The Da Vinci Code

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
Post Reply
User avatar
Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 853
Joined: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:30 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by Baron Greenback » Wed, 10 May 2006 1:23 pm

I too have read all the Brown books, just because I went through a phase of reading trashy novels & a guy at work had them all. Very easy to read, good holiday books. I know what others mean by predictable & reoccurring style. He writes like he is penning a soap opera, every chapter ends on a cliff hanger which makes the books difficult to put down.

As I read dan vinci code I thought - this would make a good movie (i had the same feeling with Jurassic Park ages before the movie) - it followed a certain recipe, start with something exciting, to grab the audience & play it out bit by bit. So not too far in the hero is crawling through the toilet window & gets involved in a car chase with the French police.

I quite enjoyed digital fortress but I am a bit of a closet geek, I read Demons & Angels when JP II died - which was a bit spooky.

I will see the film, but am off to MI 3 tonight.

I would like to know what Bubbles thinks about the books
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

User avatar
Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 9:31 am

MI3

Post by Quasimodo » Wed, 10 May 2006 2:13 pm

The Vulture family boycotts Tom Cruise movies . . .
One in the hand is worth two of something

User avatar
Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1579
Joined: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 7:38 am
Location: Bedford Falls

Re: MI3

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Wed, 10 May 2006 2:17 pm

Quasimodo wrote:The Vulture family boycotts Tom Cruise movies . . .
Not Jerry MacGuire I hope...

I hate him too, but c'mon. That soundtrack alone is worth it.

User avatar
Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 853
Joined: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:30 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by Baron Greenback » Wed, 10 May 2006 3:28 pm

Risky Business was ok & Rain Man was very good, Top Gun is a bit of a classic now. I also enjoyed Minority Report & War of the Worlds come to think of it although I am not a TC 'fan' I would say that I enjoy most of his films
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

User avatar
Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1579
Joined: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 7:38 am
Location: Bedford Falls

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Wed, 10 May 2006 3:34 pm

Baron Greenback wrote:Risky Business was ok & Rain Man was very good, Top Gun is a bit of a classic now. I also enjoyed Minority Report & War of the Worlds come to think of it although I am not a TC 'fan' I would say that I enjoy most of his films
Have fun tonight Baron!

User avatar
Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 853
Joined: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:30 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by Baron Greenback » Wed, 10 May 2006 3:37 pm

Thank you MHB! :D
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

User avatar
Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1579
Joined: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 7:38 am
Location: Bedford Falls

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Wed, 10 May 2006 3:39 pm

Give us a review tomorrow, will ya?

User avatar
Loops
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 3:57 pm

Post by Loops » Wed, 10 May 2006 10:15 pm

Global Citizen wrote:Loooved the book and want to see the movie.

Why is it so far fetched?
There are loads of far fetchedisms (I just made that word up, did you like it??? :D ). Da Vinci Code isn't too bad, there were a few bits I thought were a bit much, but it is so long since I read it I can't pinpoint them all off the top of my head, I just remember thinking it at the time. Something to do with the grandfather and the ritual and him drawing clues in his entrails and Langdon leaping onto a moving truck I thought were far fetched, and a few others (I'd better read it again before the film).

There were more in other books, like the jumping out the helicopter in Angels and Demons and the big guy he has to fight, and Deception Point where they go floating off on an iceberg...........and live!

But hey, a good story usually has far fetched encounters. Look at James Bond, Mission Impossible and the Bourne Identity. Without far fetched they wouldn't be half as fun to read or watch.

User avatar
Vaucluse
Director
Director
Posts: 3443
Joined: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 2:47 pm

Post by Vaucluse » Thu, 11 May 2006 1:57 pm

Loops wrote:
Global Citizen wrote:Loooved the book and want to see the movie.

Why is it so far fetched?
There are loads of far fetchedisms (I just made that word up, did you like it??? :D ). Da Vinci Code isn't too bad, there were a few bits I thought were a bit much, but it is so long since I read it I can't pinpoint them all off the top of my head, I just remember thinking it at the time. Something to do with the grandfather and the ritual and him drawing clues in his entrails and Langdon leaping onto a moving truck I thought were far fetched, and a few others (I'd better read it again before the film).

There were more in other books, like the jumping out the helicopter in Angels and Demons and the big guy he has to fight, and Deception Point where they go floating off on an iceberg...........and live!

But hey, a good story usually has far fetched encounters. Look at James Bond, Mission Impossible and the Bourne Identity. Without far fetched they wouldn't be half as fun to read or watch.


Watch your mouth!!! James Bond is real - the rest are Hollywood
......................................................

'nuff said Image

User avatar
Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 853
Joined: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 12:30 pm
Location: Singapore

Post by Baron Greenback » Thu, 11 May 2006 3:38 pm

Give us a review tomorrow, will ya?
MI 3 was a bit of a let down I have to say. With the series and the first 2 films it was all about: "how on earth are they going to get out of this one?" and there was none of that. It was more about humanising TC's character & the relationship with his wife. No cool gadgets (apart from the acid spray foam to get someone out of an armoured van). 2 new characters in the 'team' didn't really get a look in & no character development. Explanation of the evil terror threat was never given properly. The twist at the end as to who was the bad guy wasn't that much of a surprise, cheesy ending. Even the theme tune was better in the earlier films

Just far too formulaic & got the impression it was a bandwagon attempt to make a bit of cash.

I would say don't bother - wait for the (pirate) DVD
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

User avatar
CardZeus
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 340
Joined: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 5:04 am
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Post by CardZeus » Thu, 11 May 2006 4:50 pm

Baron Greenback wrote:I would say don't bother - wait for the (pirate) DVD
That was out 3 months ago :D
The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is at all comprehensible.

User avatar
Quasimodo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 595
Joined: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 9:31 am

Re: MI3

Post by Quasimodo » Thu, 11 May 2006 7:07 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:
Quasimodo wrote:The Vulture family boycotts Tom Cruise movies . . .
Not Jerry MacGuire I hope...

I hate him too, but c'mon. That soundtrack alone is worth it.


Well, he did Risky Business before he went apeshit . . . nah, we just can't stand the sight of the little dipshit.
(Soundtrack good - TC =; )

Our household boycotts things made in China and Tom Bloody Cruise movies.

Not that our little protest would ever make aone iota of difference but that's what freedom of choice is about.
One in the hand is worth two of something

renter
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 6:46 pm

Post by renter » Wed, 17 May 2006 1:40 pm

At this moment before the real movie is released, it is worth watching for it's Tom Hanks and the story is intriguing, and for the marketing.

but reading good reviews always comes first before buying the ticket, even in star-studded movies. Reviews on those papers like Today or Straits Times are not counted.


I haven't really heard from many people who read a book and watch a film based on the book, and say the film is better. I almost can be sure that if you have read the book, you won't give a good rating to the movie.

User avatar
Loops
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 3:57 pm

Post by Loops » Thu, 18 May 2006 9:27 am

renter wrote:I haven't really heard from many people who read a book and watch a film based on the book, and say the film is better. I almost can be sure that if you have read the book, you won't give a good rating to the movie.
True, although I have to say that I really enjoyed Narnia earlier this year and I'm really looking forward to the next one (Prince Caspian).......yes, I know they are kids books, but most of us read them for the first time when we were kids.......so that counts!

I went to see MiIII this week too - I quite enjoyed it, but never having been a big fan of the series, and only having seen the first film, I'm not really qualified to say how it did compared to everything else. The audience in the cinema were weird though- they were cracking up at everything - the sort of stuff that would just perhaps make me smile was making them all laugh out loud. Most of them seemed to be school kids, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. Not sure what was going on there though :???:

renter
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 6:46 pm

Post by renter » Thu, 18 May 2006 1:28 pm

I only watched the MI1 on tv which is good. I decided to skip the MI 3 after reading lots of user and critic reviews saying the story is bad. the only good thing is still the fireworks shot on the camera but even the special exposion effects don't break any new ground. and arguably the best action is already shown on the trailer where Tom was blown to the car by the missile. haha.

explosions coupled with bad story is definitely a miss. of course tom cruise is a minor reason too. :)


kids are kids. and they are there probably just for some laughs and watch some filmed explosions and expensive cars shows.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Entertainment, Leisure & Sports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests