Singapore Expats Forum

Social Clubs & Ex-Pat Packages

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

mmwolfe

Social Clubs & Ex-Pat Packages

Postby mmwolfe » Tue, 16 May 2006 1:31 am

My husband is getting moved to Singapore with his job and is on a full ex-pat package and not sure if we are able to get a social club included. Does anyone know how common it is - do alot of companys pick up the cost or a part of the cost of a social club (he is at a "Director" level with a large Fortune 500 Company).

Also on that point we are lookign at the American Club - does anyone have any feedback on what it is like (for a family with 2 young children).

Many thanks,

jpatokal

Re: Social Clubs & Ex-Pat Packages

Postby jpatokal » Tue, 16 May 2006 11:04 pm

mmwolfe wrote:My husband is getting moved to Singapore with his job and is on a full ex-pat package and not sure if we are able to get a social club included. Does anyone know how common it is - do alot of companys pick up the cost or a part of the cost of a social club (he is at a "Director" level with a large Fortune 500 Company).

Given the salary I presume this implies, whether the club membership is included or not is hardly going to break the bank... but the answer is that yes, some companies do foot the bill for some senior staff. So go ahead and ask for it, and if they say it's company policy not to provide it, then deal with it.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

social

social clubs

Postby social » Fri, 09 Jun 2006 12:58 am

If your company does not provide membership then an alternative opportunity would be to negotiate your landlord to pay the annual fees for you and have it be a part of your rental allowance. I knew a family that did this. The company HR dept was aware of it and did not mind as long as they did not go over their budget and HR did not have to list the membership as a company provided benefit. The husband was not at the director level, I would assume if your husband is then a club membership and possibly a golf membership in Singapore or Malasia might be expected. Golf is the expensive membership that is given to VIPs. It is important to establish up front everything you expect and negotiate for what might want, since once you get to Singapore usually the package is considered set and agreed upon, so new perks are hard to add.

My children enjoyed the American Club, but be aware, they expect you to keep an eye on children younger than 12.