Singapore Expats Forum

It's mentioned in the FAQ but not answered

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

PompeyBlue

It's mentioned in the FAQ but not answered

Postby PompeyBlue » Tue, 16 May 2006 2:21 am

I am an expat about to take a fairly largish pay cut to work in Singapore (from £50k here in London to $100kSGD in Singapore).

It seems a bit harsh, but I understand stuff costs less so it won't be so bad. BUT what do expat packages usually have in them ?

There is no housing cost with my pay, which I thought you usually got, pluss there is no anual return flight which again you usually get.

Should I push for a housing allowance ? Is it the norm out there ?

Thanks for any advice.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Tue, 16 May 2006 4:09 am

Expat packages would normally include some kind of housing allowance, medical insurance (a must as it's expensive) maybe a flight home if lucky.

I'm guessing you are not being transfered by your current employer, but coming to Singapore for some other reason? $100k will lead you a comfortable lifestyle, but some might question why you are taking such a drop in salary.

Yes, believe it, A Saint's supporter giving you true advice :o

Cheekybeek
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Cheekybeek » Tue, 16 May 2006 9:14 am

You can always try to negotiate. Your package sounds similar to my partners, though he got a return flight. No other allowances etc.

Things like holidays, work week, and hours make the difference as it will really affect your lifestyle if it is considerably different to what you are used to.

jpatokal

Re: It's mentioned in the FAQ but not answered

Postby jpatokal » Tue, 16 May 2006 10:53 pm

PompeyBlue wrote:I am an expat about to take a fairly largish pay cut to work in Singapore (from £50k here in London to $100kSGD in Singapore).

It seems a bit harsh, but I understand stuff costs less so it won't be so bad.

Do you have an extremely good reason for accepting this? While it's true that Singapore is cheaper than the UK, you will have a very hard time getting your old salary back if you move back someday -- much less the payraises that would have otherwise accumulated.

BUT what do expat packages usually have in them ? There is no housing cost with my pay, which I thought you usually got, pluss there is no anual return flight which again you usually get. Should I push for a housing allowance ? Is it the norm out there ?

Sounds like you're being hired on local terms, which also means you're subject to Singaporean conditions of employment (100% in the employer's favor), Singaporean retirement benefits (nonexistent for EP), etc.

Expat/"local plus" packages vary a lot, but halfway decent medical insurance and home leave trips are about the minimum.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

ringo100
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ringo100 » Wed, 17 May 2006 11:37 pm

I'm from UK and came here on a local package because I wanted to work in Asia. I think when you take into account lower tax and travel costs a Singapore salary of 65% of UK salary will be equivalent i.e. same standard of living. However, this is as a single person.

Using this as a guide your Singapore salary will give you the same standard of living as in the UK (maybe better if you live in London). Therefore, my advice is defiantly come if you want a change and adventure, don't come if you are looking to earn more money.

I had to take a similar pay cut when I first came but I spend more here and save more pounds than I did back in London.

PompeyBlue

Thanks for all of the replies

Postby PompeyBlue » Thu, 18 May 2006 4:03 am

Thanks for all of the replies (even from a Saints fan!). My only reason to it is for the adventure and a change. I am slightly sickened by the amount I'll loose each month, but on the other hand I own a house here in the UK. I'll rent it out whilst away and so it will continue toi pay for itself and so I can afford to live a little "hand to mouth"

Like I say though, it seems like a VERY substantial pay cut.

Saint
Director
Director

Re: Thanks for all of the replies

Postby Saint » Thu, 18 May 2006 7:31 am

PompeyBlue wrote:Thanks for all of the replies (even from a Saints fan!). My only reason to it is for the adventure and a change. I am slightly sickened by the amount I'll loose each month, but on the other hand I own a house here in the UK. I'll rent it out whilst away and so it will continue toi pay for itself and so I can afford to live a little "hand to mouth"

Ringo100 post is spot on, if you are coming here for an adventure and everything back in UK is sorted out, $100k is pretty good, you will live very comfortably.

Give us a PM if you need any advice on anything.

PhantomX

Re: Thanks for all of the replies

Postby PhantomX » Thu, 18 May 2006 8:13 am

Saint wrote:
PompeyBlue wrote:Thanks for all of the replies (even from a Saints fan!). My only reason to it is for the adventure and a change. I am slightly sickened by the amount I'll loose each month, but on the other hand I own a house here in the UK. I'll rent it out whilst away and so it will continue toi pay for itself and so I can afford to live a little "hand to mouth"

Ringo100 post is spot on, if you are coming here for an adventure and everything back in UK is sorted out, $100k is pretty good, you will live very comfortably.

Give us a PM if you need any advice on anything.

50k pound sterling converts to sub 150k sing $ which after tax in UK will equate to a little sub 100k sing. ie 35k pound sterling.
100 k sing after tax would be ard 80k Sing which equates to around 28.5 k pound

35k pound sterling leaves alot less hand to mouth in the UK ...and if you were in inner city london it'll be more like subsistence

28.5 k pound sterling cash in hand in Sing will sound as though the jackpot machine had just emptied into your pocket.

Try using the Big Mac Index as a comparative and you'll get the idea 8-)
X

ringo100
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ringo100 » Thu, 18 May 2006 8:42 pm

$100k after tax in Singapore will give you about $93k (if Singapore tax resident) which you will be if you stay more than six months.

If you are not a tax resident (maybe first year if you get the timing wrong) you will be taxed at 15%.

The best thing here is the lack of the extra taxes like CC which is a killer as it come out of your net pay. And VAT (GST) is only 5%. The killer is beer. It seems that much worse because everything else is much cheaper. An average night out here costs me more than a big night in the UK.