Singapore Expats Forum

SIA air stewardess

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
rachelkoh87
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat, 13 May 2006
Contact:

SIA air stewardess

Postby rachelkoh87 » Sat, 13 May 2006 12:07 pm

im a 20 year old girl who really want to become an air stewardess (SIA)
but unfortunately im just 155 cm height.... can i join the SIA with this height??? :cry:

i can speak in Mandarin, Cantonese, Bahasa Malaysia, English...
i also have swimming skill
WILL THESE GIVE ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO APPLY FOR THE SIA STEWARDESS??

is the height really that important!!!

anyone who know the answer please let me know if i really can apply for this job.... :( ...

thanks...

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Re: SIA air stewardess

Postby Plavt » Sat, 13 May 2006 2:11 pm

rachelkoh87 wrote:im a 20 year old girl who really want to become an air stewardess (SIA)
but unfortunately im just 155 cm height.... can i join the SIA with this height??? :cry:

i can speak in Mandarin, Cantonese, Bahasa Malaysia, English...
i also have swimming skill
WILL THESE GIVE ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO APPLY FOR THE SIA STEWARDESS??

is the height really that important!!!

anyone who know the answer please let me know if i really can apply for this job.... :( ...

thanks...


Why don’t you just face facts? You are not tall enough. http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_UK/content/company_info/careers/cabincrew_details.jsp This has been discussed before and only recently. Some airlines accept candidates a little shorter but you need to hunt around. SIA are unlikely since they measure your height several times. Still don't be too disheartened there are other jobs you can do within the airline and it seems you have good credentials. Some of the ground jobs may be even more personally satisfying than being cabin crew.

rachelkoh87
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat, 13 May 2006
Contact:

Postby rachelkoh87 » Sat, 13 May 2006 5:09 pm

u mean i dont even have the chance to go for it..??

cause my friends say i can wear scendals... is it true...??

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Sat, 13 May 2006 5:49 pm

rachelkoh87 wrote:u mean i dont even have the chance to go for it..??

cause my friends say i can wear scendals... is it true...??


You can go for it but you will be unsucessful, I doubt they take your height wearing scandals and as I said before the measure your height several times.

I really don't know why you insist on 'harping' on about being a flight attendant. Much of the joys of the job are mere hype. Explore the possibilties of a ground job you may be surprised how much better some are and in some capacities you will have the oppurtunity to travel with more time in one or more countries than the cabin crew. For example the sales agents here sometimes find themselves in Singapore for training for a few weeks! Try to remember we will not always get we want in life.

Plavt.

User avatar
Matt10
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2006

Postby Matt10 » Sat, 13 May 2006 10:23 pm

155cm and 158cm is quite a big difference. However, just apply. You have a very slim thin chance of making it as a stewardess. Why dont you apply for other airlines where they only need you to touch a certain height(212cm). :D

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35303
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 13 May 2006 10:37 pm

Matt10,

Will you please shut up if you don't know what you are saying.

The constant comments of go ahead and apply anyway is probably the stupidist thing you could possibly tell them. Egos are fragile, Constant rejection causes a person to eventually get an inferiority complex. Just ask anybody who has been rejected or not able to get an interview over the past two recessions here in Singapore. After a while they just sort of start feeling sorry for themselves and saying what's the use.

Don't encourage people to apply when they cannot meet even the minimum requirement as stated. The physical requirements cannot be changed due to the plane configurations. The only way they would get hired if the are that short is to be built like an orangutan with arms that drag the floor. I really don't think that would fit their idea of physically attractive at all.

If you cannot say anything that will actually help these people, you should find another board to troll. Think about it.

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Sat, 13 May 2006 11:10 pm

Thank you sms, I thoroughly agree with everything you say as regards applying for a job as an FA. Somewhere in these posts it was mentioned that that SIA check your height several times, if I remember correctly it was by an ex-crew member. More than once (and as you no doubt know), I have tried to tell the likes of Matt10 and others don't encourage people to apply for something when they have every chance of failing for the reasons you state. Vaucluse stated the same thing in one of his posts.

Due to a medical complaint there are jobs I will never be able to do (age aside). That doesn't make me happy but I just have to live with the facts.
The immaturity that is so often displayed in this thread beggars belief when they are vying for a job where maturity is essential. Oh well you just cannot get through to some. Rant over.


Plavt.

User avatar
sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri, 07 Apr 2006
Location: 2012

Postby sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi » Sun, 14 May 2006 2:50 am

Matt10 wrote:155cm and 158cm is quite a big difference. However, just apply. You have a very slim thin chance of making it as a stewardess. Why dont you apply for other airlines where they only need you to touch a certain height(212cm). :D



Matt I think I remember you saying this in SIA cabin crew's topic.
Even though a person is 155cm and if her arms are long and she can touch up to 212cm on tip toes I don't think this applies for SIA right?

I only know this applies for Emirates..
In order to receive,you have to believe that you have received. (The Secret)

User avatar
tiki
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 684
Joined: Mon, 22 Aug 2005
Location: third guy from the left
Contact:

Postby tiki » Sun, 14 May 2006 12:09 pm

Hey Shaz....

you're 'wanted' in the beauty thread under your six packs topic.

Cmon mate be straight, you're form orlando,aus,us or singapore? How can anyone here take your advice if you're dodgy?

What does sQ in your nick stand for by the way?
'If you feel alive
in a darkened room
Do you know the name
of your solitude..'

oceanmist
Regular
Regular
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed, 26 Apr 2006
Contact:

Postby oceanmist » Sun, 14 May 2006 12:39 pm

rachelkoh87 wrote:u mean i dont even have the chance to go for it..??

cause my friends say i can wear scendals... is it true...??


Hi rachelkoh87,

understand your frustrations.

The previous walk-in I went, they'll have application form for your to fill in outside the waiting hall. After filling in the form, you'll proceed into the waiting area. However, there will be this lady taking your height at the entrance even before you get to go in.

There was this girl after me, who didn't meet the height requirement and was rejected at the door. It could be really embarrassing as she just bluntly said "you're not tall enough".

Fellow posters here have already given their kind advice, if your insist to try, you can still go ahead, this way at least you can answer to youself =)

joeykoh
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon, 03 Apr 2006

Postby joeykoh » Sun, 21 May 2006 12:23 pm

hi there.first time posting in this forum.

I would like to be a flight stewardess too. Have a degree with NTU back in 2003, and am doing masters in English.

I am 1.70m dont wear specs, ideal weight, relatively flawless complexion. Wondering what it takes to be an air stewardess.....

worried about my age though....cos I am 26 this year.......and will be stuck in my present company till 2007 june. I will be getting married end of thie year too. What are the chances of getting accepted into the job?

If chances are slim, i will stay on with this present company.........:(

User avatar
Matt10
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu, 06 Apr 2006

Postby Matt10 » Sun, 21 May 2006 12:32 pm

Why dont you try CABIN CREW EXECUTIVE?

because they take in those who are Degree holders preferably with Honours. Now that you have Masters, it will be an advantage.

So why don't you try? I dont think cabin crew executive have strict requirement on age.

Anyway, if you want to apply for normal position of cabin crew, 26 year-old is acceptable. Go for it.

Goodluck

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Sun, 21 May 2006 12:58 pm

joeykoh wrote:hi there.first time posting in this forum.

I would like to be a flight stewardess too. Have a degree with NTU back in 2003, and am doing masters in English.

I am 1.70m dont wear specs, ideal weight, relatively flawless complexion. Wondering what it takes to be an air stewardess.....

worried about my age though....cos I am 26 this year.......and will be stuck in my present company till 2007 june. I will be getting married end of thie year too. What are the chances of getting accepted into the job?

If chances are slim, i will stay on with this present company.........:(


One view would be: you are 'over qualified' and the airline interviewers will want to know why you want a job below your capabilities. Since you are getting married I presume you intend to have children. Give it some serious thought the last thing you want is a job with a contract that says 'you must not get pregnant' within a specified time. In addition the time you will be away from your partner not to mention the stress it will add to a your relationship - a common factor mentioned by a pilot in this forum.
Sorry to be so discouraging but you need to examine the facts more closely before making a decision you may regret later.

Plavt.

12am
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Sat, 06 May 2006

Postby 12am » Mon, 22 May 2006 11:46 am

Plavt wrote:
joeykoh wrote:hi there.first time posting in this forum.

I would like to be a flight stewardess too. Have a degree with NTU back in 2003, and am doing masters in English.

I am 1.70m dont wear specs, ideal weight, relatively flawless complexion. Wondering what it takes to be an air stewardess.....

worried about my age though....cos I am 26 this year.......and will be stuck in my present company till 2007 june. I will be getting married end of thie year too. What are the chances of getting accepted into the job?

If chances are slim, i will stay on with this present company.........:(


One view would be: you are 'over qualified' and the airline interviewers will want to know why you want a job below your capabilities. Since you are getting married I presume you intend to have children. Give it some serious thought the last thing you want is a job with a contract that says 'you must not get pregnant' within a specified time. In addition the time you will be away from your partner not to mention the stress it will add to a your relationship - a common factor mentioned by a pilot in this forum.
Sorry to be so discouraging but you need to examine the facts more closely before making a decision you may regret later.

Plavt.


Hi JoeyKoh,

I think you are in the similar situation like me. I agree with Plavt that airline interviewers will want to know why you want a job below your capabilities, but I do believe "over qualified" still can be one as long as you have good reasons and if you've what they're looking for to be a FA. Often peoples said "you are so qualified, why you...", " you are rich why you need ..", many hawkers in Singapore are PhD graduates, drives BMW, they just do what make their life happier. I do came across some stories in the forum that peoples with higher qualification get the job, of course some of them do regret, so think thoroughly why you want to be one ( we have almost one year to think about it...).

However, what Plavt said is very important and is the fact too: You are getting marry soon, how are you going to manage your relationship ( there are many real examples in the forum, the pregnant issue, no time being with kid issue, etc...and what if you are going to make it a long term career...). I believe one need to discuss with ones partner for that. Although having said so, I am sure there are many FAs with happy family too (FA cannot be bachelor and bachelorette for their whole life), it's a matter of how you manage your life.

joeykoh
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon, 03 Apr 2006

Postby joeykoh » Wed, 24 May 2006 11:54 pm

Matt10 wrote:Why dont you try CABIN CREW EXECUTIVE?

because they take in those who are Degree holders preferably with Honours. Now that you have Masters, it will be an advantage.

So why don't you try? I dont think cabin crew executive have strict requirement on age.

Anyway, if you want to apply for normal position of cabin crew, 26 year-old is acceptable. Go for it.

Goodluck


wat does a cabin crew executive do? do they get to fly? what's the starting pay?


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Airline Careers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests