Singapore Expats Forum

Cruise ship jobs

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

sharkie8480
Regular
Regular

Cruise ship jobs

Postby sharkie8480 » Mon, 15 May 2006 10:46 pm

Anyone ever worked on a cruise? How did u get the job? How's the pay?

ironlady
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ironlady » Tue, 16 May 2006 9:53 am

hey sharks,,,, check out this website www.cruisecrew.com its always in the Straits Times... i heard u have to pay some fee and they will send u the info ...
Life is not like a smooth sailing ship.It has ups n downs

sharkie8480
Regular
Regular

Postby sharkie8480 » Tue, 16 May 2006 10:40 am

Well...dunno how trustworthy those are. I'd rather hear from someone who has done it, y'know? :)

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Tue, 16 May 2006 2:59 pm

Ironlady and Shark8480,
May I offer you some advice? Be very wary of such advertisements, I have just looked and not for the first time you have to pay something to get information, I suspect a prize con!

The competition for such jobs will be as severe as it is for flight attendants and in my opinion not nearly as rewarding. On such ships you will have to
share your accommodation, work extremely long hours, be away from home longer than many and the pay will not be anything outstanding. Unless you have a great love of loneliness and being in the open sea for long periods forget it!

As far as I know the merchant navy is getting smaller so the opportunities are not as good as the website mentioned makes things look. Take care and try to read up on these things before blithely blundering into unknown territory.

Best Wishes.

Plavt.

ironlady
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ironlady » Sun, 28 May 2006 12:54 pm

Aiya of course , anyone sensible is not going to send any money over... unless that person is willing to take a risk or is a complete fool to believe such stuff..but then again ................ :???:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 28 May 2006 1:31 pm

ironlady wrote:Aiya of course , anyone sensible is not going to send any money over... unless that person is willing to take a risk or is a complete fool to believe such stuff..but then again ................ :???:

How many have been fooled by Nigerian Scammers? There is a fool born every minute, especially when it come to the idea of easy money or something for free. If you cannot understand then when the next schoolbook giveaway for the poor happens check out the Merc's ands BMW's outside.

:oops: