Singapore Expats Forum

Cyclist United....

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
legend

Cyclist United....

Postby legend » Thu, 11 May 2006 6:42 am

Hiya ALL,
We are a group of cyclists who started Mountain Biking and Road Riding in June 2005. We are known as WestEndRiders. We are interested to invite all cycling enthusiast to join us for some Fun Riding and Adventures!

We have organized off-road riding to Pulau Ubin and Track 15. Our 1st Overseas bike tour was Pengarang Malaysia
we have riders from all walks of life.. young and old.. who are with us to mingle, share some joys and laughters.. good times.
We cruise at a moderate speed of about 25-30 km/hr and we have a leader and sweeper in all our rides.

No one will be left unattended to their needs and all aspect of safety will be taken into consideration.
Our Group are equipped with walkie talkie set, medical and some basic tool supplies.

Sat May 13th - Lunch ride to Johore
Meeting at - Jurong east entertainment centre open space near mac
Time- 9 am

Do equip with helmet , enough water supply , valid passport ,some cash for lunch and of cos your bike :)

Have a nice day ALL
Thanks for viewing , feel free to contact for any enquires

Vic
http://www.westendriders.bravehost.com/index.html
"Appreciate every moment and take from it everything that possibly can,for it may only come once~"

MusicFever
Chatter
Chatter

Postby MusicFever » Thu, 11 May 2006 9:11 am

I am a cycling fan who doesnt like to wear helmet and be equipped like a professional. Am I still qualified to join? :lol: Keep me posted. Thanks!
When can I stop laughing?? Life is soooooo wonderful! :wink:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 May 2006 10:07 am

MusicFever wrote:I am a cycling fan who doesnt like to wear helmet and be equipped like a professional. Am I still qualified to join? :lol: Keep me posted. Thanks!

While I am not a member of this group, I am an avid cyclist of 58. I hope this group blows you off as you apparently possess very little common sense. You would be a danger to all other cyclists in the group as well as to yourself. You should not even be allowed on the road as a matter of fact.

MusicFever
Chatter
Chatter

Postby MusicFever » Thu, 11 May 2006 2:22 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
MusicFever wrote:I am a cycling fan who doesnt like to wear helmet and be equipped like a professional. Am I still qualified to join? :lol: Keep me posted. Thanks!

While I am not a member of this group, I am an avid cyclist of 58. I hope this group blows you off as you apparently possess very little common sense. You would be a danger to all other cyclists in the group as well as to yourself. You should not even be allowed on the road as a matter of fact.

I saw lots of ppl cycling on roads in Singapore without helmet, and other countries too. I agree it's better to wear a helmet for safety but it's just not compulsory and necessary at all the time. I know many cyclists I met here have not such a "commen sense" either no matter they are in Singapore or in their own countries, so they would be blown off by the group as they are dangerous to others too. I would like to suggest them to wear helmet next time, however. :wink:
When can I stop laughing?? Life is soooooo wonderful! :wink:

legend

helmet is a necessity

Postby legend » Thu, 11 May 2006 2:26 pm

Hi
thanks for the reply n feedbacks :)
Yes tho we cant enforce donning of helmet but we strongly encourage and advise our riders to put on
Helmet is just like any safety equipment - we never know when we need them but all it takes is to be of use ..just once ..n it could means saving our lifes..

We are out to chill out , hangout , sweat a lil..n some fun, our priority is also everyone come n go home safe n sound ..of cos ya may smell a lil after the riding but its all good:P

http://sg.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/westen ... /my_photos
here a link to some of the pic taken of our rides.. happy browsin , enjoy

Regards
Vic
"Appreciate every moment and take from it everything that possibly can,for it may only come once~"

Wimbledon Guy

Postby Wimbledon Guy » Thu, 11 May 2006 2:26 pm

I do not like to wear a helmet either, but I always do so because otherwise even a minor accident could easily result in my death.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 May 2006 4:57 pm

Wimbledon Guy wrote:I do not like to wear a helmet either, but I always do so because otherwise even a minor accident could easily result in my death.

My point precisely. Not only that, an organized ride comprising a large group of cyclists should always set an example to other riders (unless your the "Hells' Angles" Motorcycle gang of old). What kind of example are you setting for youngsters by flouting common sense. Just because it's not a law doesn't mean you should be stupid.

In the 24 years I've been cycling here in Singapore now, I've been knocked down 2 times by SBS Buses and once by a Merc. I was always wearing a helmet so aside from some minor scrapes and bruising I've always survived.

sms

sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi » Thu, 11 May 2006 11:39 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Wimbledon Guy wrote:I do not like to wear a helmet either, but I always do so because otherwise even a minor accident could easily result in my death.

My point precisely. Not only that, an organized ride comprising a large group of cyclists should always set an example to other riders (unless your the "Hells' Angles" Motorcycle gang of old). What kind of example are you setting for youngsters by flouting common sense. Just because it's not a law doesn't mean you should be stupid.

