Singapore Expats Forum

Will there be judgement before he dies?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

briceloh
Reporter
Reporter

Will there be judgement before he dies?

Postby briceloh » Fri, 12 May 2006 7:36 am

Looking at Mr. Suharto's health problems. Will there be any trials that he can stand for before he dies? His attorney-general even asked doctors to see if his health problems could be used to get the case of allerged corruptions dropped against him. Is that causing his health problems? Or was it the good food? :-k

How many of you thinks he is innocent and if not, why? Personnally, i guess there has to be transparency on how people like him amass their wealth. But if people like him has to be put to trial, will there come a time when other countries have to do so too?
IBMing

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 12 May 2006 11:35 am

But if people like him has to be put to trial, will there come a time when other countries have to do so too?

Many countries have, brice, and it has either created a mess or exorcised demons. These people have to held to account and their stolen riches returned to the people.
The Soeharto/Soekarno times are typical of third world ruling family elites hanging on to power, enriching themselves to the detriment of the general population.

It's totally disgusting - and I would add the Marcos mob and many more in Asia. No accountability, corrupt judiciary, powerful military, restricted personal feedoms etc . . . = Soeharto/Soekarno/Marcos/Duvalier/ etc . . .

'nuff said Image

briceloh
Reporter
Reporter

Postby briceloh » Fri, 12 May 2006 11:41 am

Vaucluse wrote:
Many countries have, brice, and it has either created a mess or exorcised demons. These people have to held to account and their stolen riches returned to the people.
The Soeharto/Soekarno times are typical of third world ruling family elites hanging on to power, enriching themselves to the detriment of the general population.

It's totally disgusting - and I would add the Marcos mob and many more in Asia. No accountability, corrupt judiciary, powerful military, restricted personal feedoms etc . . . = Soeharto/Soekarno/Marcos/Duvalier/ etc . . .

Yeah, i wonder when will there ever be justice. To have such a many thousand islands that are rich in resources and no shortage of manpower, and yet the majority people are still as poor as before. Is is just poor management or judgement?
IBMing

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 12 May 2006 11:48 am

Greed and not giving a flying duck about anyone that is not related to you.

'nuff said Image

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Fri, 12 May 2006 1:24 pm

Vaucluse wrote:I would add the Marcos mob and many more in Asia. No accountability, corrupt judiciary, powerful military, restricted personal feedoms etc . . .

Well, it's a good thing this doesn't sound at all like our beloved little red dot!
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 12 May 2006 2:04 pm

jpatokal wrote:
Vaucluse wrote:I would add the Marcos mob and many more in Asia. No accountability, corrupt judiciary, powerful military, restricted personal feedoms etc . . .

Well, it's a good thing this doesn't sound at all like our beloved little red dot!

GordonGekko
Regular
Regular

Look at today, not yesterday

Postby GordonGekko » Sun, 14 May 2006 4:19 am

I would like to rock the boat and see this from another angle: yeah, we all know that Suharto and Marcos weren't exactly choir boys, but sometimes you gotta try to see if there's any options. What's the options here? SBY? GMA? Think again. Both Indonesia and the Philippines are in the gutters now, not mainly because the countries were poorly managed 10-20 years ago, but because they have poor management today.
You do what you are.