Singapore Expats Forum

Reneging Signed Job Offer for Another?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Reneging Signed Job Offer for Another?

Postby riversandlakes » Tue, 16 May 2006 1:47 am

I've always wondered what exactly the legal penalty is for this:

Accepting a job offer (as in signing the offer letter) and later reneging it to accept another.
I did that once to a dairy products manufacturer, and got away scott-free, besides being blacklisted there now.

For sure I do not these dishonorable things for fun. You see, you wanted Job B more than Job A, but Job A came first and true with that Black & White than Job B - and you might not get Job B in the first place...

I'm seeing another such "scenario monster" looming on the horizon. World's #1 financial institution is hiring, but dragging its feet at an impossible pace - 1 month and no 2nd round, yet the recruitor says it's because they ARE really dragging their feet. And the 2 interviewers and I had such a good time "sparring" in that 1st interview, with many "very good"s from them to boot.
I'd think I've not lost this one, but I won't bet my financial security on it...

At the same time, going into 2nd and 3rd rounds elsewhere :roll:

Any ideas, especially from long-time folks in the workforce?
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

Miss Swan
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Miss Swan » Tue, 16 May 2006 1:46 pm

Can you actually do that? I have no idea what the penalty is, but once you've put your signature down, on that very contract, you're in a way, legally bound.

So unless you're willing to pay compensation on their terms, hardly anyone will do what you're suggesting.

Frenchman

Postby Frenchman » Tue, 16 May 2006 4:58 pm

I would think its best to make a decision before hand, if possible, however, in some cases, you may have to do that.
Besides ruining your reputation with the company, I believe you should be liable under the contract. I.e give notice, which time can change since you may be in a probation period....it depends on the terms of the contract.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Tue, 16 May 2006 5:53 pm

I wouldn't worry about it as it happens all the time. Signing the letter of offer only means you are agreeing to the terms that the company have offered you.

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Tue, 16 May 2006 11:53 pm

Just remembered that firms do that too - Firm C in my home state offered a job to a guy and reneged that offer after the quarterly results went bad. "Sorry", they said.

Looks like free lunch, no?

ringo100
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ringo100 » Wed, 17 May 2006 11:39 pm

I think there would be no problem. Just some burnt bridges.

brifusg
Regular
Regular

Postby brifusg » Wed, 17 May 2006 11:44 pm

Look like some forks here are talking things in countries other than Singapore. In Singapore, can we actually do that?

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Thu, 18 May 2006 2:14 am

Yes, yes, is it permissible in Singapore?

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 18 May 2006 2:17 am

riversandlakes wrote:Yes, yes, is it permissible in Singapore?

I've just spoken to Mrs S who used to work in the HR dept of a DBS and she agrees with what Ringo100 and I have said.

So no worries mate

uk-kiwi
Regular
Regular

what to do

Postby uk-kiwi » Mon, 22 May 2006 8:41 pm

make sure your agency makes it clear to company A that you are interviewing elsewhere so if they are dragging their feet then they may hurry up a bit (if they think you are worth it!). when company B gets serious about offering you a job, or does in fact offer you a job, just tell your agency that you are looking to sign but you'd prefer to hear from company A first as it's your preferred. they will pass that info on and if you are a serious contender then they won't let you fall through the net - used to come across this scenario all the time in the IB i worked for. those that were just in the maybe pile we told to go for the other job and those we initially thought were definately potentials we expedited before a competitor got to sign them up. use your agency to play it a little...they only get their commission after you have stayed in a job for say 3 or 6 months so they will want you to be happy.

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Postby k1w1 » Wed, 24 May 2006 8:45 am

I have seen a contract recently where the employee agrees to pay the employer 10,000 SGD, if they sign the contract and then do not start it. I guess it has happened often enough to them.

Where I currently work, there are several stories of people just not getting off the plane in Changi, and never talking to the employer again - contract is signed but they are MIA.

Just make sure there's no clause that could bite you, I guess.