In the 24 years I've been cycling here in Singapore now, I've been knocked down 2 times by SBS Buses and once by a Merc. I was always wearing a helmet so aside from some minor scrapes and bruising I've always survived.
sms

Today a friend of mine who was cycling around school with his bicycle knocked himslef on a pillar because he was cycling with one hand.He did not wear any helmet and once his head hit the pillar blood started to gush out..A lot of it.It was a very unpleasent sight a girl fainted when she saw this incident..We are now waiting for the result of whether he might survive or not..
In order to receive,you have to believe that you have received. (The Secret)

legend

Postby legend » Fri, 12 May 2006 12:12 am

shazni
im sorry to hear about your friend, hope he has a speedy recovery,i pray he come through this good n lesson learnt

safety awareness is indeed so important

for we will never knows when things happen

sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sQ-StEwaRd-ShazNi » Fri, 12 May 2006 12:29 am

legend wrote:shazni
im sorry to hear about your friend, hope he has a speedy recovery,i pray he come through this good n lesson learnt

safety awareness is indeed so important

for we will never knows when things happen

Thank you.

Yup we will never know what happens in life unless you're a pshycic.
In order to receive,you have to believe that you have received. (The Secret)

Bonbon
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Bonbon » Fri, 12 May 2006 12:57 am

Legend, I like the idea of riding, guess I have to get my own bike eh, I tried trek 14 and 15 the other day, not bad...using my coach's $3k plus bike....

but i dont have a bike on my own, so have to get one first? and start road training yah?

Meeting Noor from SWCT tomorrow see what she says about a newbie like me going MB!

:)

legend

Postby legend » Fri, 12 May 2006 2:11 am

Hi Bonbon thanks for replying here
Ahh Noor ? Think i have spoken with her once about a charity ride, tell her im Vic , Rain's friend :)
If u are considering buying a bike i can give you some advise etc.. cos in a year i have change 5 bikes..upgrading downgrading change frame etc..gotta learn it the hard way lol .. some money there sigh..
And we do take good care of our new riders n friends cos we treat all like new till we know he or she can be comfortable and having fun riding etc..

legend

May13th Sat Ride to Jb

Postby legend » Fri, 12 May 2006 2:13 am

The Ride is Confirmed

Saturday May 13th !! Our Lunch Ride to JB
Meet up at JE entertainment centre mac - 9 am
Will be planning to ride out latest by 9:30 am

Target to be home not later than 3 pm if not earlier.

We will cross in JB via woodland custom.
Route - JE- Bukit Batok-Upper Bukit Timah- Krangi - Woodland
Returning the same route.
As for Johore - we are heading towards the eastern side of JB , no detailed map will be shown or destination made known. ( therefore you have to stay intact unless ya planning to ride to kl lol )
We will be taking the first car lane to the left ( just beside the motorcycle lane ) if the motorcycle lane is crowded ( have seek advice from the authority there n that’s what they told me ) at Sg Custom.Similarly on the left side at Jb Custom

We will deploy 2 leader n 2 sweeper plus 2 riders doing the flanking ( middle pack outer side ) , we will be using walkie talkie during the ride ,we hope to ride as a group constantly as we will be in a foreign land, so staying together is even more important.There will be new riders joining us for this ride so lets keep the speed less than 30 km/hr unless everyone is feeling comfortable and on a clear road then we may consider speeding up.

Note* - Do have sufficient water supply , Your Valid Passport ! ( if you have the white card pls do filled it up and have it ready ) , Helmet and blinkers , some extra Cash ( in RM n Sin )

Lets have a fun,safe and enjoyable Sat lunch ride to JB………..

Happy Holiday, Happy Vesak Day !

C'yall Sat Morning…………

Vic

legend

Good Ride

Postby legend » Sat, 13 May 2006 5:44 pm

Another good day with the flying dutchman.... ops cycling... weather been kind to us... its was raining when we were enjoying the seafood lunch..... returning with only light drizzlee.....

Thanks all who took the time to join us for this ride..coming for as far as pasir ris...cheers man!...

Have a nice weekend everyone..n to all the Mom out there ...you are the Best! happpy mother day ! -----)-@

Until we meet again.....

I will miss you Bro John have a good trip back home to Holland, cya soon

Ride safe ....Be safe....n Stay safe......

Regards

Vic

legend

Endau Rompin Recce Trip

Postby legend » Wed, 17 May 2006 6:33 pm

Hiya ALL

Im making a trip to Endau Rompin ( Pahang) this Fri Morning,its a recce trip to cycle at a approx 25 km trail , unspoilt , all nature , waterfall sight ..etc..

We will be taking a bus to Larkin and hop on a bus to Rompin..using the bike at our site. there will be proper lodging , bathroom and food ..

Lodging FREE... bike usuage FREE , water and air FREE.... Just bring your Passport, some cash for transport and food ..

Will be back on Sat evening... in time for the con air flight

Anyone interested just show up at KRANJI MRT TAXI STAND - FRI 19th - 7:30 AM or Call me to join ...we have 3 more seats available !

I promise i will bring you back home safe and sound

Vic