Singapore Expats Forum

HR Policies

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

wirby

HR Policies

Postby wirby » Thu, 11 May 2006 6:01 pm

Im not really sure if any of you know this, but is the HR policy in Singapore the same as in Europe, Asia or America?
Wirby

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 May 2006 6:06 pm

NO! Not by a long shot.

http://www.mom.gov.sg/FAQs/

Here you can technically discriminate by race, religion, gender, age and hat size if you want. It's "recommended" that you don't but there are no laws of recourse if you do it.

Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter

Re: HR Policies

Postby Quasimodo » Thu, 11 May 2006 7:04 pm

wirby wrote:Im not really sure if any of you know this, but is the HR policy in Singapore the same as in Europe, Asia or America?

Considerin the HR policies are different in Denmark and germany, Portugal and Poland, Ireland and Greece, US and Turkey, China and Australia, Burkina Faso and Vietnam . . .

I think the safe answer is no.

Unless there is a global HR policy everyone else uses . . .
One in the hand is worth two of something

ProvenPracticalFlexible
Chatter
Chatter

Re: HR Policies

Postby ProvenPracticalFlexible » Thu, 11 May 2006 8:49 pm

Quasimodo wrote:
wirby wrote:Im not really sure if any of you know this, but is the HR policy in Singapore the same as in Europe, Asia or America?

Considerin the HR policies are different in Denmark and germany, Portugal and Poland, Ireland and Greece, US and Turkey, China and Australia, Burkina Faso and Vietnam . . .

I think the safe answer is no.

Unless there is a global HR policy everyone else uses . . .

It is really quite safe to answer no as where I am even in same country different companies have different HR Policies. But on the other hand some MNCs may apply same HR policy globally if it isn't breaking local labour laws or other regulations.

wirby

Postby wirby » Thu, 11 May 2006 9:03 pm

The reason why I was asking was because I wasnt sure if it was the same as America, Great Britain or Asia, as Singapore has some sort of connection to all those countries. I am British and I am currently living in France and I know that there is difference in the HR policies between these two countries aswell as Italy.
Wirby