats. Forget anything even close to Singapore - Japan is nothing like here.

If money isn't a problem and you're working out of boredom, then I really recommend you get a cert. in TEFL or similar and get some basic Japanese under your belt. If you like working with young kids, there's a lot of work to be had (usually part time) teaching in kindergartens.

"Dave's ESL cafe": http://www.eslcafe.com/ has lots of jobs available in Japan, and would be a good place to sound out whether a place is any good or not. On the flipside, a lot more Japanese people are interested in learning Mandarin, so if you speak this, your chances might be higher still.

What are you going to do to for a Visa? Are you allowed to go into Japan as a spouse/dependant without actually being married?

TeraP

Postby TeraP » Thu, 18 May 2006 3:58 pm

Thanks guys, for your kind advise and recommendation on the websites.

It is a bit annoying to say the least that Singaporeans (ok, maybe not ALL) are perfectly conversant in English and yet have a hard time proving it. I've found the same problem with MBA applications. Just annoying I need TOEFL to prove my fluency in English when it is pretty much the only language I can converse in properly!! :)

I havent quite figured out how to sort out the visa problem. In the first place, can i even get a dependant visa since we're not married yet? Otherwise, I'll be on the tourist visa and have to leave every 3 mths just to get my passport stamped.

I dont think learning Japanese will be too difficult for me but to it's a different ballgame altogether to attain a working level of Japanese. That'll take awhile definitely. So how?..... (as the Singaporeans say... ) :)

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Thu, 18 May 2006 4:08 pm

I knew a guy in Tokyo who worked as a translator. He did Japanese to English though, so I don't know if there would be much demand for English <---> Chinese (assuming that's your second language). And yes, Visas are going to be a potential problem.

TeraP

Postby TeraP » Thu, 18 May 2006 5:38 pm

KevinY, the websites you sent are excellant!!!! Thank you so much!