Singapore Expats Forum

Woodworking in Singapore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

abdl154

Woodworking in Singapore

Postby abdl154 » Sun, 14 May 2006 4:10 am

How does one do woodworking in Singpore - typically one needs quite a bit of space, and most landed houses seem to have a carport rather than an enclosed garage or basement. Are there any woodworking clubs around?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 14 May 2006 11:29 am

I did it using the domestic quarters when I lived in Seletar Airbase's black & whites. Also used a very large tarps around a shed (actually a 14' x 22' walless carport that was standalone)

Unfortunately, now days I'm limited to fooling around with my dremel tool only as I've bought an HDB so had to sell all my heavy power tools (table saw, router, belt sander, power planer, Drill Press, chain falls, etc. - Kept a drill, pad sander & jigsaw plus the dremel tools and a selection of chisels and assorted hand tools, planes, bar clamps, etc. More for repair now rather that NewBuild as before.

Never found / or was aware of any woodworkers clubs here as most woodworkers here are businessmen (local) and most expats are more social than of the earth - I'm an ole farmboy myself. This HDB flat is killing me! :(

sms

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Postby earthfriendly » Sun, 14 May 2006 1:55 pm

SMS, so sorry to hear that. I think it must be very tough. If I am your age (sorry but no disrespect intended), I would probably want to be surrounded by familiar sound and objects, especially from childhood. I can only imagine your pain.

Is there a place, either in SG or Malaysia, where you can rent a workshop so you can woodwork to your heart's content?

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Sun, 14 May 2006 2:01 pm

Last edited by dot dot dot on Wed, 17 May 2006 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Quasimodo » Sun, 14 May 2006 2:24 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: walless carport that was standalone)

Unfortunately, now days I'm limited to fooling around with my dremel tool only

And your wife approves??? :D

Our cheesehaed friend has a good suggestion - or how about those little plots od land to do your stuff on on week-ends? (Eric, help me oit - in German they're called Schrebergarten)
One in the hand is worth two of something

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 14 May 2006 3:24 pm

She approves as long as I do it on the balcony and it's something for her. :wink:

The rental of a shop space is a bit too much for a hobby although my other pasttime is restoration of classic sports cars (and others) although the only thing I restored here in Singapore was a '66 Mini Cooper Mk 1. The stand alone shed with tarp and my amah's quarters worked just fine.

Sadly, when I bought the flat I sold all the tools except for the small bits so am patiently waiting until I get back to the farm where I also have a proper workshop and decent sized barn with concrete floor to work to my hearts content.

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Postby dot dot dot » Sun, 14 May 2006 3:31 pm

Last edited by dot dot dot on Wed, 17 May 2006 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

abdl154

Thanks Guys

Postby abdl154 » Mon, 15 May 2006 4:39 am

Looks like it works best to rent some space at an industrial site in Ubi. Anyone know what the rental out there would be - I would need about 20 or 30 sqm.

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Thanks Guys

Postby tiki » Mon, 15 May 2006 9:59 am

abdl154 wrote:Looks like it works best to rent some space at an industrial site in Ubi. Anyone know what the rental out there would be - I would need about 20 or 30 sqm.

If you're pretty handy with the errrr.....hands, why don't you approach schools near your place eh.

Be chums with the technical studies teacher/instructor/workshop hands and you never know, you might get some 'free time' on weekends.

Just be nice.
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Quasimodo » Mon, 15 May 2006 10:54 am

tiki wrote:
abdl154 wrote:Looks like it works best to rent some space at an industrial site in Ubi. Anyone know what the rental out there would be - I would need about 20 or 30 sqm.

If you're pretty handy with the errrr.....hands, why don't you approach schools near your place eh.
Be chums with the technical studies teacher/instructor/workshop hands and you never know, you might get some 'free time' on weekends.

Just be nice.

That just sounds kind of wrong . . .
One in the hand is worth two of something

tiki
Reporter
Reporter

Postby tiki » Mon, 15 May 2006 11:03 am

Quasimodo wrote:
tiki wrote:

Just be nice.

That just sounds kind of wrong . . .

[-X
:D :D

..I'm sure he's a happily attached Man.
'If you feel alive

in a darkened room

Do you know the name

of your solitude..'

abdl154

Postby abdl154 » Mon, 15 May 2006 6:05 pm

Not sure which way this thread is dangling, but I am fully attached with 2 kids! The school idea is a good one, but I have quite a bit of big machinery as well, which I have acquired over the years and would be pretty devastated to have to leave behind or sell. Do you guys have U-Store-its in Singpore where one could comfortably store stuff for 2-4 years at pretty minimal rates for a few cubic meters of stuff?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 May 2006 9:54 pm

Yes there are places like that here (it's a relatively new concept here - not like at home). That said, depending where you are coming from why would you pay shipping just to put them in storage? Or are you in Malaysia and coming by land? If coming from UK, US or Aus I would advise storage there as the humidity here is rough on woodworking equipment that's not being utilized regularly. The places here may well be airconditioned but I do not know.

sms